Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

GreyViper

Prophet
C & A treave You know the previous tities were a lie why would we bother with a tsundere type macho amazon? Id say we take along
Rinnefiela
Aria
Arlin
Runde he really needs magic training, healing maybe?

Also the hat looks ok, it could be worse.
big-hat-logan-concept.jpg
tumblr_l704mehDtk1qbzf0vo1_250.png

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well the scholar Goblin Runde seems to be only one who has actually traveled more places than Erisa and goblin village.
Runde was kept as a slave. I doubt he travelled much, and I doubt he has much many insights into the life of the locals than locals themselves.

If we take any gobbos with us, though, it should be him. He is not as dumb as the rest of them (I still laugh at Robust trying to cover us from a few arrows), and he is not a fighter type. He can be passed for a slave, or keep put of sight.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I kind a want to take some Gobbos along.
Yes, they seem mostly pretty dump, so thats why we should take some of them along. After all if intelligence fails, then one must rely on wisdom or experience...Well at laest opens Gobbos eyes on the world, who knows maybe they get inspired and try improve something back in gobbo village when we have finished information gathering.

Besides simpler minds might notice something that our great intelligence might not notice, when great continental brain wheels are turning....I also like Robust absolute honest and simple loyalty persona.

Nevill

Arcane
There is actually good question where did they even learnt the sword fighting skills? Was their father more than mere commoner?
Well, obviously, they are adopted.

I mean:
- There is never a mention of their mother anywhere.
- They were called unusually pretty for a pair of country hicks, suggesting that they have a better lineage. Aria is the best-looking maiden in the whole village.
- They are twins. You see any of those in stories, they are usually descendants of some royal line or something.
- Aria admits to training with a sword, while Arlin displays an uncanny proficiency with weapons. That is not a reaction/interest common to a villager.

And the biggest giveaway of them all is Erdrick's own attitude towards them, when he insists on not listening to the sob story of their lives which is bound to be uninterestng and irrelevant to the bigger plot. That can only mean that the time for the Dramatic Reveal has not come yet.

Besides simpler minds might notice something that our great intelligence might not notice, when great continental brain wheels are turning...
Yeah, that's what the kids are for. The Overlord manual suggests always having a five-year-old child on hand as one of the advisors, to point out obvious flaws in the cunning plans.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
I wanted a character with a bit more versatility, and in a more roundabout way, I guess I got it. As for the choice technique choice, not a big deal for me, but I'd love to go for the most aggressive, muscle-idiot option available.

For the town choice, given the demon gauntlet on our hand, I think it might be wise to avoid a fortress of paladins right now. If the gauntlet weren't stuck to our hand, I'd probably go there for the prospect of leering at the Knight Captain. Given the other options, B seems like it would be a great way to learn more about the wider world, but the prospect of magical relics is an intriguing one. Also, bringing goblins to the mining town makes some sense - they could simply pose as our slave miners. We probably shouldn't bring them into the city, however.

If someone can think of a good party configuration for the mining town, I'd like to hear it and might be willing to flop.

A B (Rin, Aria, Arlin)

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
C - We need physical defense rather than offense

B - With money we can buy entrance to a really big library. Also - prostitutes. I think this option will give us A and C in the long-run. Plus trade hubs are a cauldron of information

Rinnefiela
Aria
Arlin

The kids' job is to clean and keep us fed. I may flop to include some goblin companions, but it doesn't really seem necessary. It's also tempting to keep Rin back at the goblin camp so they aren't all slaughtered while we are away. It's a bit boring though.

Rex Feral

Prophet
C - because we're sure to end with more than one assassin on our tail, with all our magical exuberance (and assassins are usually counters for mages)

C (Arlin, Aria) > B (Arlin, Aria, Rin) > A (Arlin, Aria, Rin, Petze)

lightbane

Arcane
And finally, Equinos of the Golem.

Hm, I missed that one before. I wonder how it works. Is it some kind of possessed suit of armor? Or an actual giant golem? Either way, it has to be quite powerful by nature (and thus dangerous). We should attempt to get this one as soon as possible, if only because since Erd likes his summons so much, a giant murder-machine that follows us around and obeys our commands is clearly the next logical step. By the way, since these demonic martial arts techniques use mana differently than with spells, can these be used in an anti-magic field? If they do, then even better for us. Too bad that Barbatos doesn't know Erd's favorite choice for hurting people is all about lightning bolts and making others fight for him :lol:.

[..]and with the carrying capacity of the carriage you are confident of being able to turn your silver into more money along the way.

When did Erd get that money? I think it was part of the loot from the expedition, but I'm not sure right now. What happened with the stuff looted from the Erise battle? I assume part of it was given to the goblins, but they couldn't have taken everything.

Changing the topic, that one is a bitching hat. Pure :incline:. I would suggest that Erd wears gloves as well, if only to hide his suspicious tattoo. That reminds me: treave , did Rin notice the Gauntlet with her Eyes of Bullshit Seeing? Has she commented about it? And what's her opinion about the twins? If she still considers them barely better than trash, perhaps it would be better for her to remain at the village. Also, have the kids learned about Rin's real nature too or not yet? I would assume they would have asked a lot of questions about our main character's origins and everything by now.

Anyway, my votes:
1: C.
2: A. Let's go spelunking and give to the people that text-based Diablo they wanted so much.
3: Rinnefiela, Aria, Arlin, Runde, the village's priest. If that's too many, ignore the last one. I believe this party configuration will cover every possibility and/or provide lulz.

Well, obviously, they are adopted.

I mean:

- There is never a mention of their mother anywhere.

- They were called unusually pretty for a pair of country hicks, suggesting that they have a better lineage. Aria is the best-looking maiden in the whole village.

- They are twins. You see any of those in stories, they are usually descendants of some royal line or something.

- Aria admits to training with a sword, while Arlin displays an uncanny proficiency with weapons. That is not a reaction/interest common to a villager.

And the biggest giveaway of them all is Erdrick's own attitude towards them, when he insists on not listening to the sob story of their lives which is bound to be uninterestng and irrelevant to the bigger plot. That can only mean that the time for the Dramatic Reveal has not come yet.

Don't forget that they come from a Doomed Hometown (the fact that the village has suffered 6 attacks so far obviously means something) and they were saved by a Misterious Stranger with a Secret Past TM. They're definitively Hero material. Too bad that an alien who belongs to a race with murderous tendencies kidnapped them, breaking Fate's schemes.
:troll:
Perhaps we should pay a last visit to Erise village before leaving, if only to ask them where the bandit lairs are and thus quickly neutralize them. It would ensure we protect ourselves from certain troubles showing up later on.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
1) A
Well every tech got nice things. Mostly because there is no mana cost. I wonder if we can use magic and techs at the same time. A greatest strength is no one will expect from mage at all. B concussive force can give some opportunities and is ranged if I am correct. C helps us with ambushes and instances when those pesky anti magic fields are deployed.

2) B

3) Aria, Arlin, Runde

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, is slavery practiced in Methuss or other places in the surrounding Kingdoms? Just curious, as I was wondering if we could remain inconspicuous by bringing a few goblins into the city so that they could pose as slaves. And well, if someone decides to pony up a large sum of money for Robust, who are we to turn it down?

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
C
A
Runde, Ronust, Boss

Be mindful of the Demon Lord Barbatos. True, the Demon Lord Athos wanted us dead, but that does not mean Barbatos is sincere and did not betray Rin's great-grandfather.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
Created cunningly by Barbatos when he invented the tactic of running forward and punching through the plate armour of a human general.

I love this gauntlet. :lol:

Though, not enough that we shouldn't switch to being lefties for until we can secure women. I vote C for destination and Not Rin for people (she should carry on training the goblins and making sure it's defended. I don't care about anything else, all the techniques are great and most folks are probably interesting travelling buddies. Or they cause the interest with their presence. Either way.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, is slavery practiced in Methuss or other places in the surrounding Kingdoms? Just curious, as I was wondering if we could remain inconspicuous by bringing a few goblins into the city so that they could pose as slaves. And well, if someone decides to pony up a large sum of money for Robust, who are we to turn it down?
In that case, he's probably the only goblin we ought to take along. And we should leave Rin back at the camp.
Updating my vote to C B (Aria, Arlin, Runde)
Taking Rin along is probably a terrible idea, the girl has almost zero impulse control and I don't want to be dealing with her shit the whole way. Aria and Arlin are useful because they're children and human, so they'll probably be able to do things we can't. I thin Runde is a must, since he'll be the most familiar with outside customs and rules. I don't expect him to be as useful as Petze was in the wilderness, but having a guide is good.

Nevill

Arcane
Taking Rin along is probably a terrible idea, the girl has almost zero impulse control
Really?

I mean, there is a lot of reasons not to take Rin along and split the responsibilities, but this?

Leaving aside that the latest encounter tempered her by quite a bit, which is evident from a shift in her attitute, I'd also like to point out that she went along with our orders at Erise. Despite her thirst for human blood she didn't move until we gave the order and restrained herself from joining the main fight as per the plan (and as it turns out, to her detriment).

I think you are not giving her a fair shake.

Baltika9

Arcane
That was in the middle of combat. She's got a pretty itchy trigger-finger, no matter what she says. If we do take her along, I'm sure it can be mitigated and controlled if we assign someone to keep her in check (like the kids?), but I don't want to spend this trip taking care of her issues. We have important shit to do.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
If we take a Rin along, then we should take at laest one or two gobbos to make her less impulsive.
She clearly likes them, so she is less likely start any fight that could hurt her dear gobbos....Then again she might be twice as agressive in order to defend gobbos.

I am kind torn between the mining town and market town.
With market town we are much likely to hear news from diffrent kingdom and most likely get cash, a very universal toy to get more toys.
However...
The mining town presents unique oppurtunity to get diffrent ores to our crazy magical experiment and I bet a thriving town should be decent oppurtunity to get news.

As for party members we probably should think what we need beyound those towns, if I understood correctly those are towns are visiting places while the main destination is methuss capital.

Should we go to mining town to get ores for experiment and perhaps sell more mundane ores at the capital? OR maybe we should go to market to get exotic goods to nobility, while visiting prince?

Whatever we do, we need a back mule and Rin defninately won't lower herself to be one and I am worried that the cow will have too much weight.

Perhaps optimal party order for each town is: twins, Rin, Runde, Robust, Prezta?
We need some sneaks too and pezta is only one with competence in the area.

Baltika9

Arcane
I dunno, man. I don't think that taking a full wagon is a good idea. We're going to have less storage room on the wagon, in case we pick up some fresh talent or women; and the party management of the 'oh no, Robust and Rin ran off to liberate some goblins!' variety could interfere with us getting the stuff we need done.
I think we ought to keep our initial party compact.
If we take a Rin along, then we should ta Prezta?
Petze is now Pretzel.

Nevill

Arcane
If we take a Rin along, then we should take at laest one or two gobbos to make her less impulsive.
Good call, seeing how Petze's intervention provided her with an incentive and resolve to try and shake off mind control. Still, the presence of a goblin might get us into trouble in the first place.

Petze is a forest scout, though, not a city one. I think if gobbos had D&D classes, she would be a ranger.

As for party members we probably should think what we need beyound those towns
Yeah, pretty much this. Do we expect enough trouble down the road that we might need a partner to have our back?

Since I suspect some kind of a conspiracy in Methuss because of the attempt made on the Prince's life, I am willing to err on the side of caution.

I am kind torn between the mining town and market town.
I would prefer the market one, if only because it is an element Erd is familiar with. A language of money is universal, so there is less potential for our alien nature to mess things up, and our skills are geared towards this direction.

Magical ore is interesting... but I don't know how relevant it is to our situation. The usefulness of money is easier to understand.

'oh no, Robust and Rin ran off to liberate some goblins!'
Implying that Robust can violate your direct order. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
Petze is a forest scout, though, not a city one. I think if gobbos had D&D classes, she would be a ranger.
Which is why I think Runde is the better pick: he had some experience with the locals and probably knows small details that can help us. I don't know if he can be considered a rogue, but we could send him to LARP a slave if we need to.

Nevill

Arcane
Which is why I think Runde is the better pick: he had some experience with the locals and probably knows small details that can help us. I don't know if he can be considered a rogue, but we could send him to LARP a slave if we need to.
This I can agree with, and it seems what the general sentiment of the current voters comes down to.

Runde has enough experience with people and can understand enough of their language to play along whatever legend we pick for him. It also does not hurt that he is the most intelligent out of the bunch.

Esquilax

Arcane
I would prefer the market one, if only because it is an element Erd is familiar with. A language of money is universal, so there is less potential for our alien nature to mess things up, and our skills are geared towards this direction.
Magical ore is interesting... but I don't know how relevant it is to our situation. The usefulness of money is easier to understand.

Well, I can suppose that we can buy a library full of magical tomes or acquire some items, but given our situation with the gauntlet, I think that magical ores and precious metals are very relevant than it appears at first glance:

And there it is, a strange, translucent pink shard embedded in her side, just above her hip. You do not feel anything magical from the shard, but somehow it nauseates you.
The shard in your hand lets out a disquieting keen, trembling gently before you wrap it up in a piece of cloth torn from your cloak. You will take a look at it later.
However, when you bring it close to the shard, there is a reaction. The gauntlet vibrates, seeming to become more excited, while the shard trembles, as if afraid. You wonder if it means anything.

Learning about various ores might allow us to learn about what sort of properties that the shard that hit Rin and reacted so strongly with the gauntlet had. It seems like these ores and metals can be quite powerful in our hands if we know what we're doing. There are some things out there that might not be available in a marketplace, or if they are available, are way outside of our price range.

Runde's utility as a slave would appear suspect. He is weak and scrawny by goblin standards, and goblins are generally not seen as that smart to begin with. On the other hand, Robust looks the part but is sort of useless outside of combat. Hell, even in combat I'm not sure how useful he is. I could be down with selling him for money if that's an option, I could see him fetching a good price. Just tell Rin and the others that he died bravely in combat while we greedily count our shekels.

Baltika9

Arcane
Why risk it for meager profit? If we were selling bulk without eyes on us that would be a different matter. Anyway, my point was that Runde can act as a slave because he's been a slave before and knows what to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom