Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any possibility of a Linux port?

Cassidy

Arcane
I've been watching this game, and I like what I see so far. Now the thing is: I know most companies just ignore this stuff because of the Microsoft "support" and simplistic "Just 2% use Linux" turd, but I don't see any reason to not make a Linux port of an indie game like this one, so is making one on the plans, or VD, would you consider about it? I don't know much, but unless you're using DirectX or another Windows-only technology, I don't think it will be a too much time consuming task to make Linux binaries. And thanks to cross-compiling, it is possible to make Linux binaries in Windows and vice-versa, but of course having Linux to test it is not a bad idea. I really hope a Linux port of AoD is possible.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We are considering it. We can't afford to overlook markets.

Mangler

Novice
More people using Linux than Windows 98...

Niche games for Niche OS, its the Internet Way.

Psilon

Erudite
Depends on whether GarageGames resurrects the Linux ports of Torque, I would think. Didn't they deprecate Linux support for 1.4?

Nedrah

Erudite
Go for it - if anything, linux gamers should be even more starved for decent games than us windows losers. (Well, I do have a unix box - but somehow it doesn't see much use)

obediah

Erudite
As a linux user, I should be excited about this.

Especially since I often have things running for weeks or even months that keep me from rebooting to windows to engage in some gameplay.

Unfortunately, nothing fucks up a running linux box like X, and nothing fucks up X like putzing around with games.

I don't mean to discourage you from releasing a linux port, I'm just bitching because I have a pile of demos and game boxes that have been setting around over a month waiting for a few current projects to finish. I'm past sick of getting all my gaming through a console or (flashless) web browser.

Astromarine

Erudite
Just the mere remote possibility of being linked in Slashdot and those places might make a linux port worth it.

mathboy

Liturgist
If you make a Linux port, don't force people who want both to buy a copy of each, please.

almondblight

Arcane
I heard you guys were considering a Mac port...any updates there? It's a pretty decent market for indie games.

Haraldur

Augur
PLEASE make a Linux port. I have just checked through all the games I have with WINE, and not a single one worked, except for Thief, but that had no sound, which kind of defeats the object...

Otingocni

Novice
Haraldur said:
...and not a single one worked, except for Thief, but that had no sound, which kind of defeats the object...
Have you learned nothing from the ESF? Simply <s>pretend</s> role-play that Garrett is deaf and be on your way towards having fun in no time.

Imagine all the roleplaying you could do in Thief! Be a gardener, and water plants with your water arrows; be secretly employed to check the guards, and patrol looking for misconduct by the guards; have arachnophobia, tremble (shake the screen) and run away when you encounter spiders. Plenty of ideas out there for roleplaying!

Haraldur

Augur
But I wanted to role-play as a singing thief! The Merry Men of Sherwood wouldn't have been merry without it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom