Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingston plays Kult: Heretic Kingdoms

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got myslef Kult, and cannot install it because of the stupid installer that extracts itself onto the C: drive :(
And I only have one gig left on C: and it's not enough dammit and no I can't just uninstall shit or move it to other hard disks because my C: partition only has 8 GB in total.

I need *another* hard disk and make a big system partition there.

Shoelip

Arbiter
What language is that video in? It sounds sort of like German, but not.

I never played Divine Divinity. What was so great about it?

A user named cat

Not positive what language, Flemish I think? Someone better educated on languages would probably know, but I read somewhere the vid is in Flemish and aired on Belgian TV. What was so great about DD? It was finally a Diablo clone that could hold your interest and didn't make itself just another loot gathering, dungeon crawler. Large world to explore, hours of gameplay, tons of quests that didn't typically involve fed-exing, many distinct areas, bleak atmosphere, beautiful mood setting music, etc. On that last note, DD might possibly be an example of a game's soundtrack composed almost perfectly. Each region had a theme so fitting you couldn't imagine seeing the areas without hearing the accompanying songs with them.

Listen to some of it to get an idea of what I'm blabbing on about: DD Music collection 1

Rest is here: http://www.kirillpokrovsky.com/

Try the game yourself sometime, one of my favorite RPGs I've laid my hands on. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I would pimp it to anyone that is looking for a Diablo clone that wanted some Baldur's Gate flavor mixed in. It lacked some polish and some dungeons were just too damn long, but otherwise it's definitely worth a play through.

Norfleet

I gave this thing a spin, but it becomes horribly buggy even fully patched, and will, at some point, crash and corrupt all your saves. All of them. Even if you save in multiple slots, they will all become unloadable. And anything you put in a sack in your backpack may randomly get lost as the sack becomes unopenable. But losing all your saves regardless of how many slots you use is pretty much a game-breaker.

Texas Red

Whiner
Great thread. I like Let's Play threads about obscure games.

Shoelip said:
I never played Divine Divinity.

If you have nothing to play currently, DD is a good game to waste a week or so. Character creation is skill based and allows you to easily and effectively create a combination of warrior-mages and such. There is one HUGE world with no loading times that is filled with NPCs that have much to say, towns and many quests. There are even some C&C. Unfurtunetly, or fortunetly, there is a lot(a fucking LOT) of dungeon crawling and hacking at enemies. IMO, if not for the Diabloesque combat DD would be a classic. DD is basically a combination of Diablo and RPGs.

What is worth mentioning is the atmosphere that comes from a combination of great 2D graphics and that feel you can get only by European developers. You are immediately attacked by a wonderful experience of a village life the moment you start the game.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Norfleet said:
I gave this thing a spin, but it becomes horribly buggy even fully patched, and will, at some point, crash and corrupt all your saves. All of them. Even if you save in multiple slots, they will all become unloadable. And anything you put in a sack in your backpack may randomly get lost as the sack becomes unopenable. But losing all your saves regardless of how many slots you use is pretty much a game-breaker.

This isn't correct for most people. I don't know what the problem with your configuration is but the game is relatively bug-free and most certainly can be completed it. In the course of reviewing, I played it several times together with other team members and didn't have any trouble.

There was as issue with bags but that was patched very early - are you sure you are fully patched?

Texas Red

Whiner
What other obscure but possibly worthy RPGs are out there? Have you people tried Revenant? Can you comment on it?

Norfleet

Dhruin said:
This isn't correct for most people. I don't know what the problem with your configuration is but the game is relatively bug-free and most certainly can be completed it. In the course of reviewing, I played it several times together with other team members and didn't have any trouble.

There was as issue with bags but that was patched very early - are you sure you are fully patched?
Is there a newer version than 1.5? That's the newest one I could find, and applying it from the beginning did not apparently prevent the game from developing graphics corruption, or crashing and somehow forgetting ALL saves, even those that were not the most recent. It is otherwise fairly bug-free, but the fact that at any point it could crash and not only corrupt the current save, but ALL of them somehow, pretty much is a game-ender. The official site alleges this issue is fixed, but I've had the patch installed from the beginning, it says "1.5" at loadup, and yet this still happens. Clearly, it is a lie.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Let us continue our journey.

cap042vz1.jpg

As it turns out, the Overseer wasn't the person I thought it was. The only other place to explore is downstairs in the "Holy Chamber".

cap043qa8.jpg

That dead guy on the other side of the sun-dial must be him then. Looks pretty dead to me. Time to enter Dreamworld again.

cap044we4.jpg

A couple of level 2 Monk ghosts attack Lady Spinepunch. Lady Spinepunch dispatches both of them swiftly.

As they die, they leave behind some "essence". Essence gives you Attunement Points.

cap045ic2.jpg

That chubby fella is the ghost of the Overseer. Better go talk to him then. When you talk to someone in Dreamworld, the counter that determines how much time you have left stops, so you can discuss matters without worry of getting kicked out prematurely.

cap047la5.jpg

• Lady Spinepunch: Who are you? What rift? I'm here for the sword.
    Overseer: The sword is gone, and the thief - he has slain all the monks of the Order I was sworn to protect. I am the Overseer of the Monastery, and I have failed...
    Lady Spinepunch: I'm not doing anything until you explain what's going on.

Another "cinematic" kicks in. I'll only post a screenshot when the picture changes, you'll have to read the rest, to save on bandwith. I might miss out a sentence or two because my screenshot-taking isn't always that quick.

cap051aq4.jpg

All legends begin and end with the slaying of the God of the Land by the hero, Arkor. With the Godslayer sword, he brought an end to God, just as he brought about his own end.

cap054qu7.jpg

A pure descendant of Arkor's bloodline, the Theocrat was weak, and the sword thirsted for his blood. He kept alive the bloodline of Arkor, and sacrificed all women of the bloodline to the sword's appetites. The men were kept sacred.

cap057ju6.jpg

cap058bc3.jpg

For the second time in the annals of the Heretic Kingdoms, the people of Corwenth rose up to overthrow the rightful ruling power, bent upon the destruction of Taryn Arkor and all that he stood for.

cap060dy0.jpg

His motives are lost to history.

cap062bf4.jpg

It is a duty they discharged honourably until this day.

Is it just me, or why does the Monk have to explain this stuff to an Inquisitor, a destroyer of religions who surely knows a bucketload about them. Aren't these things some of the most important historical events in the world of Heretic Kingdoms? Meh, works for me.

• Lady Spinepunch: Who took the sword? I must pursue him.
    Overseer: There are more vital matters at stake! The theft of the sword has torn asunder the fabric of the arcane worlds (Secret of Mana, anyone?). If the rift is not sealed...
    Overseer: Talyn Arkor, our now deceased holy master, charged my line to guard the amulet of the Theocrat - its Attunement can seal the rift.

cap071ns5.jpg

Luckily, we had picked that up earlier. We go back to the Catherdal, and sure enough, we seal the rift. Time to report back to Master Valkarin.

cap073kc2.jpg

• Lady Spinepunch: Master?
    Valkarin: We must leave. At dawn, I intend to return to Kyallisar. You should search the surrounding towns and attempt to pick up the trail of the thief (Then that's what I'll do, wiseguy!)
    Lady Spinepunch: As an Inquisitor?
    Valkarin: No, the people of west Corwenth would not react kindly to your connection to the Inquisition. For the time being, you should keep your true allegiance hidden.

So, we'll have to go in undercover to get info on that sacred sword.

Till next time.

A user named cat

The Walkin' Dude said:
What other obscure but possibly worthy RPGs are out there? Have you people tried Revenant? Can you comment on it?
If I remember correctly, Revenant has speed issues on current PC's that I don't believe is fixable. Otherwise it seemed decent enough and had a good but difficult to control combat system, almost entirely keyboard-based with complex moves.

I've tried almost every non-mmo that can be found through torrents and rapidshare since you can't purchase most nowadays unless used. To be honest, most were all too forgettable and I couldn't really recommend you any that aren't known among these forums. Maybe "Evil Islands", "Soulbringer" or "Siege of Avalon"?

Oh and my bad Kingston, will stop hijacking your topic now.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Alrighty, another quick update.

You'll do no such thing. The more hijacking = the more posts = I get kool kodex points.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lady Spinepunch and Valkarin head to a nearby village. They stop at a campfire, and Valkarin explains just what the hell "attunement" is.

cap078jj6.jpg

cap079vn5.jpg

cap080hs9.jpg

cap081qu6.jpg

So, from what I gather, all weapons, armour and other items you find have attunements on them, and you will have to use those items for a certain period of time until that attunement is "unlocked". Then, at a campfire, you can change the attunement associated with that item. A strange blend of skills and equipment, that's for sure, and I don't really know yet how it fully plays out (or how good/crappy the system is).

• Lady Spinepunch: Why must we destroy the sword, master Valkarin?

Valkarin: It is a symbol of religion, child. Perhaps the greatest symbol ever wrought. Its destruction would mean a great deal to the Inquisition.
    Valkarin: I will leave at daybreak. See what you can learn from the villagers of this region, and meet me in Kyallisar once you have something tangible to report.

I think its pretty cool that the folks presented don't want the sword for the power!, or for the safety of mankind or anything. Bollocks to all that, they just want it destroyed because people like it. Nothing more.

Alrighty ho. Lady Spine punch decides to rest at the campfire, and immediately we are presented with a list of "AVAILIBLE ATTUNEMENTS". We pick all the ones we have.

cap087ai0.jpg

Woo! Now we can shoot lightning out of our Rod of Swiftness that we got from Valkarin earlier (the elemental test on the bridge). After wondering about a bit, Lady Spinepunch finds a graveyard. Surely the Dreamworld would have something in a graveyard?

cap091qm6.jpg

TYRAEL! The ghost is a guardian of the village, which has been captured by Taymurian raiders. He asks our assistance in rescuing the villagers, who are being held in a camp at the forest edge. Knowing this was a ruse, I refused - No, actually, like Oblivion, I don't get a say in either way. I get the quest added to my quest log. But hey, this is a full-blown action rpg, its not trying to be anything else.

I meet some of these furry Tamyrian raiders in the village. Being so weak, I run around waiting for my lightning to recharge and then zap them with it.

cap097jp8.jpg

They drop items like shields, swords, armor. I equip the best ones I can find and continue on on my journey. I reach the edge of the map and I'm thrown into a good old map screen.

cap098xg3.jpg

Off to the forest!

I deal with the furries and find that the unfortunate villagers are being held in some primitive prisons.

cap099mz6.jpg

I can't let them out until I've made sure the way is safe, so I go and kill whatever else is around.

cap100mx0.jpg

Shit! Leg it! LEG IT!

Actually after running far enough, Lady Spinepunch pulls out her wand (no tranny jokes please) and starts spamming a puny particle that does a little damage, while sometimes the lightning actives and it does *a lot* of damage.

cap101nq3.jpg

So far I've been a bit of a weiner in combat, so I can't really judge it much. "Hold down right mouse button and wait" is what its been like so far.

Piece of cake. The quest is complete, we get exp. Time to enter Dreamworld methinks.

cap102ce8.jpg

In Dreamworld we find a "Hex Mark". These give you ten Advancement Points with which you get to increase stats. Gotta catch 'em all!

Till next time.

A user named cat

Kingston said:
You'll do no such thing. The more hijacking = the more posts = I get kool kodex points.
Just meant didn't want to derail your topic into obscure RPG chat. I do want to see how far you'll play this and if you'll manage to finish it. I think I made it about 2-3 more hours into it from where you're at right now before growing bored of all the ghostworld switching and uninteresting areas.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Phantasmal said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
If I remember correctly, Revenant has speed issues on current PC's that I don't believe is fixable. Otherwise it seemed decent enough and had a good but difficult to control combat system, almost entirely keyboard-based with complex moves.

I've tried almost every non-mmo that can be found through torrents and rapidshare since you can't purchase most nowadays unless used. To be honest, most were all too forgettable and I couldn't really recommend you any that aren't known among these forums. Maybe "Evil Islands", "Soulbringer" or "Siege of Avalon"?

I second that about Evil Islands. The story isn't great or terrible, though the only choices are whether or not to do certain quests. The gameplay is where it's at though. It's a real time tactical strategy RPG I guess you could say. You can even go prone I think, and there are called shots and what not. Also, orc boobies! Oh yeah, and it's got multiplayer.

You can get it on Stardock.

TheLostOne

Savant
Head's up on a bug I found yesterday, latest patch.

If you change a weapon's element at a civil mage and put it in a backpack, don't equip it directly from the backpack or it will revert to its original element. You can keep it in a bag, just move it into your main inventory before equipping it.

I really like this game. Most quests are single solution, gameplay is mediocre, and there is a shitty interface, but the 2d landscape is beautiful, and the writing is pretty damn good. Not cliche anyway, and I'm actually interested in the story.

I've gotten bored with better diablo clones than this one, but I don't feel that way about Kult for some reason.

dagorkan

Arbiter
The language of the video is indeed Vlaams, it's quite distinctive.

GothIceStorm

Novice
I played Kult about a year and a half ago and i really enjoyed it.Has a really nice story,good graphics and it's interesting.If anyone knows anything about the release date of Kult:Reluctant Hero and good rpg similar games plz send me an e-mail on maky_luda@hotmail.com .ty :D

DiverNB

Liturgist
Wow, that monastery had some very interesting art. I really like those graphics, almost kind of reminds me of Silver

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
JarlFrank said:
Got myslef Kult, and cannot install it because of the stupid installer that extracts itself onto the C: drive :(
And I only have one gig left on C: and it's not enough dammit and no I can't just uninstall shit or move it to other hard disks because my C: partition only has 8 GB in total.

I need *another* hard disk and make a big system partition there.

Try to change the drive letters in the computer management of the administrative tools of Control panel classic view.

God windows sucks.

Murk

Arcane
The slideshow cutscenes were great, unfortunately the game was pretty much a one way tunnel. the spells were also a bit of a joke - basically balls of chromatic energy that went boom in a few different directions.

I did like the way healing was used in it tho -- there was never a way to get back to full health outside of resting and resting wasn't possible mid dungeon - only around certain campfires (think Witcher but less frequent). Otherwise you could only reclaim a certain amount of health by using healing, however the more you healed the lower your max health was (temporarily until rest, that is).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom