Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex RPGs with best atmosphere

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption had good atmosphere.
Unfortunately the rest of the game was mediocre. Combat and inventory management were actually terrible.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Some off the top of my head:

Diablo 1 - Great Gothic horror setting, and to think Blizzard went from their games looking like this to shit like Overwatch.

Icewind Dale - I love winter, so winter and D&D together is a perfect fit for me. Stunning backgrounds and that music.

Darklands - The mixture of historical setting and folklore/supernatural legends coming to reality is brilliant and the sheer research made this feel like a bundle of passionate love.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Some of the best looking forests/rural areas in a game and the night hours are fucking majestic in how dark they are. I sometimes open this game and just wander around during the evening and enjoy the solitude of it all with the ambiance. The atmosphere of this game is what latched onto me. Like a facehugger impregnating me with incline.

Baldur's Gate 1 - No other game makes you want to set off in a random direction and keep going. BG1 is a big pile of, "let's go on an adventure." Kingmaker comes very close to this, though.

Grimoire - I honestly love how this game looks and sounds. It has that proper old school look to it that so many other games wish they could pull off. There are some genuinely pretty areas in the game, the dungeons feel decrepit and unconquered, and the whole UI even manages to come together with the visuals. It mixes extremely well together.

Self-Ejected

Circuit the Short

Self-Ejected
Legends of Eisenwald is also good.

It's fantastic. Started playing it blindly without reading any reviews, and when the game started to slowly turn from historical to slav folklore inspired low-fantasy, i was like WOAH MEN. Sadly, the english translation is terrible, so you better know belarussian or russian to enjoy it.

Probably the best RPG game of the recent years.

2house2fly

Magister
If Stalker and Witcher 3 count as RPGs for these purposes then so does Bloodborne. Single most atmospheric game I've ever played. I was almost too scared to go through Yahar'gul at some points

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Anvil of dawn
Entomorph
Thunderscape

All 3 of those game have such a depressing feeling of despair that have stuck with me all this time.

Also, the ishar games get some points... There's something surreal yet beautiful about Silmarils games in general.

Silva

Arcane
If Stalker and Witcher 3 count as RPGs for these purposes then so does Bloodborne. Single most atmospheric game I've ever played. I was almost too scared to go through Yahar'gul at some points
I wonder how a Soulsborne novice would feel playing BB. I mean, we all played Dark Souls before so we were prepared... but someone totally new to the series playing Bloodborne? Woah, that must be scary.

vazha

Arcane
Atmosphere is one of the absolutely key aspects of the game for me. And so many games get it wrong, go overboard, sink into cartoonish/cardboard banality that I've come to value it to the point that I'm willing to turn a blind eye to pretty much each and every gameplay flaw if atmosphere is good enough.
A perfect example of this is Inquisitor, a game with atrocious combat but literally unparalleled (except perhaps Arcanum, which had vastly superior creative team and resources) atmospheric & aesthetic depth. Here are some other flawed gems I fell in love with because of a top-notch atmosphere.

Prelude to Darkness - Bugs galore, sure, but atmosphere is simply superb, like a masterfully painted mural. A bone fide proof that you dont need high end graphics to create the feeling of immersion.

Siege of Avalon - Same as Inquisitor. Atrocious combat, flawless art direction & atmosphere. BEST CHARDOLL ever.

Arx Fatalis - Sublime subterranean atmosphere. Arx Fatalis caves do feel like caves unlike host of other games where it's just a different texture and less lighting. Its dungeons are what all dungeons should be like. A know-how every game developer chose to overlook since.

Icewind Dale I & II - Nuff said about those.

Of Orcs and Men / Game of Thrones RPG - BROmances FTW!

Last edited:
While I unfortunately didn't enjoy the game, one thing I really loved about The Witcher was the atmosphere. The environments, urban or otherwise were absolutely immersive and alive.

Oh yeah, System Shock 2. I played it on hard the first time through. Very few games kept me on edge like that game.

Gentle Player

Arcane
My top list of atmospheric RPGs:

Souls games and Bloodborne. Top notch.

Anvil of Dawn. Very moody, and great art. Dungeon layouts were great but constantly putting rocks on pressure plates was tiresome.

Ultima Underworld I and II. Still top dogs as far as I'm concerned, and I love the way both games complement each other. The Void in UU2 is criminally underrated and it's beyond sad that despite technology being leaps and bounds ahead, no-one has even tried to better it.

Ultima VII parts I and II. Both are actually rather atmospheric and, as far as story based RPGs go, I prefer a simple plot with simple writing, in which the player must collect clues and note them down as they travel from town to town. It certainly beats going from town to town and accepting a checklist of structured, boring, and poorly written quests; and it's infinitely better than the trauma of playing pick and choose between a short list of "serious" "dialogue" options, which have limited effect on the game in the first place, and in which the chief difficulty the player faces is picking the least cringeworthy option. Less is more, and I still remember the angry drunken mage in Serpent Isle, with his few lines, more so than the overwritten, cringeworthy NPCs of modern RPGs.

Gothic I. I'm sure the sequel was a good game, and I spent more time on it, but I just don't remember it as much as original Gothic setting, with the prison camps.

Diablo 1. Apparently a seminal game. If so, I'm still waiting for the results. Everyone aped Diablo II, where you click on a rat and it explodes into 500 pieces of junk. I would like to see a proper sequel to the original Diablo.

King's Field and Shadow Tower. KF4 especially is a masterpiece in terms of level design and atmosphere. If KF4 had had a desktop release then I'm confident that it would have been lauded by Codexians, its dungeon design being of Looking Glass calibre. As such, it remains a console obscurity.

Ysaye

Arbiter
If KF4 had had a desktop release then I'm confident that it would have been lauded by Codexians, its dungeon design being of Looking Glass calibre. As such, it remains a console obscurity.

Hopefully ratTower won't let us down then with Monomyth! (No pressure).

I especially agree with you on Ultima 7, Underworld and Dark Souls, although playing Dark Souls 3 for the first time at the moment I am not sure the atmosphere is quite as good as the original.

I think . Arcanum yes, but a lot of that was due to the music more than anything else in particular - music makes the atmosphere in a lot of Dungeon RPGs (Eg. The Dark Spire, Elminage Gothic). Morrowind on the other hand created a great atmosphere through visuals as well as music; Icewind Dale (Kuldahar Great Tree) was the same.

Going back a bit further and maybe my memory is getting a bit tangled but I liked the atmosphere of Dungeon Master 2 - outside in the rain (thunder in the backdrop), the gruff merchants with their trading tables, the various annoying globs and the odd whirr from a spying attack minion.

Silva

Arcane
Planescape Torment anyone? Everybody remembers it for the dialogues but that city is moody as hell. Bar with burning dude and weird music still amazes me to this day.

Atmosphere?

Okay then:

TES games

Nwn2 and motb

Bg2 and 1

Witcher series

Fallout 1, 3, and new vegas

Kingdom come deliverance

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom