Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
3. Valve has never pursued exclusivity unlike the Epic you idolize so much.

I don't like Epic either, I just don't think there's a major difference. You can't categorize me as team red or team blue like you all try to do, you have to actually argue the merits. The merits here being "it doesn't actually matter to the consumer why they're exclusive."

4. With rare exceptions, you don't own a video game. Even if you happen to own a physical disk copy of it, you don't own the software on it, you merely have permission to use it. That's because of copyright.

This is the same old tired DRM apologizing shit people have been saying for years. If you're Atari good luck getting into my house and taking my discs and cartridges away when you close up shop and lose your licensing. Come on my property to do it without my permission and I literally have the legal right to shoot you. But oh yeah, sure, it's the same thing as DRM and the ability to change or revoke my game license over the internet. Sure. Let me know how Google Stadia works out for you Mr. "I never owned my discs anyway!"

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just posting to say three things:

1: I agree with Dexter's post above about how insane FeelTheRads sounds.

2: I have stated in this thread how I think that pirating because of spite is stupid, how Epic Game Store is massively retarded, and how I only use Steam reluctantly because superior marketing position. Mr. InsaneNutJob above doesn't even read the thread to check his outrageous claims.

3: I am frustrated because alternatives to Steam are proving to be insufficient in their standards of quality and customer support. Hop over to the GOG thread and you'll get a taste of what I mean.

hajro

Arbiter
"I have stated in this thread how I think that pirating because of spite is stupid,"

say that to my free vidya :mixedemotions:

I don't like Epic either

You seem pretty consistent in defending and supporting them.

This is the same old tired DRM apologizing shit people have been saying for years. If you're Atari good luck getting into my house and taking my discs and cartridges away when you close up shop and lose your licensing. Come on my property to do it without my permission and I literally have the legal right to shoot you. But oh yeah, sure, it's the same thing as DRM and the ability to change or revoke my game license over the internet. Sure. Let me know how Google Stadia works out for you Mr. "I never owned my discs anyway!"

If you think Valve is one day going to go HURR DURR NO MORE GAMES FOR YOU and delete everyone's Steam libraries, and then you also think that in such an absurd situation we wouldn't just be able to, you know, pirate and replace them, you're an actual retard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You seem pretty consistent in defending and supporting them.

Only to idiots who take objective analysis like "I think exclusives were their only avenue" as "defending and supporting" them. I'm a GOG fanboy who hates all clients, so why the fuck would I support Epic?

If you think Valve is one day going to go HURR DURR NO MORE GAMES FOR YOU and delete everyone's Steam libraries, and then you also think that in such an absurd situation we wouldn't just be able to, you know, pirate and replace them, you're an actual retard.

There are already games which forced patches which removed content, like GTA4, but yeah sure. DRM is wonderful. What a retard I am. Yes you can pirate them as a solution (for now), but as everyone said in the Ion Fury thread about Ogay soap, the principle matters.

passerby

Arcane
This GTA4 shit was so lame. Why don't just create a new app id for new purchases if your music license expired and let people keep the music they've paid for ?

Only to idiots who take objective analysis like "I think exclusives were their only avenue" as "defending and supporting" them. I'm a GOG fanboy who hates all clients, so why the fuck would I support Epic?
You're pretty consistent in defending epic whenever mention of them pops up, especially if it's for a game that went down the cancer road of exclusivity (I pirate those by the way, I haven't and never will split my games across two libraries). Even though, if you hate Valve this much, you should actually oppose epic coming into the games store business because they lower the bar of quality Valve needs to meet. They make Valve look good by comparison and remove any pressure on Valve to improve. Sort of the opposite of healthy competition.

There are already games which forced patches which removed content, like GTA4, but yeah sure. DRM is wonderful. What a retard I am.

GTA4, to my knowledge, doesn't use Steamworks as its DRM, it uses GFWL. So you don't need to run it as a Steam game and update it, if you really don't want it updated then you can just run the exe directly, or even add it into Steam as a "non-Steam game" if you want the convenience of a common launcher.
But I do wonder how you go from me explaining the difference between Steamworks (DRM) and Steam (not DRM) to "DRM is wonderful". Either you actually are a retard, or you're just choosing to ignore what I've said and pretend I said anything at all that would support DRM.

Yes you can pirate them as a solution (for now)

What do you even mean by "for now"? You can and always will be able to pirate games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
GTA4, to my knowledge, doesn't use Steamworks as its DRM, it uses GFWL. So you don't need to run it as a Steam game and update it, if you really don't want it updated then you can just run the exe directly, or even add it into Steam as a "non-Steam game" if you want the convenience of a common launcher. But I do wonder how you go from me explaining the difference between Steamworks (DRM) and Steam (not DRM) to "DRM is wonderful". Either you actually are a retard, or you're just choosing to ignore what I've said and pretend I said anything at all that would support DRM.

The rest of that post is a cyclical jerk-off that will never end, but just to address this. There are different levels of Steam features, you choose which ones you want. You don't have to full-on Steamworks to use Steam's .exe protections and whatnot. Very few Steam games, in my experience, allow launching without Steam running. Also, whether GTA4 uses .exe protection or not, it still forced the update that removes content unless you've kept Steam offline since before that patch came out. Also also, good luck downloading the original files from Steam today. Also also also, it's their ability to do such things that is shit, not necessarily how it's been used so far.

As for piracy always being a backup option, let's just say you have more faith in governments and corporations than I do.

Codex Year of the Donut
Nothing was stopping you from manually creating a backup of the game's content. This is completely the same as "owning a physical copy" of the game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nothing was stopping you from manually creating a backup of the game's content. This is completely the same as "owning a physical copy" of the game.

So a limited window to backup the game files before they took away your access, without an installer included, is the exact same thing as owning a disc with that content on it that no one can limit or control your access to for all time? Are you guys purposely being retarded to test my patience?

Codex Year of the Donut

So a limited window to backup the game files before they took away your access, without an installer included, is the exact same thing as owning a disc with that content on it that no one can limit or control your access to for all time? Are you guys purposely being retarded to test my patience?
You can download and back it up right after buying it. This is a feature directly supported in the Steam client itself.
stTXgNz.png

How is this different to obtaining a disk containing the exact same digital content you'd get with a backup?

Syl

Cipher
You know damned good and well that once you re-install one of those (((backups))), it's going to get compared to the current version and patched accordingly.
True. Backups can't be installed in offline mode. So they're useless in case Steam disappears.

AFAIK, a solution is to put the game folder and also current config files (in Steam\userdata) in a zip.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How is this different to obtaining a disk containing the exact same digital content you'd get with a backup?

It requires Steam going online and authenticating it to run? It will auto-patch anyway? Even if you somehow prevent the patch you'll have to stay in offline mode indefinitely? You had a limited time window to do this and if you weren't paying attention your game was patched and you're fucked? How many differences do you want to hear about before you stop being an idiot?

Codex Year of the Donut

It requires Steam going online and authenticating it to run? It will auto-patch anyway? Even if you somehow prevent the patch you'll have to stay in offline mode indefinitely? You had a limited time window to do this and if you weren't paying attention your game was patched and you're fucked? How many differences do you want to hear about before you stop being an idiot?
Nearly all of that applies to games you "physically" own that were made after 2005.

Codex Year of the Donut
Nearly all of that applies to games you "physically" own that were made after 2005.

Because they connect to a client like Steam, yes. The whole point of this conversation was "clients have downsides like X." I think you missed your pills today or something.
And you can get around it by downloading a simple steamworks crack.
Wait until you find out the games rely on you using a proprietary botnet operating system owned by one of the most predatory companies in the world.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And you can get around it by downloading a simple steamworks crack.

Stipulated that from the get-go, but I don't think it'll be an option forever.

Wait until you find out the games rely on you using a proprietary botnet operating system owned by one of the most predatory companies in the world.

It's coming, that's for sure. Hopefully I can just retire from new games at that point.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I took your post as an exaggerated mocking of Stadia. Either way, the end of piracy as a solution IS coming. It'll take a while to really take over, but streaming exclusives are the future. Hopefully I won't give a fuck about those games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom