Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods goes gold

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods; Trine Game Studios

Here's the <a href="http://press.jowood.com/html/News/news_details.php?id=1075&title=NEWS&bereich=61">press release</a>, with the original spelling:<blockquote>Liezen, Austria, November 10th 2008; Finally, it`s done: The gold master of Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods has been completed and delivered to the production facility. Developer Trine Studios and Publisher JoWooD Productions are delighted to release the game on November 21st 2008.
<br>
<br>
"A fascinating story combined with thrilling and various quests are ensuring that the fans of the Gothic series will experience many exciting hours in the official AddOn. We are happy to create this great transition to the already announced ArcaniA, hereby decreasing idle time for the community", explains Stefan Berger, Head of Project Management.
<br>
<br>
<b>About Gothic 3 - Forsaken Gods:</b>
<br>
<br>
Gothic 3 - Forsaken Gods includes new quests, new monsters and many of the old friends whom gamers around the world got to know in previous episodes. Gothic 3 - Forsaken Gods will answer all the questions which have risen in the past and will slowly introduce the fans to a new chapter...</blockquote>So, from what I remember this was going to be a stand-alone addon. Strange as the concept may sound, I guess it's because they didn't want to even try to fix Gothic 3's issues. Shame, as it's such a gem, if unpolished.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http:\www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I read that there is one more patch, 1.7, that will go out at the same time as this expansion, and it will be the final one.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If it's good as Gothic I've already purchased it. If it's good as Gothic 2 - I'll probably buy it. If it's "good" as Gothic 3 - I'll throw shit at it and be complaining a lot.

deranged

Cipher
I have an 8800GT and I still can't play Gothic 3...It stutters all the time...Which is a same as the game seems decent enough...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Konjad said:
If it's good as Gothic I've already purchased it. If it's good as Gothic 2 - I'll probably buy it. If it's "good" as Gothic 3 - I'll throw shit at it and be complaining a lot.
I doubt that Trine Studios ( http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42867 ... -Goes-Gold ), famous makers of Streets of Mumbai ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snkGpKEYlLs ) will deliver the kind of Gothic you are looking for... One can always hope, though.

I have an 8800GT and I still can't play Gothic 3...It stutters all the time...Which is a same as the game seems decent enough...
G3's engine is woefully un-optimised. It's not your card, it's your whole system. RAM is important for Gothic games. Defragmented HDs also helped. CPU can also bottleneck the GPU.

Still haven't finished G3. So many games, so little time...

deranged

Cipher
Well I have 2 Gigs of RAM and AMD x2 3800. Maybe that's hurting it...

Now that I think about though it shouldn't... These were top specs, pretty much, at the time of its release....

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
deranged said:
My version started to stutter after I upgraded from 1 GB of RAM to 3 GBs :D It's completely unplayable now.

Rhombus

Liturgist
Runs like a charm on my system, atleast with the latest community patch.

So is it standalone or a add-on...?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
G3 is easily the best Gothic; but not good enoguh to warrant me getting its expansion.

DefJam101

Arcane
G3 felt like an unofficial sequel to Gothic, to be honest. It was good... but it felt like a completely different type of game. I liked it better, anyways. Wish it had more human/orc sex.

Shannow

Waster of Time
deranged said:
Well I have 2 Gigs of RAM and AMD x2 3800. Maybe that's hurting it...

Now that I think about though it shouldn't... These were top specs, pretty much, at the time of its release....

8800 GTS (the old one), c2d 6600, 2 gigs RAM and it runs quite good. But people with higher specs reported problems. Since I never had any with Gothic I didn't follow the discussions. As I said, G3 seems to randomly dislike some systems, no matter the specs. But you might try the worldofgothic forums...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The big problem with gothic 3 wasn't the bugs and performance. It was the fact that it was like Gothic 2 but stripped of anything that was remotely intelligent. The game could go on without any of those generic dialogs, you could simply roam in the woods killing random stun-locking beasts and then get a couple of flashing messages like Oblivion's "sudden quest appearance" on how to liberate the copy-paste cities. For fucks sake, all of your buddies from G2 had nothing more to say to you axcept "Go and find out what's going on, we'll speek later"

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
G3 is easily the best Gothic

Agreed. Gothic 3 is the best in the series.

but not good enoguh to warrant me getting its expansion

I'll wait for some reviews before I think about buying it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Sooo, is this stand-alone or not? I'm pretty amazed that this info seems so incredibly hard to find. Nothing on the website, none in the previews and some speculation on forums that it's stand-alone.

A user named cat

Can't believe anybody would say G3 is the best in the series with a straight face. The game was a complete piece of shit, not only due to bugs but because of the awful, braindead combat and generic fantasy looking world you're forced to clip through. Talk about bad taste.

Gothic 1 and 2 are so far above it, this discussion shouldn't even need to take place.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Nah, G3 was pretty cool, as long as you had the system to run it. It's fuckin ridiculous how the game runs on systems with 1GB or RAM, no matter the CPU or GPU. Anyway, I hope this expansion runs smoother. If it does and impressions are positive then I might get it. I'd certainly fancy a Gothic game this winter.

coaster

Liturgist
G3 was pretty good (if it ran OK on your system, which it did on mine). It still had a lot of the atmosphere of the earlier games and I liked the factions and the town liberation dynamics. The combat might be getting a significant tweak in the final patch 1.7. The one remaining major downside for me - which no patch will rectify - is as ghostdog said:

For fucks sake, all of your buddies from G2 had nothing more to say to you axcept "Go and find out what's going on, we'll speek later"

I'm not optimistic that things will be much better in Forsaken Gods, but will probably give it the benefit of the doubt and buy it anyway.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I'd say they do different things well, like Fallout 1 and 2.

Fallout 1 had great atmosphere, but was short and had a small amount of C&C. Much like Gothic 1 and 2.

Fallout 2 had less atmosphere, but had a ton of role-playing opportunities and lots of C&C. Much like Gothic 3.

A user named cat

Considering Gothic is an action RPG series and they completely flubbed combat in G3, I'd say that makes the choice quite easy. The hell with C&C and roleplaying, those take a back seat when the core gameplay is so messed up.

A user named cat

Wouldn't be surprised to see it leaked already though.

Got NBA 2k9, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Cod: World at War and Tomb Raider: Underworld early. Lot of random shit to play, go pirates go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom