Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Okay fam, to those of you who have beaten the game, how "evil" can you be in this game? I'm yet to see anything impressive besides the one time you can encourage Siora to kill a wounded soldiers. Also, how much can you fuck over the natives? A few examples perhaps? I'm getting bored of the game, was wondering if there's anything down the line worth seeing.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What I really wanted was to end as a king on a throne made of the skulls of my enemies. The game did not provide

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I honestly do not care about spoilers at this point. Do give concrete examples if you please, just put it in a spoiler tag or something so the rest don't get butthurt.
At one point player character gets to choose a new king for the natives, and by that I mean a true king, higher in status than other chiefs. Player can choose Ullan from Vígnámrí as his candidate, and, as is usual in such cases, Ullan wins. If so, Ullan then sells the island, part by part, out to the colonisers, thus dooming the natives to subjugation and possibly slavery (okay, that last part is an interpretation, but it's a logical outcome).

I honestly do not care about spoilers at this point. Do give concrete examples if you please, just put it in a spoiler tag or something so the rest don't get butthurt.
At one point player character gets to choose a new king for the natives, and by that I mean a true king, higher in status than other chiefs. Player can choose Ullan from Vígnámrí as his candidate, and, as is usual in such cases, Ullan wins. If so, Ullan then sells the island, part by part, out to the colonisers, thus dooming the natives to subjugation and possibly slavery (okay, that last part is an interpretation, but it's a logical outcome).
Hmm okay, that has some promise. What about personal acts of evil the player could commit? Thanks for the replies btw.

Codex Year of the Donut
Hmm okay, that has some promise. What about personal acts of evil the player could commit? Thanks for the replies btw.
There's a lot of choices where you can do some cartoon villain-tier acts of evil IMO

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
There's thing thing that player character can do at the end of the game which is arguably quite evil and twisted - you can supplant natives' deity by killing him/it and taking his/its place with Constantin. There's not a lot of herp derp I'M EVIL in KotOR1 style.

There's a lot of choices where you can do some cartoon villain-tier acts of evil IMO
There's thing thing that player character can do at the end of the game which is arguably quite evil and twisted - you can supplant natives' deity by killing him/it and taking his/its place with Constantin. There's not a lot of herp derp I'M EVIL in KotOR1 style.
Hmm i'm getting some conflicting reports here. I'm not necessarily interested in cartoon villainy, but obvious acts of evil. This game is doing a miserable job of holding my interest.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I don't quite get these conflicting reports, what can you supposedly do a lot in this game which is on KotOR1 Dark Side choices level?

Besides, you're misguided in asking us for info on the game to keep you interested. You're not = don't play. You'll have an easier life with this, correct, approach.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, I don't quite get these conflicting reports, what can you supposedly do a lot in this game which is on KotOR1 Dark Side choices level?
There's plenty of instances where you can side with the obviously "bad" people. I think felipepe mentioned it earlier in the thread. Also plenty of instances where you can just kill people/let them die through inaction.

Besides, you're misguided in asking us for info on the game to keep you interested. You're not = don't play. You'll have an easier life with this, correct, approach.
It boils down to me searching for stuff that will interest me later on. As it is, the game does offer *some* elements that i like. It's a treat to look at for example. I'm on the fence, so it's not as clear cut as "I'm not interested". Just waiting for the game to wow me.

There's plenty of instances where you can side with the obviously "bad" people. I think felipepe mentioned it earlier in the thread. Also plenty of instances where you can just kill people/let them die through inaction.
I see what you mean.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
I can think of one such instance (
evil inquisitor in faithfags Don Matteo questline
). Player character can't side with
Asili
for example, which would be bad in KotOR1 style, can't side with
Egon
and so on and so forth.

Codex Year of the Donut
You theoretically could side with guy B against gal A in one of the quests, but why would you is beyond me, it's sort of like a case of Dark Side choices in KotOR1. Guy B is written as an obviously evil guy, nothing morally grey 'bout him and his position, it's theoretically valid in some respects but no, it's not really valid in any way 'cause of how it's presented in the game
:M

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmm i'm getting some conflicting reports here. I'm not necessarily interested in cartoon villainy, but obvious acts of evil. This game is doing a miserable job of holding my interest.

Here’s the issue: for the first half of the game you don’t have much agency, then suddenly you start getting more and more opportunities to make major world-changing choices. Some of which are good old-fashioned self-serving evil.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm speaking there in the quoted exactly 'bout the
evil inquisitor from Don Matteo questline
who I mentioned in a message directly above i.e. that's this one singular instance I can think 'bout+MYou would have known if you played this game :smug:

I don’t know, after the ending of Technomancer I’m leery of telling the public the truth about anything in a Spiders game. But I guess you can take out the bad guy and still accomplish his larger goal.

Ovg

Cipher
Siora was ok and got colonized in my playthrough. I wonder if wearing full native clothing would impact the dialogue.

Game was ok just ok. It reallly needs fast travel.

My opinion is we had a huge drought this year in rpgs. It was enjoyable but the trash mobs were annoying. My char with zweihander and companions with full legendary weaponry cut through them like butter. Running back and forth was so bad I almost quit.

Play it when it goes on sale.

Well I've made up my mind. I absolutely hate this game. The core mechanics are atrocious and nowhere near engaging enough to make it a game you play for gameplay only. What would have saved it is good writing and RP, but even that is severely lacking too. Everything is bland, boring, and anemic. Worse, De Sharter never stops being a bleeding cunt which completely ruins muh colonialist immursion.

Let me tell you an anecdote: I had a piece of string in my hand at some point during a dialogue. I was listening to the conversation and unconsciously began tying said piece into a knot. It got really complicated as i was trying to make the knot in a very unusual way. Then the conversation in-game came to a point where i had to make a choice to advance the dialogue. I didn't bother in the least. Not only did I have no idea what was being said (I vaguely remember De Cunter proclaiming her position with the merchants guild in her incredibly faggoted, pompous manner for the hundredth time), but I was way more interested in the string and the autistic knot i was making. I just let De Farter and the mudcrab she was talking to stare at each other, awkwardly and unblinkingly, as I went on making my string into a piece of art - which this game never can be. Fuck GreedFall, and fuck Spiders.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is interesting. Now you can filter user reviews by playtime.

ma9X4S5.png

Currently GreedFall is maintaining review score of 78%. If you count purchasers outside Steam it's 79% based on 3,021 reviews. Now from there, let's filter them by playtime
  • > 1 hr - 82% (2,708 reviews)
  • > 2 hr - 84% (2,440 reviews) - refund limit
  • > 3 hr - 85% (2,183 reviews)
  • > 4 hr - 84% (1,935 reviews) - is this what Carls Barkley was talking about? But it's 1-2% difference not so significant.
  • > 5 hr - 83% (1,753 reviews)
  • (going back and forth between 83 and 84)
  • > 10 hr - 84% (1,091 reviews)
  • > 20 hr - 85% (583 reviews) - played more than 20 hours, you probably like this game!
  • > 30 hr- 86% (370 reviews)
  • > 40 hr - 88% (194 reviews)
  • > 50 hr - 92% (91 reviews) - these people like GreedFall THIS MUCH
Also look at them by range:
  • 0-2 hr - 57% (590 reviews) - refund timeline
  • 0-5 hr - 73% (1,274 reviews)
  • 5-10 hr - 82% (662 reviews)
Not so unexpected result, some people were put off by the first impression of janky-ness, or realized this game is not for them. (It seems this is pretty common to other games, 0-2 hr review scores are generally lower than the overall scores by 20~30%. Even D:OS 2 got 78% (overall is 95%) score from the range. Why, they stopped playing the game so early for a reason.)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is interesting. Now you can filter user reviews by playtime.

ma9X4S5.png

Currently GreedFall is maintaining review score of 78%. If you count purchasers outside Steam it's 79% based on 3,021 reviews. Now from there, let's filter them by playtime
  • > 1 hr - 82% (2,708 reviews)
  • > 2 hr - 84% (2,440 reviews) - refund limit
  • > 3 hr - 85% (2,183 reviews)
  • > 4 hr - 84% (1,935 reviews) - is this what Carls Barkley was talking about? But it's 1-2% difference not so significant.
  • > 5 hr - 83% (1,753 reviews)
  • (going back and forth between 83 and 84)
  • > 10 hr - 84% (1,091 reviews)
  • > 20 hr - 85% (583 reviews) - played more than 20 hours, you probably like this game!
  • > 30 hr- 86% (370 reviews)
  • > 40 hr - 88% (194 reviews)
  • > 50 hr - 92% (91 reviews) - these people like GreedFall THIS MUCH
Also look at them by range:
  • 0-2 hr - 57% (590 reviews) - refund timeline
  • 0-5 hr - 73% (1,274 reviews)
  • 5-10 hr - 82% (662 reviews)
Not so unexpected result, some people were put off by the first impression of janky-ness, or realized this game is not for them. (It seems this is pretty common to other games, 0-2 hr review scores are generally lower than the overall scores by 20~30%. Even D:OS 2 got 78% (overall is 95%) score from the range. Why, they stopped playing the game so early for a reason.)
Game and it's quality aside this is a damn useful metric for analysis.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Being at the refund time doesn't mean that they refunded it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom