Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Tigranes

Arcane
ABB.

I think there's good reasons to keep moving and find another village, but equally, I think there's a good chance that the next settlement we find is far less disposed to take in and help a bloody, scarred, limping youngster with an alien baby.

And if we are going to stay in this town, then sticking around in the church seems the best way to try and keep the baby with us. Hard to protect baby from diseases and malnutrition etc. if we're on our own, and hard to keep custody if we go into a family.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ABB rather easy to decide. The education and socialization is going to be more useful than the farm shit for now. We'll have plenty of time to get shredded like Jesus once we go adventuring. We're definitely keeping the kid, and I think the adventuring aspiration is much cooler than the settle down one. I think any kid would much rather be traveling the world than doing boring kid shit. And IK the adults will be thankful for it as well.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's 10/9 with baud's vote unclear (Baltika counts it as a vote for 1B, so potentially a 10/10 instead of 11/9). You might want to clarify it, bro!

But I don't mind 1A, so it isn't a sticking point.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
White knighting for elves and now dreaming of settling down on the farm. This cucked kid. :negative: Let's plan on marrying the butchest chick in town, enjoy being pegged every night she not banging someone more interesting, and raise as many children that aren't our own as possible. Sounds like fun.

Absinthe

Arcane
Seriously what the fuck is up with the 1B votes? We're not going to be the guy who settles down and lives a quiet life. We all know it. 1B is just a vote for being ill-prepared when adventure comes knocking (and that goes for our kid too, who is sure to end up having his own adventures, given how we found him) and we'll end up having to break away from that idiocy the hard way. Are you guys somehow thinking that 1B is the only way to be a responsible parental figure or something? Because we're going to make sure to look after the kid regardless. If anything I feel like dedicating ourselves to a sheltered upbringing is the more reckless choice, when we know we're going to end up uprooted.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Seriously what the fuck is up with the 1B votes? We're not going to be the guy who settles down and lives a quiet life. We all know it. 1B is just a vote for being ill-prepared when adventure comes knocking (and that goes for our kid too, who is sure to end up having his own adventures, given how we found him) and we'll end up having to break away from that idiocy the hard way. Are you guys somehow thinking that 1B is the only way to be a responsible parental figure or something? Because we're going to make sure to look after the kid regardless. If anything I feel like dedicating ourselves to a sheltered upbringing is the more reckless choice, when we know we're going to end up uprooted.

Not really, I think that we'll be thrown into adventure whether we like it or not. Our old master may still be looking for us (if his name is Shulgi, then he is definitely looking for us), and this baby is probably the child of someone very important in the setting. In any case, being a reluctant hero is a very common trope and there are a million examples of this. Baltika9 mentioned John Wick a few pages ago - not sure if that's the direction that we'll end up, but that's a pretty good example of a guy that didn't give a shit about getting involved in anything until circumstances forced him into action.

Not that it matters much anyways, I think 1A takes it by a vote.

Absinthe

Arcane
True, but knowing the codex I'm rather certain we'll be breaking with the reluctant hero archetype by deliberately going after heroics (rather like how we abandoned our prey to go after the distress call, doubling down on rescuing the woman despite being outmatched, then escaping with the kid from our master, and doubling down on caring for it). So it seems like with 1B we're just setting ourselves up in a direction we won't be true to regardless.

In the scheme of things I'm not really bothered by what wins here, but I am perplexed by how ill-fitting it seems and yet people vote for it anyway.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
First choice seems to be a deadlock for now going by the flips, so I'll lock the latter choices to BB for now while we see how the first choice resolves. It won't affect how soon the update comes out.

Baltika9

Arcane
Guess I'm a hot commodity now. A does win by raw votes, BUT baud is voting by packages. His ADA vote flops to BBB, tying A and B for first place.

===Penultimate poll===

==1st choice==
A - 12 (11)
B - 9 (10)

==2nd choice==
A - 0
B - 15 (16)
C - 2
D - 2 (1)

==3rd choice==
A - 3 (2)
B - 15 (16)

Because baud is voting by package, and his ADA package is not winning, I flopped his entire vote to BBB.
Life of the Party - ABB
asxetos - ABB
Azira - ABB
CappenVarra - ADA
ERYFKRAD - ACX
Storyfag - ABB
Absinthe - A C>D>B A
Grimgravy - ABB
Tigranes - ABB
ItsChon - ABB
MoistCloister - ABB

Baltika9 - BBB
Kz3r0 - BBB
Zerafall - BBB
Nevill - BBB
hello friend - BBB
Esquialx - BBB
Kipeci - BBA
a bear named spigot - BBB

oscar - BBB>ABB
baud - ADA>BBB

===

Seriously what the fuck is up with the 1B votes? We're not going to be the guy who settles down and lives a quiet life. We all know it. 1B is just a vote for being ill-prepared when adventure comes knocking (and that goes for our kid too, who is sure to end up having his own adventures, given how we found him) and we'll end up having to break away from that idiocy the hard way.
Like you yourself said, we will end up uprooted no matter what we do. I was also on the 1A train for the same reason you are: I thought that an adventuring mindset will prepare us better for what's coming and enable us to take better care of our little sibling. But then I realized that this is another choice that affects our character's mindset and personality, not his ability to solve problems. I think that 1B is indeed the Responsible Big Brother Option, because it specifically focuses on the child and on giving it a stable upbringing, which is ultimately what I want to do. Should adventure (in the form of our old mater, or those Hentai Nazgul) come for us, 1A and 1B will be equally inclined towards answering the call to adventure, for different reasons: we either wanted to get out of this joint, or we have to answer the call for the sake of our ward. I, obviously, want the latter.

TL;DR: like Esquilax said, I want to play a John Wick/Lord Protector Corvo type of guy, a RESPONSIBILITY FISH to Jing's YOLO TIGER if you will, and be the grumpy brother/mentor to our bubbly younger sibling.
:love:

(rather like how we abandoned our prey to go after the distress call, doubling down on rescuing the woman, then escaping with the kid, and doubling down on caring for it). So it seems like with 1B we're just setting ourselves up in a direction we won't be true to regardless.
I don't know about that. Meeting a person being assaulted by a tentacle monster and an abandoned child are definitely extraordinary circumstances for our hunter boi. A responsible person could be inclined to act as we did in these situations.

White knighting for elves and now dreaming of settling down on the farm. This cucked kid. :negative: Let's plan on marrying the butchest chick in town, enjoy being pegged every night she not banging someone more interesting, and raise as many children that aren't our own as possible. Sounds like fun.
Psst! Hey, bro, you're not seeing the big picture here: this kid is our only way to get some quality pussy. You think girls will want to hang out with a guy with moleskin on his face? Of course not. We gotta reel them in with our awesome parenting skills and adorable baby and then BOOM, we're in! I'm talking top-shelf wife material here, bro. Think Arwen and Galadriel.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Like you yourself said, we will end up uprooted no matter what we do. I was also on the 1A train for the same reason you are: I thought that an adventuring mindset will prepare us better for what's coming and enable us to take better care of our little sibling. But then I realized that this is another choice that affects our character's mindset and personality, not his ability to solve problems. I think that 1B is indeed the Responsible Big Brother Option, because it specifically focuses on the child and on giving it a stable upbringing, which is ultimately what I want to do. Should adventure (in the form of our old mater, or those Hentai Nazgul) come for us, 1A and 1B will be equally inclined towards answering the call to adventure, for different reasons: we either wanted to get out of this joint, or we have to answer the call for the sake of our ward. I, obviously, want the latter.
I think the issue with being committed to a sheltered upbringing is that it does an inadequate job of preparing you for the decidedly un-sheltered conditions we and our kid are certain to have later. We're still going to have a stable upbringing either way.

TL;DR: like Esquilax said, I want to play a John Wick/Lord Protector Corvo type of guy, a RESPONSIBILITY FISH to Jing's YOLO TIGER if you will, and be the grumpy brother/mentor to our bubbly younger sibling.
I think we're set for that much either way. Our MC is already the responsible, stoic type who is determined to care for our kid. That does not change, regardless of A or B.

I don't know about that. Meeting a person being assaulted by a tentacle monster and an abandoned child are definitely extraordinary circumstances for our hunter boi. A responsible person could be inclined to act as we did in the situation as well.
Lolno. A reasonable person would gtfo. Even if they heeded the distress call they would probably get out after the first beating. And immediately doubling down on escaping our master with the kid and burning the hut behind is also beyond a normal response. We already crossed lines into deliberate heroics. We had multiple opportunities to walk away or go with the flow and we deliberately refused them. And we know we're going to do more of that sort of thing.

Psst! Hey, bro, you're not seeing the big picture here: this kid is our only way to get some quality pussy. You think girls will want to hang out with a guy with moleskin on his face? Of course not. We gotta reel them in with our awesome parenting skills and adorable baby and then BOOM, we're in. I'm talking top-shelf wife material here, bro. Think Arwen and Galadriel.
Something tells me the elves aren't religious the way the local church is though, which is part of what gives me trepidation towards the commitment to just settling down in the church. I wouldn't be surprised if it causes problem down the line. I think it's better to be more open-minded towards the outer world here.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I think the issue with being committed to a sheltered upbringing is that it does an inadequate job of preparing you for the decidedly un-sheltered conditions we and our kid are certain to have later. We're still going to have a stable upbringing either way.
Exactly. Like I said, this is a choice that influences personality and mindset, not the upbringing we will receive. We are in agreement on this point.
Lolno. A reasonable person would gtfo.
I said responsible, not reasonable. And, yes, we did engage in outright heroics. Incidentally, I want to play a reluctant hero. An ordinary responsible person would GTFO like you said; a heroic responsible person would engage, like we did. I see no contradiction.
Something tells me the elves aren't religious the way the local church is though, which is part of what gives me trepidation towards the commitment to just settling down in the church.
Okay, but my point still stands: we're ugly as sun and our cute kid and awesome parenting skills are our best ways around that.
I wouldn't be surprised if it causes problem down the line.
Don't make me call down the Codex Catholic Defense Squad.
:rpgcodex:

Absinthe

Arcane
Exactly. Like I said, this is a choice that influences personality and mindset, not the upbringing we will receive. We are in agreement on this point.
Well the disagreement is that the sheltered mindset itself seems ill-suited to our future circumstances and our own decision-making behaviors.

I said responsible, not reasonable. And, yes, we did engage in outright heroics. Incidentally, I want to play a reluctant hero. An ordinary responsible person would GTFO like you said; a heroic responsible person would engage, like we did. I see no contradiction.
All the same, the point I am making is that our MC is the kind of person who will intentionally chase heroics. The reluctant hero archetype does not fit us. We won't be true to it regardless. We're the kind that dives into trouble, not the kind that gets mired into it.

Something tells me the elves aren't religious the way the local church is though, which is part of what gives me trepidation towards the commitment to just settling down in the church.
Okay, but my point still stands: we're ugly as sun and our cute kid and awesome parenting skills are our best ways around that.
We're going to parent well either way. But I'm a bit perplexed that with our elf child there are votes saying we're not going to parent with an eye towards the outer world (which will prove important to the both of us, no doubt) and instead settle for the world we see around us.

Don't make me call down the Codex Catholic Defense Squad.
I'm not really sure what that has to do with the fact that the elves will probably not be of the same religion and that some open-mindedness would be warranted.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
We're going to parent well either way. But I'm a bit perplexed that with our elf child there are votes saying we're not going to parent with an eye towards the outer world (which will prove important to the both of us, no doubt) and instead settle for the world we see around us.
Let's take a look at B again:
You dream of settling down with the baby and raising it as well as you can. After years of scrounging up all you can in the forest just to stay alive, you would appreciate it if you could retire to a more stable and quiet lifestyle.
It states, explicitly, that we are looking forward to having some peace and stability in our life with the purpose of providing a stable upbringing to the child and some peace and quiet for ourselves. Neither of these seem like bad ideas: children need a stable household to grow up well (this also goes for us) and we need all the rest we can get to recover from five years of slave labor and child abuse.I think that 1B is a good mindset to have.
Well the disagreement is that the mindset itself seems ill-suited to our future circumstances and our own decision-making behaviors.
This is a metagaming mindset. I would rather we choose the option that explicitly cares for the child, not the adventures.
All the same, the point I am making is that our MC is the kind of person who will intentionally chase heroics. The reluctant hero archetype does not fit us. We won't be true to it regardless. We're the kind that dives into trouble, not the kind that gets mired into it.
The Codex is, yes, but the character doesn't necessarily have to.
I'm not really sure what that has to do with the fact that the elves will probably not be of the same religion and that some open-mindedness would be warranted.
LG1KN-Q4_400x400.png

How can a church upbringing be harmful to a child, you heathen?!

Seriously, though, I hope we won't get any requests to play the priest's flute.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Psst! Hey, bro, you're not seeing the big picture here: this kid is our only way to get some quality pussy. You think girls will want to hang out with a guy with moleskin on his face? Of course not. We gotta reel them in with our awesome parenting skills and adorable baby and then BOOM, we're in! I'm talking top-shelf wife material here, bro. Think Arwen and Galadriel.
source.gif

Absinthe

Arcane
Let's take a look at B again:

It states, explicitly, that we are looking forward to having some peace and stability in our life with the purpose of providing a stable upbringing to the child and some peace and quiet for ourselves. Neither of these seem like bad ideas: children need a stable household to grow up well (this also goes for us) and we need all the rest we can get to recover from five years of slave labor and child abuse.I think that 1B is a good mindset to have.
I beg to differ. We will be giving a responsible and caring upbringing either way. But a sheltered upbringing is only good if you anticipate a future life in a peaceful and stable society where we can grow at our own measured pace. We're not going to have that. We know this.

This is a metagaming mindset. I would rather we choose the option that explicitly cares for the child, not the adventures.
It's not a metagaming mindset to recognize our own decision-making tendencies. And personality votes are mired in metagaming anyhow. There are limits to how "in-character" your decision can be when you're deciding on what your personality is.

hello friend

Arcane
Adventure ensnaring the sheltered and unprepared is a tried and true fantasy trope. It's fine. Stop overthinking this, we don't need to conform to a specific archetype or character concept from start to finish. People act inconsistently irl too.

Baltika9

Arcane
It's not a metagaming mindset to recognize our own decision-making tendencies.
It is metagaming to then make in-character decisions based on that knowledge, though. Our character has no knowledge or awareness of the things coming his way, so I think this choice ought to be made without anticipating any calamities which may or may not be coming.

I'm going to give this argument a rest now to let people decide for themselves how they want to vote. Our discussion is starting to get repetitive and sound like this:

P.S.: Mel Brooks and Leslie Nielsen are awesome. Why oh why did Mr. Brooks not make a History of the World, Part II? :(

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I thnk the metagaming bit is reaching, honestly. Self-awareness is not relegated to OOC and votes on personality development are not conducted IC anyway, because those are the votes that determine what IC is.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
think that 1B is indeed the Responsible Big Brother Option, because it specifically focuses on the child and on giving it a stable upbringing, which is ultimately what I want to do. Should adventure (in the form of our old mater, or those Hentai Nazgul) come for us, 1A and 1B will be equally inclined towards answering the call to adventure, for different reasons: we either wanted to get out of this joint, or we have to answer the call for the sake of our ward. I, obviously, want the latter.
Bad reasons. Us traveling around once the child hits 13 or 14, is not inherently less responsible than staying put. I see no reason why we have to put our entire fucking life on hold just to care for the kid.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guess I'm a hot commodity now. A does win by raw votes, BUT baud is voting by packages. His ADA vote flops to BBB, tying A and B for first place.

Sorry, I hadn't realized that the vote wasn't supposed to be by package :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom