Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trying to remember the name of a quasi-old school party based CRPG

spentmotiff

Barely Literate
Hi all,

I've recently gotten back into old school party based CRPGs ("blobbers") and have been wracking my brain trying to remember this game I played around 2007ish that was recommended by a friend.

I remember it looked very Might and Magic 4-7ish with 5-6 characters per party. I remember they were all displayed in the lower part of the screen horizontally and I remember that you could pick their voices/personality for each member (like Wizardry 8.) I remember the world being a huge place to explore but you start out in a seaside town where your main enemies were crabs. The graphics were pretty bad for even the time I played it (the crabs were really hard to see when they walked towards you as they were a red shape on the ground) and this is why I stopped playing.

I've looked at both the Wizardry and the Might and Magic series and none of the games seem to be an exact fit. The game seems closest to Might and Magic 4-7ish but I distinctly remember being able to pick the voices for my characters (which was my favorite part of the game.)

Any ideas? My Google-fu has failed me and I'm really regretting throwing away my old disks. I'm almost thinking it was something I cooked up in a fever dream at this point (although I'd hate to have Freud come by and tell me what dreaming about small, red, graphically bad crabs means.)

spentmotiff

Barely Literate
Thanks all! That may be it. In my memory the graphics were way worse but it's definitely worth a shot in checking out. :)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Hi all,

I've recently gotten back into old school party based CRPGs ("blobbers") and have been wracking my brain trying to remember this game I played around 2007ish that was recommended by a friend.

I remember it looked very Might and Magic 4-7ish with 5-6 characters per party. I remember they were all displayed in the lower part of the screen horizontally and I remember that you could pick their voices/personality for each member (like Wizardry 8.) I remember the world being a huge place to explore but you start out in a seaside town where your main enemies were crabs. The graphics were pretty bad for even the time I played it (the crabs were really hard to see when they walked towards you as they were a red shape on the ground) and this is why I stopped playing.

I've looked at both the Wizardry and the Might and Magic series and none of the games seem to be an exact fit. The game seems closest to Might and Magic 4-7ish but I distinctly remember being able to pick the voices for my characters (which was my favorite part of the game.)

Any ideas? My Google-fu has failed me and I'm really regretting throwing away my old disks. I'm almost thinking it was something I cooked up in a fever dream at this point (although I'd hate to have Freud come by and tell me what dreaming about small, red, graphically bad crabs means.)
Anything else that might help?
Was movement free or did it happen in predefined steps with 90 degrees turns?
Was combat real-time or TB?
What sort of disks was it in? Floppies, CDs or DVD?

spentmotiff

Barely Literate
Weird! OP's original description make me think of Wizardry 8 immediately. Yet he said it's not right there.

Sounds like WnW too similar to W8.

After your post I did some digging and I'm like 90% sure it is Wizardry 8. I could have swore that the character portraits were horizontal at the bottom but everything else really checks out. Thanks for the help!

That's awesome. Thanks!

Anything else that might help?
Was movement free or did it happen in predefined steps with 90 degrees turns?
Was combat real-time or TB?
What sort of disks was it in? Floppies, CDs or DVD?

Sorry for being so obtuse in my description. It was one of those times where I kinda sorta remembered something. I think it's Wizardry 8 but if it's not than it is truly lost to time. :p

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom