Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decent games you gave up on due to particular aspect.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
1. Pathfinder Kingmaker. There's something about this that I like but I just don't know the system. I do plan on playing Wrath of the Righteous when it comes out. The fact that they added turn based is very good. Maybe by then I'll learn a bit about the ruleset.

2. Fallout 2. I played FO1 last year for the first time and I liked it very much. I did a Predator build, stealth boy, alien blaster, energy weapons. Very cool. Also did a diplomatic thief build, with sneak, speech and lockpick I think.
For some reason I just can't get into FO2 which is a damn shame because I hear it's the best one, having more options and such, but I think what deters me is the forced combat. Everywhere I look for guides, all of them suggests picking up at least one combat skill. I played the game for a while, restarted, tried different builds and I can confirm: you absolutely need a combat skill. This was not the case in FO1 or NV. You could finish those games without killing anyone. And I assume that's why I put it aside for so long. I'll try again at a later date. With a combat skill this time.

3. Hitman 2016 and 2018. Played them for a little bit. Not a fan of the huge maps, accident opportunities everywhere, inventory limited to only like what 3 or 4 items, online only progression, rating system reduced to 1-5 stars, console influence evident with prompts all over the place, challenges telling you where to go and how to kill your target, weapon upgrades removed, notoriety system removed, newspapers at the end of a level removed, human shields removed, elevators and garroting from above removed, blood trails removed, sniper rifle assembling and disassembling animations removed, hideout removed, peeking through keyholes removed (they could have added a camera that can go under doors like in Splinter Cell) etc. They kept the instinct system, added a minimap and refined some aspects, added hiding in foliage like in AC and FC.
Not enough in my opinion. And I hoped that in Hitman 2021 they will bring at least some of these elements back, but no, they instead added VR. Don't see myself coming back to this franchise in the foreseeable future.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
1. Pathfinder Kingmaker. There's something about this that I like but I just don't know the system. I do plan on playing Wrath of the Righteous when it comes out. The fact that they added turn based is very good. Maybe by then I'll learn a bit about the ruleset.

Not sure how far you got, but I'd argue doing acts 1-3 and maybe 4 and then quitting is the best way to play that game.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
K

Not sure how far you got, but I'd argue doing acts 1-3 and maybe 4 and then quitting is the best way to play that game.
I got past the time limit in the beginning and to the kingdom management system. Then I explored, got into fights I couldn't do, explored some more and eventually restarted. Multiple times.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I got past the time limit in the beginning and to the kingdom management system. Then I explored, got into fights I couldn't do, explored some more and eventually restarted. Multiple times.

Ah, that's pretty early. Fucking game is 150 hours long. There's a good number of fights early on that you're not supposed to be able to beat yet, like the wererats in the cave or that big lizard dude. Kingmaker also loves its buffs and debuffs, so if you're someone who ignored that shit for the most part in Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age then you're going to have to learn to do it, and it often requires seeing what the enemy uses (poison) and then reloading and buffing against it.

Outside of those two things, I don't think it's a hard game at all really. Certainly not harder than the similar classics. Not saying that to belittle you at all, just in the sense that you were probably thrown by its mechanics focus and can do it if you learn those mechanics.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

Ah, that's pretty early. Fucking game is 150 hours long. There's a good number of fights early on that you're not supposed to be able to beat yet, like the wererats in the cave or that big lizard dude. Kingmaker also loves its buffs and debuffs, so if you're someone who ignored that shit for the most part in Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age then you're going to have to learn to do it, and it often requires seeing what the enemy uses (poison) and then reloading and buffing against it.

Outside of those two things, I don't think it's a hard game at all really. Certainly not harder than the similar classics. Not saying that to belittle you at all, just in the sense that you were probably thrown by its mechanics focus and can do it if you learn those mechanics.
Hm, those are good tips. So buffs and debuffs help a lot. I used those in Dragon Age so I'm familiar with the way some of them can turn the tide.
I also didn't have a clear picture of what character I wanted to make so there's that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
HI also didn't have a clear picture of what character I wanted to make so there's that.

I did a crit-focused dual-wield rogue but the goblin companion can fulfill that role nicely. There's also a tank, bard, two-hander and an amazing archer. The glaring hole in the companion roster is a paladin and I'd bet choosing the default paladin at the start would be a good choice, or just make your own that is similar. That's a guess though since I had no paladin due to there being no companion one, heh.

Despite all the annoyances in the game I plan to do a turn-based Paladin run at some point, at leas through the first few acts.

Dramart

Learned
Holy shit man you have the worst taste in level design I have ever encountered in my life.
Oh gosh. That's too much I believe, I just meant to say that exploring was being boring and it would've been more fun just shooting enemies. I don't think I have bad taste in levels, I have never thought about it, but I believe I have a decent taste in games. I'll pay attention to levels in the future, thanks.

-Jerry

Please, quit gaming forever.
You say it like if I disliked the greatest game of all time, it's a game with clunky combat and except here in the codex nobody cares about.

DraQ

Arcane
Holy shit man you have the worst taste in level design I have ever encountered in my life.
Oh gosh. That's too much I believe, I just meant to say that exploring was being boring and it would've been more fun just shooting enemies.
Then play a fucking shooter? Preferably modern one where you're confined to a scripted scene rollercoaster.

I don't think I have bad taste in levels,
Most people with bad taste taste don't.
I have never thought about it, but I believe I have a decent taste in games.
And most people with bad taste do, funny, isn't it?
It also applies to stupid people thinking they are smart, for example.
Or assholes thinking they're being nice.
No need to thank me, BTW.

You say it like if I disliked the greatest game of all time, it's a game with clunky combat and except here in the codex nobody cares about.
I spy with my little eye something that starts with "B".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Literally everyone cares about Deus Ex, even mainstream game journo rags acknowledge the importance of Deus Ex, it has been called the "best game ever made" for almost two decades now and people still aren't stopping calling it that, Deus Ex is a masterpiece of level design, interactive storytelling and player-driven gameplay. It is one of the most important, if not the most important, game in the so-called "immersive sim" genre, which includes other heavy-hitters such as Thief, System Shock, Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis and Dishonored.

I can understand people who dislike Deus Ex for various reasons, it is a clunky game after all. But you dislike it for exactly the reasons that make it such a great game. The open-ended levels, multiple ways of approaching objectives, player-driven exploration. This is what game design should be about.

If you want linear, maybe you should take up a different hobby. Like watching movies.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
HI also didn't have a clear picture of what character I wanted to make so there's that.

I did a crit-focused dual-wield rogue but the goblin companion can fulfill that role nicely. There's also a tank, bard, two-hander and an amazing archer. The glaring hole in the companion roster is a paladin and I'd bet choosing the default paladin at the start would be a good choice, or just make your own that is similar. That's a guess though since I had no paladin due to there being no companion one, heh.

Despite all the annoyances in the game I plan to do a turn-based Paladin run at some point, at leas through the first few acts.
A Paladin trivializes 75% of the game. Every time that you encounter an evil boss or mini-boss, you can click on your smite evil button to become an unstoppable machine of destruction. With bestow grace your ST will be so high that you will be affected by enemies' abilities only on a natural 1, and, if you don't mind pre-buffing, with a single Monk level your AC will always be impossible to beat. Since you are virtually invulnerable, you can leave your entire party behind and face most problematic encounters alone.

I couldn't do it, but I think that a paladin should be able to kill the final boss of the DLC mega-dungeon in a single round:
LpMUrOX.png

Dramart

Learned
Then play a fucking shooter? Preferably modern one where you're confined to a scripted scene rollercoaster.
Of course

I spy with my little eye something that starts with "B".
Yeah I was referring to Deus Ex, B like bad game?

Literally everyone cares about Deus Ex
Just two journos and four fanboys you mean. But anyways I dont think i'ts a bad game, and I can see why some consider it great.

If you want linear, maybe you should take up a different hobby. Like watching movies.
Or play Mario or Call of Duty. Or games were exploreing its interesting for me, Like Skyrim or Fallout NV

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Literally everyone cares about Deus Ex
Just two journos and four fanboys you mean.

If by "just two journos" you mean over a dozen youtubers who all made their own videos about the game, and by "four fanboys" you mean several modding communities who created total conversions (including The Nameless Mod, the creators of which went on to found Logic Artists, the studio behind the Expeditions games) and of course the meme of "Every time you mention it, somebody will reinstall it."

visions

Arcane
In recent years, Heroine's Quest.

I loved this game playing as a mage and find it superior to the Quest for Glories in some respects but I didn't finish it because my stupid completionism made me want to finish all the side content before moving on to the end game. Which meant defeating the encounter near the dragon skeleton. Which I couldn't do w/o more potions. Which meant grinding in caverns for more potion ingredients. Which completely burnt me out and I ended up moving on. That was in early 2019, not sure if I should pick up my old playthrough some day or start again. I really regret not completing this game in one go because I will never get another fresh blind playthrough with the mage and this has so far been my favorite game from the last 10 years (granted, I've skipped most of the newer games that are acclaimed here cause I cba with new games most of the time).

So I gave up on the game due to one specific optional combat encounter.

Completionism is hell of a disease.

Kainan

Learned
I would've preferred them to be linear.
27256.jpg
<- my face right now
I was enjoying it more as a shooter, I save my points to get to level 3 with pistols and it was worth it, in level 2 was already decent. I got lost in the levels very often and it was very annoying, like runing in circles. With linear levels I could've enjoyed the story and also the game. Anyways I know that one of the strong points in the game is that you can do the levels in diferent ways, but sometimes or for some peopel a linear experience is more satisfying. Games like Thief also have this and I can't with that, whatever man.
You cant really get lost in DX, you can in Thief but it makes sense there.

Duralux for Durabux

If by "just two journos" you mean over a dozen youtubers who all made their own videos about the game, and by "four fanboys" you mean several modding communities who created total conversions (including The Nameless Mod, the creators of which went on to found Logic Artists, the studio behind the Expeditions games) and of course the meme of "Every time you mention it, somebody will reinstall it."
Everything you mentioned don't mean that the game is known by many people. In fact it's a relativily not known game for the PC audiance.
Also, you mentioned the community,by the same token I can say that Skyrim is a masterpiece since hundreds of youtubers praised the game and thousands as well as developpers made and still make mods as well as ambitious mods and games based on Skyrim.
But in your mind, Skyrim is a bad game and Deus Ex a good one, you are ambiguous. You call a game a masterpiece based on the community if it corresponds to your taste but the reality is the opposite.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
In my case that would be L.A. Noire

I liked it but couldn't stand the technical side of it, it felt like a Playstation program running in an emulator.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Everything you mentioned don't mean that the game is known by many people. In fact it's a relativily not known game for the PC audiance.
Also, you mentioned the community,by the same token I can say that Skyrim is a masterpiece since hundreds of youtubers praised the game and thousands as well as developpers made and still make mods as well as ambitious mods and games based on Skyrim.
But in your mind, Skyrim is a bad game and Deus Ex a good one, you are ambiguous. You call a game a masterpiece based on the community if it corresponds to your taste but the reality is the opposite.

I call Deus Ex great because it is genuinely great. It would be just as great if only 5 people knew about it, but the truth is that everyone with a genuine interest in PC gaming knows it and praises it, which Dramart up there claimed was not true. It is very far from an obscure game, it's a masterpiece that's widely recognized as such.

Skyrim is just a game with huge mainstream appeal, but far from a masterpiece. Popularity doesn't mean a game is great, but when a great game is deservedly popular, it is disingenious to claim nobody cares about it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
"Deus Ex was great because it is genuinely great"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom