Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate companion illustrations from James Ohlen's Heroes of Baldur's Gate tabletop adventure

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Disagree. BG2 portraits were, in general, atrocious and clearly done by someone who had near zero knowledge of the game or AD&D.
It could've been even worse. Here are some portraits from the BG2 demo:

Y0FGJgo.png
b87gKFq.png
g8bLFO4.png
vrQLMyC.png

The person who drew these apparently just couldn't into proportions.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is exactly what I thought when I saw that art, that she's a white woman painted black.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
This is exactly what I thought when I saw that art, that she's a white woman painted black.

I forgot the name, but I swear there's an African tribe/nation where a lot of women have what would be considered "white" features, whilst being black as coal.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons & Dragons/5th Edition (5e)/3rd Party/ DMsGuild/Arcanum Worlds - Heroes of Baldurs Gate v1.pdf

How in the Nine Hells did I miss this? By the way, the best portraits of the Baldur's Gate companions - ever - can be found within. Stalin approves.

EDIT: What the fuck? Xzar was also a Bhaalspawn?

EDIT 2: It's a fucking proper sequel to the events of Baldur's Gate, set between the first and second game.

This book is written with the assumption that it takes place one year after Sarevok and the Iron Throne were defeated (1369 Dale Reckoning).

Sick illustrations mate. Real quality is hard to come by nowadays, everyone seems to go for naivete bullshit or some stylized crap. World is full of talentless hipsters. Speaking as a fellow illustrator who is neglecting his talent.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Original portraits are perfection.

These illustration are shit, kinda like those shitty inaccurate "gaming rooms from the 90s" illustrations hipsters post on Reddit.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Original portraits are perfection.

These illustration are shit, kinda like those shitty inaccurate "gaming rooms from the 90s" illustrations hipsters post on Reddit.

The original "portraits" aren't even portraits. They're traced over photographs, if you hadn't realised this before. That's why everyone has human proportions, even dwarves and halflings.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
The original "portraits" aren't even portraits. They're traced over photographs, if you hadn't realised this before. That's why everyone has human proportions, even dwarves and halflings.
So? They're still better.

Nostalgia has clouded your judgement, comrade. Xzar is the best example, ironically - people here have been complaining that the new portrait has clown tattoos, even though the original has more of them, and more pronounced. The affinity they hold for the game made them blind to something so obvious.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Who has ever said they never noticed Xzar's tattoos?

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Not me. Xzar's tattoos aren't actually clownish--what clown looks like that, anyway? The circus theme in his new portrait is clownish.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Didn't even know the characters had come from a tabletop game.

Maybe it explains why they're so weird on one hand (Minsc, space hamster) but also fleshed out more than normal in some of their relationships and interactions.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I just checked - and didn't the actual BG characters come from a tabletop game? (Not this one, but Bioware dev tabletop game before they were even doing BG.)

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just checked - and didn't the actual BG characters come from a tabletop game? (Not this one, but Bioware dev tabletop game before they were even doing BG.)
Yeah, and the story behind Minsc and Boo is that Minsc used to go down during every single encounter, so the player needed something to do while his character was out of the game. And, apparently, he was fine with roleplaying a hamster.

In that campaign, Sarevok was Minsc's brother. Edwin, Xan, and Jon Icarus (the guy who cursed the fat spider lady in BG1) were also in the same party.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, and the story behind Minsc and Boo is that Minsc used to go down during every single encounter, so the player needed something to do while his character was out of the game. And, apparently, he was fine with roleplaying a hamster.

In that campaign, Sarevok was Minsc's brother. Edwin, Xan, and Jon Icarus (the guy who cursed the fat spider lady in BG1) were also in the same party.
Jon Icarus was an alias of Jon Irenicus, thus tying the game to Baldur's Gate 2. You only get the full story if you charm the spider lady before the fight using Charm Person (which is next to impossible because the fight starts as soon as you enter; you have to manually enter pause before the fight/dialogue triggers and hit a charm person on her)

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jon Icarus was an alias of Jon Irenicus, thus tying the game to Baldur's Gate 2. You only get the full story if you charm the spider lady before the fight using Charm Person (which is next to impossible because the fight starts as soon as you enter; you have to manually enter pause before the fight/dialogue triggers and hit a charm person on her)
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that they changed the name during the development of BG2 because it sounded too Greek, but I can't really find any reliable reference.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that they changed the name during the development of BG2 because it sounded too Greek, but I can't really find any reliable reference.

They changed it due to some copyright reasons. The EE flat out changes the name to "Jon Irenicus," since it's supposed to be him. Also, I don't have this 100% confirmed, but there was supposed to be some connection between Xan (who's from Evereska), and Ellisime (who travelled there) - one of the many cut content from the sequel.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Not too Greek, too on the nose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom