Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is "Modern RPG"?

Gastrick

Cipher
I have a PHD in RPG Phenetics and have applied the neighbor-joining algorithm to the problem. I will not share the answer because it would cause mass suicide of rpgcodex.
I think we know the real reason why. You won't share the answer here because you know you're wrong and peer review would crush your pathetic answer.
I wonder how you got your phd in the first place, maybe you were a foreign exchange student in Africa and only had 70 IQ troglodytes to compete against. Maybe even then some bribing was needed.

Goose

Learned
A piece of shit.
so is pathfinder:kingmaker a piece of shit or is it not a modern rpg? but then what is?

Pathfinder succeeds because it follows a tried and tested formulae, the base foundation is solid, it wouldn't matter if they screwed the rest of it up. DA2 is the opposite, the game mechanics are so shallow that it has no staying power.

Most modern RPGs have garbage mechanics, the writing is secondary, and comes with it's own baggage.

Ranarama

Learned
Cladistically speaking, RPGs are just descendants of Chainmail that have the feature of individual characters.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Modern is more storyfagging with actors reading parts for cutscenes and adding "romance" options into the game rather than implied into your head.

some are tactical, some are turn-based, some are metroidvania, some are blobbers, etc. are they really RPGS or just number crunching deception to fill that dopamine level up? Until the ai becomes learning or aware like some sci-fi movie the games won't be anything but shadows of tabletop rpg gaming. They might be a tool at best to emulate. There yet is to be a game where you can do anything imaginable on a whim. A uh.. reality emulator.

mondblut

Arcane
Except not really, most of the first computer RPGs were "roguelikes" in which you play a single character.

The first attempts at computer RPGs were either multiplayer, or sucked. That's why Wizardry was such a breakthrough.

The important bit is definitely not whether there's a party or not, but that you indirectly (i.e. non-action-like) control (a) characterized individual(s) with their own strengths and weaknesses represented by stats and abilities.

The important bit is how much does it play like a D&D session, and the ones with a party do it better by a mile.

Even if we theoretically say we need a party, then there are no great contemporary RPGs (what would you call AoD and UnderRail though?), but my actual points still stand.

There are no great contemporary RPGs period.

Cat Dude

Savant
Borderlands-3-gameplay-4-1-696x391.jpg

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Been lurking for years but this is such a goddamn interesting question that I just HAD to create an account in order to weigh in on this. Modern RPG, indeed the very pinnacle of the RPG games genre = Disco Elysium.

So many years of quality silence were wasted in such a stupid sentence. #despair

Interesting question, despite OP's actual intent.

The modern RPG actually breaks down into two camps: the mainstream modern RPG, and the niche, sophisticated modern RPG.

The mainstream modern RPG is stuff like Skyrim, Fallout 4, Mass Effect 1-Andromeda, Dragon Ages, Assassin Creed Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla. Very shallow games with tons of content, but lacking in gameplay mechanics and writing.

The niche, sophisticated modern RPG, on the other hand, is a game like Witcher 3, ELEX, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls 1-3. These games provide something of actual quality (writing/dialogues/lore in Witcher 3's case, exploration in BotW/ELEX, combat/immersion in KCD, and so on).

As you can see from the above, I don't mention any isometric RPGs. That's because aRPGs have won, and all modern RPGs ARE aRPGs. The few iso RPGs still being made are either small scale indie efforts, or like D:OS/PoE games, bad rip-offs of decades old games, and cannot really be considered modern. All the serious, innovative development is currently done on the aRPG side.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
^ none of those are RPGs, with the exception of the Dragon Ages which become less RPG as the series goes along. They have more in common with God of War than any RPG in the D&D tradition. The only difference is you get to choose which abilities you get as opposed to them being linearly given to you.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I'm sure you people realize that in tabletop, you play one character, not a party.

That's why CRPGs were invented in the first place, so that you could play the same game about a party of adventurers running dungeons and killing monsters without having to mingle with assholes.
Except not really, most of the first computer RPGs were "roguelikes" in which you play a single character. That doesn't matter, however, playing a whole party instead of a single character is a perversion of tabletop RPGs anyway. The important bit is definitely not whether there's a party or not, but that you indirectly (i.e. non-action-like) control (a) characterized individual(s) with their own strengths and weaknesses represented by stats and abilities.

Even if we theoretically say we need a party, then there are no great contemporary RPGs (what would you call AoD and UnderRail though?), but my actual points still stand.
flawed gems

^ none of those are RPGs, with the exception of the Dragon Ages which become less RPG as the series goes along. They have more in common with God of War than any RPG in the D&D tradition. The only difference is you get to choose which abilities you get as opposed to them being linearly given to you.

You are so wrong, it's amusing. Here's the mistake you and all the other people from that school of thought make:

You assume that just because something started out a certain way, that will always define its nature. But that's just not how life works. Things start out a certain way, and then change, and in subsequent times, people associate them with their current manifestation, often forgetting the original altogether.

RPGs started out of PnP sessions, so that's where the moniker came from, but it should be fairly self evident that cRPGs were always vastly different from PnP RPGs, nor should they be similar. PnP RPGs were about a group of friends role playing some imaginary adventure, whereas cRPGs were always about immersing the player into some cool virtual world. Everything else (C&C, stats, etc) is secondary to this. That is exactly why you are seeing so much cross-genre bleedover now, because ultimately it doesn't matter if your game is an RPG, a shooter, an action adventure hybrid, or whatever.

What people fundamentally want are interesting virtual worlds, with everything that goes with that, be it deep gameplay mechanics, good writing, interesting characters, simulated NPCs, nice puzzles, whatever. That's why this nonsense about C&C and stats and spreadsheets is completely irrelevant, and why its most devout supporters are playing shit like Kingmaker, while most of the world (including not just the unwashed masses, but most intelligent players) has moved on to quality aRPGs.

Just because historically, cRPGs were associated with PnP RPGs and their aspects like C&C and stats and numbers means nothing today, because that's not what most people associate these games with anymore.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm sure you realize all games ever can have "interesting virtual worlds" that you can be "immersed in".

I'm sure you realize all games ever can have "interesting virtual worlds" that you can be "immersed in".

Not exactly. Most genres are much more limited, for example, shooters only represent one particular aspect of a world (the combat), as do say fighting games. Strategy games generaly represent another narrow layer. What makes RPGs special is that they are by far the closest to representing actual worlds, since they come with large maps, tons of characters, dialogues and stories, various ways of interacting with things (combat, stealth, puzzle solving, dialogue, etc). So if you are looking for something to represent true virtual worlds and not just narrow slices of them, RPGs have no equal.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That is not what I am saying, though. A shooter can have a massive virtual world you are describing (Fallout 3+ or a hypothetical one in a Call of Duty game). As can action games (Witcher). Ugh, my point is that every genre can have one if they make them that way, that doesn't make them RPGs. Your logic is really bizarre.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
You assume that just because something started out a certain way, that will always define its nature. But that's just not how life works.
Yeah. Just because man has started as a creature with dick and a pair of balls it doesn't mean that it will always define his nature.

I'm surprised you didn't mention games like GTA or Saints Row, they fit your "description" of RPGs perfectly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom