Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Silent Hill

Best Silent Hill game

• Silent Hill

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • Silent Hill 2

Votes: 40 45.5%
  • Silent Hill 3

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Silent Hill 4

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other, aka, who gives a fuck?

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Don't listen to that Mexican, have some tasty SH1 extras instead:

Those colour palettes are quite something.

Machocruz

Arcane
SH2 is great. It's one of only a handful of games that I would say have anything approaching sophisticated writing/themes. But it being the best is a meme. Just shows how many storyfags and wannabe storyfags are on the internet. SH1 is the nightmare. Maybe it has the advantage of being the first. But the coming of the dawn, the horn blaring, felt like a relief, as it is with nightmares in real life. Can't say that about the other games, personally. Nothing else is like it.

Ash

Arcane
^Don't forget SH1 never got a PC release, while the others did. For many Silent Meme 2 was their first and they never touched 1. That contributes to the meme.

Repressed Homosexual
SH2 is great. It's one of only a handful of games that I would say have anything approaching sophisticated writing/themes. But it being the best is a meme. Just shows how many storyfags and wannabe storyfags are on the internet. SH1 is the nightmare. Maybe it has the advantage of being the first. But the coming of the dawn, the horn blaring, felt like a relief, as it is with nightmares in real life. Can't say that about the other games, personally. Nothing else is like it.

I don't think there is anything in the rest of the series that approaches for instance the school level from SH1.

And even the fact it was a low poly game added to it, it made the game look like a nightmare.

Ash

Arcane
SH1 is best because:

Extremely intense oppressive atmosphere no other game could possibly meet.
Iconic designs and memorable grand moments. Lots. Will refrain from spoilers even though the game is fucking old.
Actual challenge. This influences a wide variety of important things: horror, immersion, tension, investment in your character's survival.
Relatable, human motive that ups the stakes and makes sense to do all the shit you do in the game.
Intense pant-shitting music not seen in the other games
Gameplay that is actually complimentary to the story and overarching experience
Brilliant pacing
Actually interesting town exploration. SH2 it's just there and wastes your time.
An overbearing sense of mystery just begging to be solved

I pity the fool that played any of the other shitty meme games first and not the OG masterpiece.

Relatable, human motive that ups the stakes and makes sense to do all the shit you do in the game.

Not "I'm going to find my dead wife, even though I know full well she's dead, because I am a retard". Also I think the writers vastly overstate the relevance of the human emotion that is guilt. It is far less intense and dominating that any other human emotion. That people supposedly lose their minds from it is plain work of fiction. We're selfish cunts and don't work like that. Sophisticated my ass.

I've long believed the world would be be a far better place if we felt guilt with equivalent intensity to any other human emotion such as fear, love and anger, but nah we're more concerned with what happens directly to us. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane

The humble set up is a virtue for 1, afaic. The in game narrative parallels the player experience. Both the player and Harry Mason are , in a way, unknowing Innocents swept up in things they don't understand. This is why it's so nightmarish. Even taking into account the possibility of incompetent writing, the resultant effect is the same. Neither you nor Harry can make heads or tails of what's going on. All that is known is Harry must find his daughter, and the player must get through the game. Also I feel in the first game the protagonist is made to feel far more insignificant amongst the events in motion, in the tradition of Lovecraft.

SumDrunkGuy

The movie.

I actually liked the movie. In terms of visuals I think it captured the spirit of the games as well as it possibly could have. It sort of sucked at most other things though, but I had fun watching it. Pyramid Head being in it made absolutely no sense. I'll take it over any of the Resident Evil films or most other game to film adaptations. It's a good ass looking movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

SumDrunkGuy

The Codex has awful taste in horror games. SH3 is the best. The way it sets up it's scares and executes them, the audio/visual quality, the environments, Valtiel, the pacing, the atmosphere. It is unmatched. Silent Hill 3 is a fucking masterpiece of horror.

Nothing in the other games can compete with that level of mind fuckery.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
OP throwing a tantrum like a petulant little child

Capture.png

SumDrunkGuy

Oh please, I'm fine. Maybe agree with me more and we wont have these stupid confrontations. It's your fault.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
This thread is a lie. I fully encourage all self respecting horror fans to ignore it entirely. This is an embarrassment to true fans of horror. No PS1 game is good, okay? That system aged the worst out of all game systems. Atari held up better. Fuck playstation 1, and fuck Silent Hill 1. You're full of complete shit. It's the worst game system ever and no good ever came from it.
N64 = cartridges, no games aside from nintendo and rareware, shittiest textures of the entire generation, controller for aliens
Saturn = no games outside of japan, weird sprite-based 3D
3DO = glorified gex machine, weird sprite-based 3D
Jaguar = uh
Xbox = everything got ported to PC except for some weird obscure exclusives no one cares about
Xbox 360 = everything was multiplatform except for some boring bro-game exclusives no one cares about
Wii = toy for children
Switch = toy for manchildren
Every portable console = crappy games no one cares about
Master System = ???????? it plays phantasy star i guess???
Atari/Whatevervision = no one cares
NES = overrated piece of nostalgic shit, shit games with shit graphics and shit audio and shit controller, any arcade game is 10000 times better

but no, 3d bad therefore psx bad. even magnavox oddysey is bettar lmao

Zlaja

Arcane
:necro:

The clumsiness of the interactions with Kaufman, Dahlia, Lisa and Cybil added to the eeriness of the game even though they should have been off-putting

Totally agree with this. I just recently watched some faggot on youtube talk about SH1 and while he praised the game overall, he kept whining how "it's hard to care and take the plot seriously", because of these clumsy interactions. Personally, I always thought they just added to the bizarre & strange atmosphere of the setting.

SumDrunkGuy

All of the games have clumsy and awkward interactions. It's a series staple.

SumDrunkGuy

Sorry but I disregard any top 5 that lacks REmake. Shit top 5 is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom