Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Silent Hill

Best Silent Hill game

• Silent Hill

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • Silent Hill 2

Votes: 40 45.5%
  • Silent Hill 3

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Silent Hill 4

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other, aka, who gives a fuck?

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

SumDrunkGuy

I'm totally tootin that 3 horn. 2 is great in terms of storytelling and atmosphere but 3 is the perfect horror game. I wouldn't pick anything over it except REmake, depending on my mood.
Also I have no idea why that spoiler tag is there, but I'm gonna leave it because mistakes build character.

SumDrunkGuy

I can respect these results.

SH1 by far, a perfect game.

SH2 has too much emo shit.

SH3 has an obnoxious little girl protagonist, goofy characters and never goes anywhere. Utterly forgettable game.

She made it scarier I think. James was dubbed and voice acted by a fucking retard. Heather on the other hand was legit. There wasn't a single moment that I thought she was acting. Heather Mason and Jill are my survival horror favs.

Alex

Arcane
I can respect these results.

SH1 by far, a perfect game.

SH2 has too much emo shit.

SH3 has an obnoxious little girl protagonist, goofy characters and never goes anywhere. Utterly forgettable game.

She made it scarier I think. James was dubbed and voice acted by a fucking retard. Heather on the other hand was legit. There wasn't a single moment that I thought she was acting. Heather Mason and Jill are my survival horror favs.

You played the 2nd game with the new voice work, didn't you? It is staggering how bad they are, but especially when you compare with the original SH2.

Anyway, you might want to stay away from depressive horror games for a while, maybe?

sser

Arcane
Developer
I found Silent Hill 1 to be very scary at the time so I kinda lean toward it for spooky nostalgia, but Silent Hill 2 is simply better in a lot of respects. The 2nd game is overwhelmingly melancholic from the start and it just maintains that feeling throughout. Pyramid Head is a great 'villain' as well. Also, the soundtrack is a legitimately one of the best ever.

SumDrunkGuy

I love Silent Hill 2, but as a horror game it's not as effective as 3. Silent Hill 3 is the only game to truly terrify me. I have no idea how I managed to finish that thing.

1 is scarier, 2 has the better story. 3 is more annoying than scary with those high pitched monster sounds and sheer numbers of them it throws at you. 4 is actually scarier than 3 but also is flawed, though I'd probably still rate it a bit higher than 3 just because it was actually trying new things, and the room was a pretty cool idea. 3 feels like it's trying too hard to be 1 amped up to 11. Kind of like Dark Souls 3 is to Dark Souls 1. First two I still get an itch to replay every few years, 3 and 4 not so much.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've only played the 3rd, but that was az amazing experience. I heared 2 is even better, I can't comment on the other ones, so I just vote 3, since that is what I know.

Ash

Arcane
I love Silent Hill 2, but as a horror game it's not as effective as 3. Silent Hill 3 is the only game to truly terrify me. I have no idea how I managed to finish that thing.

Play SH1 you
cuck.png

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
1 is a classic, great in every aspect, even the graphics are excellent for a PSX game. has the most compelling setting overall
2 is almost perfect, but it's too easy. otherwise great story, superior to any lynch film, really
3 makes up for the lack of difficulty in 2, but is a waste in terms of story and setting. nothing happens for half of the game, and there's even reused areas from 2
4 is an interesting experiment, but extremely flawed. yeah, let's... play every level twice. what is this, halo?

1 is best.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I played them all this year for the first time, so no nostalgia involved: Silent Hill, the first, is one of the best games ever made. Even today it remains spooky for a fresh player: the industrial soundscape, the lo-fi blur and animations, the camera angles, the masterful use of darkness, the perpetual sense of threat... a masterpiece, it is still one of the scariest games available. As soon as I finished I started playing it all over again, twice it happened; I couldn't get the game out of my head for weeks, that weird witchcraft story and the compelling allure of that unnatural fog... I even dreamt of it. Pushing ahead into the darkness of Silent Hill with an attentive ear to the radio static is an experience like no other game offers. Writing about it is rather hard, it truly is one of those works that elevate videogames offering something truly unique and worthy that no other medium can.

Then I moved onto the second, which was an utter disappointment -visually it is great, but from a gameplay perspective it failed miserably to replicate the sense of dread of the first due to the excessive visibility and the jarring close combat (managed to be much worse than the original, having to hit the attack button til the fingers go numb). In terms of enemy design while artistically remarkable the new challenges were much less lethal, including the famous pyramid head which I don't get why is he supposed to be that spooky since I could easily complete the game without getting hit by him til the end -he is a no threat. In fact, most of the game is absurdly easy with the exception of some trap-rooms in the hospital (completely optional), so that's a serious design issue if you intend to spook the player.
As for the celebrated script sins: annoying main character (there can be no tension if I don't care about whether my character dies), boring development (most of the time I was wondering what the heck was James attempting to do), predictable outcome to the main story and over-reliance on cutscenes. I still remember that bloody elevator trip that has you locked for about five minutes listening to the radio: developers, will you just let me play the game? I must say the story of Eddie was interesting, but it ended up in one of the most stupid boss fights I have ever suffered, while Angela climbing up the burning stairs is as poetical as you want it to be but given the nuisance that character was it felt like a relief. The little girl was the most remarkable secondary character but James' reactions to her playful attitude are so miswritten that her appearances only made the script more jarring.
The story of the first was written like shit, yes, but it was obscure (happily thanks to that very writing incompetence) and thus enticing, stimulating, while the plot of the second is overexposed -there's no mystery left by the time you reach the needlessly long, dull letter by Mary that feels like some Hollywood romantic drama shit, the same ideas are repeated again and again and again during that excruciating reading. No wonder James made up Maria, what an insipid woman. Then again, why was I supposed to care about James and Mary? Completely forgettable characters were not because James manages to come across as dangerously retarded as the game progresses.
They managed to make Maria quite attractive, some puzzles are cool and the environments look great, but overall it really falls beneath the perfection of the original in all regards. I reckon what the developers really had in mind with this one was a walking simulator avant la lettre but producers forced them to stuff it with Silent Hill commonplaces.

The third was a decent ending to the saga, though. While it wasn't as successful as the original in building that tension it still avoided many of the mistakes of the second, bringing back threatening enemies and nauseating, new-fleshy landscapes. However, in spite of Heather being the best written character in the saga once again the game fails at explaining too much so that what was mysterious in the first now sounds really silly, complete animu gibberish (the scene inside the car while travelling to Silent Hill, when Heather recounts the events of the first game in a straightforward manner, is embarrassing as it made me realize how stupid the plot is), but besides that it was neat how it tied with the original forgetting the misstep of the sequel. The combat was satisfying and the scenarios were very nice (i.e. unsettling), particularly the otherwordly office, plus it managed to revisit the hospital yet again and made it feel scarier than the second time. Correct entry worth the Silent Hill name, though I was disappointed I couldn't save Claudia. The series could perfectly have ended here.

The fourth I couldn't even finish although I appreciated the premise: it looks like shit, goes overboard with the action and the new control scheme is hellish.
All in all, Silent Hill 1> any.

Last edited:

Parsifarka

Arcane
and what is it that actually counts as good writing in your opinion?
Silent Hill 1 as I said was accidentally good in that department. The clumsiness of the interactions with Kaufman, Dahlia, Lisa and Cybil added to the eeriness of the game even though they should have been off-putting. The dialogue was sparse and often confusing, thus contributing to the mystery -and that this was unintentional is confirmed by the direction they took with the larger budget sequels: Silent Hill 2 by contrast had a much more cohesive writing which sadly manifested more clearly the shortcomings of the script, which really is Hellraiser-sequel tier. I reckon Silent Hill 1, due to its production constraints, presented a story in such a puzzling way as only a videogame could, while afterwards they followed a model closer to that of movies -to their detriment, I'd say.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
I liked all 4. Yes, even the 4th one. It had lots of nonsense, but the suspense when you realized your apartment wasn't so safe after all was something else.
I'm gonna go with 2 on this poll, however. Most iconic and the most Lynchian of the four.
3 is great, but you should really play the first game as well. I'd wager there are moments where its even more hellish than 3.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
SH 1 sucked. I'm surprised people voted for that. Probably edgy fucks. SH 2 was the best one I've ever fucking played. Top 5 horror game or so if I can be asked to rank. SH 3 sucked. As someone above said, goofy characters, goofy protagonist, I just couldn't get into it at all.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
SH 1 sucked. I'm surprised people voted for that. Probably edgy fucks. SH 2 was the best one I've ever fucking played. Top 5 horror game or so if I can be asked to rank. SH 3 sucked. As someone above said, goofy characters, goofy protagonist, I just couldn't get into it at all.
You share the same opinion with all the retarded American developers who made the later games. Congratulations!

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You share the same opinion with all the retarded American developers who made the later games. Congratulations!
Sorry you have shit taste. Don't take it out on those of us that know superiority when we see it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom