Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment .

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
It annoys me seeing people insist that you should always have high WIS in Torment. Next playthrough I'm gonna play a Chaotic Fighter and dump WIS, and there's nothing you can to do stop me.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The position of PST on the top 100 codex list is a good indicator of the amount of current storyfags roaming the board.

I know this may come as shock to some of you gentlemen, but one can appreciate both story AND combat. :terminate:

And so, think of PST as top 100 material for its great story and in spite of its poor combat, while also putting ToEE in the same top for its great combat and in spite of its poor story.

Mind boggling isn't it ?:deathclaw:

Last edited:

Jigby

Augur
To me the fighter class is the one that plays the smoothest. I recently played 16WIS 12INT 18CON 11STR and I attackmoved through the whole game. Beamdog surprisingly rehabilitated the thief by fixing pickpocketing, with some basic DEX you can crank your pickpocketing to 130 and you have 100% success rate, you can steal Heart Charms and other consumables ad infinitum. Morte with 2 Heart Charms has something like 95% slashing resists, he can easily tank the black abishais right after you get out of the mortuary. Plus infinite bone charms etc. Of course, once you have Annah she can do it too so being a thief becomes redundant. And the hide in plain sight exploit from BG doesn't work in PST. That said, surprisingly, wizard feels the most dated. Those FFesque animations just don't do it anymore. You cast Elysium Tears for 10 dmg, oh wow thanks. And before the age of online wikias, there was a sense of incomplete information with the wizard. You saw Trias cast the Mantle spell and you wondered whether you missed anything. Same with TNO's Conflagration. You got to the Modron Maze and you saw some unique consumables/spells to learn. You found Pharod's secret hideout and you hovered over every pixel of those bookshelves there. With wikias all of this is gone and the wizard feels naked.

I know, I know, sperging in PST, but it's 20 years old at this point ...

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
To me the fighter class is the one that plays the smoothest. I recently played 16WIS 12INT 18CON 11STR and I attackmoved through the whole game. Beamdog surprisingly rehabilitated the thief by fixing pickpocketing, with some basic DEX you can crank your pickpocketing to 130 and you have 100% success rate, you can steal Heart Charms and other consumables ad infinitum. Morte with 2 Heart Charms has something like 95% slashing resists, he can easily tank the black abishais right after you get out of the mortuary. Plus infinite bone charms etc. Of course, once you have Annah she can do it too so being a thief becomes redundant. And the hide in plain sight exploit from BG doesn't work in PST. That said, surprisingly, wizard feels the most dated. Those FFesque animations just don't do it anymore. You cast Elysium Tears for 10 dmg, oh wow thanks. And before the age of online wikias, there was a sense of incomplete information with the wizard. You saw Trias cast the Mantle spell and you wondered whether you missed anything. Same with TNO's Conflagration. You got to the Modron Maze and you saw some unique consumables/spells to learn. You found Pharod's secret hideout and you hovered over every pixel of those bookshelves there. With wikias all of this is gone and the wizard feels naked.

The wizard is still disgustingly strong and pretty fun to play. DoT effects keep ticking while you use those big cutscene spells. Prebuffing with the completely broken doppler spell, throwing a bee swarm at your enemies and then effectively stopping time for a long while with a double casted Elysium tears is like 50 damage aoe without your opponents getting any say in it as the spellcasting animations lock them out of doing anything.
That said it can literally break the game. Too many stacked cutscene spells and some scripts break. I killed Trias too hard with doublecasted cutscene spells in EE which bricked the game.

But yeah for a replay if you know all the spell animations and where to get the good spells wizard is a lot less exiting. So much micro management.
Fighter has so many cool axes and warhammers everyone probably just pawned off before on their old runs, since noone could equip them.

Jigby

Augur
Double casting Elysium Tears as a poor man's Timestop. I admit I did not think of that. +1 for being creative

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Oh, and one more bad thing.
There is no reason at all to be a warior or thief in this game. Mage is only proper class to be.
All important stats work best with mages and worst with warriors and thiefs so...
I play the game all the way trough with full warrior stats. Lots of fun. Combat incliuding.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Sperging on the EE version no less, lmao.

No one cares what you or anyone else says about the EE version, as it isn't the original and authoritative incarnation.

You played an abomination, nothing more.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I know this may come as shock to some of you gentlemen, but one can appreciate both story AND combat.

Combat IS the story.

And so, think of PST as top 100 material for its great story and in spite of its poor combat, while also putting ToEE in the same top for its great combat and in spite of its poor story.

ToEE has a basic backstory, and that's all it needs. The real story of ToEE is its character builds, party composition and combat encounters. The dice rolls tell the best RPG stories of all. Much better than pretentious, torrential trash-text.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The real story of ToEE is its character builds, party composition and combat encounters.
It's a shame there are like 3 good encounters in the game. 5 or 6 if you happen to be at the right level to make a fight with bugbears interesting.
The dice rolls tell the best RPG stories of all.
At very early levels perhaps. It becomes autoplay fairly quickly. Not much room for interesting stories.

I wish you were right.

Jigby

Augur

Sperging on the EE version no less, lmao.

No one cares what you or anyone else says about the EE version, as it isn't the original and authoritative incarnation.

You played an abomination, nothing more.
Not to worry, I reversed everything with Ghidra, even the trash BIS put out just to be sure.

It's a shame there are like 3 good encounters in the game. 5 or 6 if you happen to be at the right level to make a fight with bugbears interesting.

Fight in the Tower
Fight in the swamp
Fight against giant and the bear
Fight against beautiful cleric in the Moat
Fight against the highest priest in Temple (the one in which gods joins in)
Fights against balor
Fights against other elemental guardians

I've put this game on the back burner for a while now because everytime I play it I ALWAYS play it the exact same way max Wis and Chr and screw everything else... The story and companions are just too good to miss out on for the sake of a few extra hit points and more weapon damage.

I simply can't play it any other way. I don't think I've ever fought the Transcendental One, it's far more satisfying just talking him to death.

Mage is only proper class to be.

All the spells are heavily nerfed over basic D&D, unless you really like 5 different versions of magic missile.

Meanwhile TNO can just pump STR to god levels and faceroll everything by midgame.

Sacrificing INT or CHRS for STR is a hell of a kick in the balls to what's it's known mostly for, the story/characters... You really do end up missing huge parts of the game... I supposed for multiple runthroughs it 'might' be worth it, but I don't see what could be gained.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Sacrificing INT or CHRS for STR is a hell of a kick in the balls to what's it's known mostly for, the story/characters... You really do end up missing huge parts of the game... I supposed for multiple runthroughs it 'might' be worth it, but I don't see what could be gained.

You can get all the stats you need to do companion/memory quests and still crush all who stand before you. I usually start with low combat stats because the slums are easy, and pump them throughout the early and mid levels. WIS/INT can be boosted with items and tattoos as needed later.

Really stats provide almost no benefit for mages so playing as one sacrifices most of the benefit of STR/DEX/CON. TNO is the only good fighter in the game while Dakkon can do enough as a mage.

You can get all the stats you need to do companion/memory quests and still crush all who stand before you. I usually start with low combat stats because the slums are easy, and pump them throughout the early and mid levels. WIS/INT can be boosted with items and tattoos as needed later.

Really stats provide almost no benefit for mages so playing as one sacrifices most of the benefit of STR/DEX/CON. TNO is the only good fighter in the game while Dakkon can do enough as a mage.

It's not really the Mage benefits one is looking for (although at INT 25 even your MMs are taking everything in the vicinity down) it's more the Speech and insight checks which is where most of the game lies. I always raise INT and CHRS to 25... but I don't remember also managing to get a third stat near 18 (although...memory.. fallible)..

I kinda don't see the point of going melee in this game.... from my point of view anyway.. that path doesn't seem to open as much in the game as a high INT/CHRS characters do.

KK1001

Arbiter
PS:T has more memorable and fun encounters than Pillars of Eternity.

The only flaw is that the third act is pretty rushed and unbalanced wrt trash.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
%25E3%2582%25B9%25E3%2582%25AF%25E3%2583%25AA%25E3%2583%25BC%25E3%2583%25B3%25E3%2582%25B7%25E3%2583%25A7%25E3%2583%2583%25E3%2583%2588%2B2020-11-12%2B7.38.31.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom