Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/728530/SD_GUNDAM_G_GENERATION_CROSS_RAYS/

I know the Gundam series is full of angsty teenager pilots, and nonsensical giant robots (but at least, it somewhat makes less nonsense in space), but I still found some installment of the anime pretty cool.

The weird gundam looks may be because of licensing issues (I read somewhere that the licence is much more expensive if the models look like the toy line).

It has very positive reviews on Steam.
Did someone give it a try?
Does it play like Front Mission? Can you customize the gundams?

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I tested one of the previous entries on Nintendo DS emulator today. It does play like Front mission indeed. But the other have not been translated, so it led to a less than ideal playthrough.

The Decline

Arcane
There's less of a focus on customization of individual mobile suits compared to wanzers. The previous entry had you create squads of five units which were assigned to a transport ship. Some ships could hold 2 squads. You started out with a selection of original characters or you could create your own custom characters. As you progressed in the game, meeting certain goals would let you recruit characters from the various series. Only a few mobile suits are available at the beginning and you gain the ability to manufacture new ones by either capturing them, upgrading an existing suit, combining two different suits, or putting a specific pilot in one. Pilots have several stats and special skills. Mobile suits can be equipped with up to three special parts that modify various stats.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, SD Gundam is less Front Mission/SRW and more of uuh, some Robotic mon games I guess? You can fusion stuff, capture stuff. Each mech also has its own level.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I eventually got the game. The combat system is pretty cool, as it "mimics" the series well in giving a lot of options do dispose of low grade opponents (raids/links, aka coordinated attacks, and supports from units in range who haven't acted yet + "greater cleave" for everyone). It all feels very gundamey.

However, the progression is completely bonkers. I started in the highest difficulty setting, and had my squadrons mostly play cheerleaders while the story character guests cleared most of the levels, letting my squadrons feed on some kill, as they would get murdered by any opponent.

So in a way, it really felt like playing the no name pilots in the beginning. But as soon as I could recruit named pilots and main character gundam, it became much easier (a bit too easy actually, with the dispatch missions granting experience from AFKing.).

It is also weird to have the main story characters not under your control (even more so as you need them to complete a good part of the objectives), and your own squadrons never being acknowledged.

So it is a sequence of missions with some summary of the corresponding animes, using named pilots and suits (unless you are a masoschist) from all series (sometimes, you can even will have clones of some of the guest characters in your team), so it feels less like a RPG than most other tactical RPG, and feels closer to an offline gacha game (fire Emblem HEroes, Langrisser Mobile), which is made even more obvious with the AFK dispatch system (you can send some of your units to "grind" and become unavailable for a fixed number of real life hours).

The lack of permadeath is also a disappointment (and reinforces the Gacha feel), given how some of the anime series kill characters left and right.

There's less of a focus on customization of individual mobile suits compared to wanzers. The previous entry had you create squads of five units which were assigned to a transport ship. Some ships could hold 2 squads. You started out with a selection of original characters or you could create your own custom characters. As you progressed in the game, meeting certain goals would let you recruit characters from the various series. Only a few mobile suits are available at the beginning and you gain the ability to manufacture new ones by either capturing them, upgrading an existing suit, combining two different suits, or putting a specific pilot in one. Pilots have several stats and special skills. Mobile suits can be equipped with up to three special parts that modify various stats.

This part hasn't changed, but it is now easier to train whoever you want, or upgrade the mobile suits you want (as the cost to improve them depends on the current stat, and not the imrpovement points spent on the stat as it was before).

Overall, the game is very pleasant, and I find the combat system reinforces its theme(piloting mobile suits feels great here, while it felt frustrating in BattleTech), but at the same time, the "story/pretend" layer is as thin as in a gacha game (but one in which you don't have to spend thousands of hours or dollars to grind).

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sounds terrible, considering the only characters you get are from the bad Gundam animes.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Sounds terrible, considering the only characters you get are from the bad Gundam animes.
Actually, this installment is a bit better in this regard, as you can really use any character you like, including custom ones, as you can make up whatever "potential" they miss with money (you can endlessly spend credits to train any unit stat), so the only limiting factor would be the skillset of each character.
So it is perfectly possible to go through the whole game without using any of the usual teenagers with angst issue. You could even make a killer squad out of the peace loving support girls if you wanted to.

Siveon

Bot
Eh, sounds like something you would go out of your way to do. I'd rather just play a game that's centered around something I like, rather than dislike.

Enkidu

Novice
This is pretty much the only SD Gundam game that i played, from my understanding being a collection of different Gundam Animes/stories is a thing of this one, Other games had their own story.
Its a fun game for what it is, if you do have Autism, i suppose the hell difficulty and the expansion pack does give a good challenge. You will have to grind maps to farm abilities and prepare your pilots.
And yeah, if you dislike gundam you do well to avoid this one.

Siveon

Bot
And yeah, if you dislike gundam you do well to avoid this one.
I don't dislike Gundam in general just the ones featured here. There is another SD Gundam game in the UC timeline that much better suits my tastes, and I'd rather grind in that than for these guys.

If you don't care though, I guess it matters less ironically.

The Decline

Arcane
There is another SD Gundam game in the UC timeline that much better suits my tastes, and I'd rather grind in that than for these guys.

That one is awesome if you're a Universal Century fan. It's full of side stories and obscure stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom