Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] CRPG nomenclature - 'character' or 'toon'?

What do you call the player character in CRPGs?

• Character

• Toon

• Kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Caim

Arcane
I think it originated with WoW. It should have remained there.
AFAIK it originated in Toontown.
Wikipedia said:
The Toontown Online servers were shut down over the years, with the final server closing on September 19, 2013. A month before the closure, Disney released a statement that the company would be "shifting its focus to other online and mobile play experiences, such as Club Penguin and a growing selection of mobile apps."
:negative:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
finally the one thing millennials can be blamed for and ya blew it

even the thread itself was made by a millennial, all in a subversive attempt to bring back toon with a vengeance by way of introducing confusion where there was none

Darth Canoli

Arcane
"Toon"? What the fuck is this, Saturday morning cartoon shows? I'm playing an RPG, not some kind of cartoon. Who even came up with this? I never heard it before. It's not used in pen and paper and it's not used in classic CRPGs and it's not used in modern action RPGs either. I never heard any other term than "character" being used to refer to your character.

And not of this:
Boris-Vallejo-Standing-Tall.jpg

But Frank ... She's wearing SHOES!!!

Caim

Arcane
"Toon"? What the fuck is this, Saturday morning cartoon shows? I'm playing an RPG, not some kind of cartoon. Who even came up with this? I never heard it before. It's not used in pen and paper and it's not used in classic CRPGs and it's not used in modern action RPGs either. I never heard any other term than "character" being used to refer to your character.

And not of this:
Boris-Vallejo-Standing-Tall.jpg
But Frank ... She's wearing SHOES!!!
Look like regular bare hooves to me.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Every time I see someone refer to their character as a toon, I feel like lobotomizing myself.
Every time I see someone refer to their character as a toon, I feel like lobotomizing this person.
With a pickaxe.

Oh, wait they already have been.
Not with a pickaxe, though.

Well that really settles it. I was considering the alternatives but now will use toon out of sacred duty. Always nice to warm up on Green Dragons before stepping up to the real threats.

Only NJClaw can save me. What's your preferred nomenclature, dude?

purupuru

Learned
I can't recall where I first saw the word "toon" used in rpg context. Recently I have only seen Desiderius using it on codex but I have definitely seen it before.
When I see the word "toon" I somehow always imagine a platoon of faceless tin soldiers with different stats/classes/skills waiting for you to pick some out and use them in your party.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most likely it started being used because "Avatar" was too long and hard to spell (for the average WoW player).

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I’ve never played WoW (got turned off by RT of original Warcraft in contrast to Civ and Warlords/HoMM ironically enough).

Pretty sure I picked it up here. I’ll just use companions or MC I guess.

Keyboard Vomit

I would say it goes against ideals of any established religion or civilization. I doubt any self-respecting Moor or Rabbi would embrace such a retarded term.
Racist. I'm a rabbi of the moors and I use toon.

I've seen "toon" used in the 1990's and early 2000's in the context of academic and journalistic writings that described MMOs before the term "avatar" fully caught on, but never since then.

laclongquan

Arcane
Toon is too bloody Kingdom Heart gamestyle for me.

I sometimes, rarely, use toon if the conversation lure me into not caring about it.

But characters in normal convo, chars if I dont feel bothering, should be enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom