Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 1&2 remaster

?

• Good

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 57 68.7%
  • There was already a thread

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

Red Hexapus

Learned
Seeing current trends it would be a dumbed down 3D shooter with 12 cosmetic DLCs that costs 40EUR and the main protagonist would be retconned as a trans POC (fully voiced of course) removed from vault/village for political views.
So I guess my answer is: Careful what you wish for... :(

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I would honestly be very hyped about a fallout 1+2 remaster if it was done very tastefully and with respect to the games

Would buy it in a heartbeat.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The only things wrong with the original was the inventory screen (listing most recent items at the bottom) and Ian not having control of his little friend, both probably fixed with mods.
So no Remaster needed.

curds

Magister
I would honestly be very hyped about a fallout 1+2 remaster if it was done very tastefully and with respect to the games

Would buy it in a heartbeat.

What do you mean by “done tastefully”. I take that to mean no new graphics, no added, removed or altered content. What does that leave for the remaster? The game already works on modern machines and comes patched to run at modern resolutions on the Steam and GOG releases.

My point is that a remaster of these games would be either tasteless or pointless and why on Earth would you be willing to throw money away “in a heartbeat” to re-buy a game you (I assume) already own.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallouts are perfectly playable nowadays, it's the early 90s and 80s RPGs that could have a decent remaster.

On the other hand, hoping for a decent remaster nowadays is fabulously optimistic.

jackofshadows

Magister
I mean, it's possible to imagine remaster (more like a remake tho) a la ATOM RPG/Wasteland 3 on Unity which can be played on any platform, with gamepad for couch fags but who'd be able to do that with respect to originals? Basically no one even if Beth would outsource this. So it's better to forget about it.

Duralux for Durabux

The only things wrong with the original was the inventory screen (listing most recent items at the bottom) and Ian not having control of his little friend, both probably fixed with mods.
So no Remaster needed.
And boring and non-tactical combats, don't forget about it.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Neverwinter Nights with KotoR models, GURPS or D20 Modern or both and you've got yourself a buyer for this remake if it's shipped as a single game in which the choices from the first game affect the second one. More quests, more random events, more locations and a bigger map. Everything should be just the same yet with better graphics. Same turn based combat and so on.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fallouts are perfectly playable nowadays, it's the early 90s and 80s RPGs that could have a decent remaster.

On the other hand, hoping for a decent remaster nowadays is fabulously optimistic.

They say Bard's Tale remakes were decent. Wasteland Remaster also seems to keep the original experience quite well.

Azdul

Magister
If remastered Fallout 1 / 2 is faithful to the originals - casuals would complain about weird hex-grid movement and battles with rats taking forever. And grumpy old men at NMA and Codex would still find some wierd reason to prefer original versions. The target market for such product is "no one".

Funposter

Arcane
I think it would be neat to see a remake in 3D on Unity or some such where the player has total camera control (ala Divinity: Original Sin) if only so that the player could more easily see all of the doors which are not facing the camera in Fallout 2.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So no Remaster needed.
And boring and non-tactical combats, don't forget about it.

Fallout combat is about as fun as it can get without being tactical.

curds

Magister
There is absolutely no reason to remaster Fallout 1&2 as they still run fine on modern machines.
Yeah, but so did Baldur’s Gate, NWN, Dark Souls, and many other games that got a “remaster”. The whole remaster thing is, for the most part, a scam to get people to spend 40 bucks on a 10-20 year old game which they already owned anyway.

I hate this remaster culture that is plaguing the video gaming hobby right now.

I could go for a remake that fleshed out all those little descriptors you get during things like combat and radiation sickness. Have stuff like hitting someone so hard their eyeball pops out of their head be something you saw as clearly as the death animations that are already there. In Fallout 2 you have all those unarmed attack variants, it would be nice to have different animations for your Piercing Strikes and Hammer Punches than the same one punch animation you start with. Lots of nice little things they could do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom