Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 1&2 remaster

?

• Good

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 57 68.7%
  • There was already a thread

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

Risewild

Arbiter
Stick your remasters where the sun doesn't shine.

The originals still work fine, so no point in doing remasters. Remasters are only for casuals that look at the original games and go "eww, so old looking!".
I haven't seen any remaster that was completely faithful, or that was at least as good as the original game.

After having seen the abominations called Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 Enhanced Editions, I don't want anyone touching my favorite cRPG series ever.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane

Funposter

Arcane
I think it would be neat to see a remake in 3D on Unity or some such where the player has total camera control (ala Divinity: Original Sin) if only so that the player could more easily see all of the doors which are not facing the camera in Fallout 2.
people are giving this post NEGATIVE RATINGS because they haven't played Fallout 2 in a while and forgot how many doors are facing north/east and hidden from the player's view because the people designing the maps were bad at their jobs.

Zer0wing

Cipher
The originals still work fine, so no point in doing remasters. Remasters are only for casuals that look at the original games and go "eww, so old looking!".
I haven't seen any remaster that was completely faithful, or that was at least as good as the original game.
Says the New Vegas modder that sheds tears along with RoyBatty about how the shitbryo engine is fucked and how Obsidian are the worst. No, originals are not fine. They need a rework of engine-level stuff. The inventory was already mentioned. F2 has a 13 year limit and goes off rails after overflowing the variable that counts passed ticks. F2 can corrupt save files just randomly. Scripting needs a cleanup, for one all the traps in all the locations bear a new script even though the only change is the number of hex checked. Gameplay inconsistencies need to be fixed - can't trade for the voice modulator in barter menu, can't use the said modulator through backpack icon on V13 computer even though other parts of the game let you do so, can only use electronic lockpick in klamath caves even though the other very same locked doors in other areas are bare lockpick skill check, you get the idea.

Last edited:

Risewild

Arbiter
Says the New Vegas modder that sheds tears along with RoyBatty about how the shitbryo engine is fucked and how Obsidian are the worst.
Shed tears? We laugh at it non stop. It's hilarious how bad Fallout 3 and NV are behind the scenes. And yes, Obsidian broke a lot of the engine, which is even more hilarious, because they somehow managed to make the game still (mostly) work in the short time they had, and still managed to make one of the best action RPGs of all time. :lol:
I don't remember ever saying Obsidian was the worse, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be blind or shut up about what they did wrong. I'm not sucking any Dev Studio's dick, like lots of people all over the internet do.

I see no connection about how bad Bethesda and Obsidian were at making Fallout 3 and NV, with how classic Fallout games need or not a remaster, so I don't know why you brought this up. :lol:
No, originals are not fine. They need a rework of engine-level stuff. The inventory was already mentioned. F2 has a 13 year limit and goes off rails after overflowing the variable that counts passed ticks. F2 can corrupt save files just randomly. Scripting needs a cleanup, for one all the traps in all the locations bear a new script even though the only change is the number of hex checked. Gameplay inconsistencies need to be fixed - can't trade the voice modulator in barter menu, can't use the said modulator through backpack icon on V13 computer even though other parts of the game let you do so, can only use electronic lockpick in klamath caves even though the other very same locked doors in other areas are bare lockpick skill check, you get the idea.
No, originals work fine. If you have a problem with inventory, get the mod that fixes it, if you want a script cleanup, get the mod that cleans it up, if you have problems with bugs, get the bug fix mod.
Modders already fixed all of this long ago, no need for a remaster. I never had my save games corrupt and I play FO1 every couple years since it was released, and play FO2 every year since it was released.
Or I'm the luckiest Fallout player in the world, or these corrupt saves are most likely user's fault. IIRC most corrupted saves happen when people try to cheat using save file editors, or using outdated mods or scripts.

Have you ever seen a remaster that wasn't somehow worse than the original game? Do you believe that Bethesda or even worse Microsoft would make proper remasters of the classic Fallout games?
For example, Microsoft hired people to make Age of Empires remasters, and they are all worse than the original games for fucks sake. Not to mention that, they made additions that make the games even worse than just the remaster itself.

Look at Baldur's Gate "Enhanced" Editions, look at all the junk they added to it, that made the remasters worse than the originals.

Are you so optimistic that you think remasters of classic cult games will ever be as good as the originals? Have any cult classic RPG remaster have ever been as good as the originals?

I can already see Fallout remasters, with 3D CGI intros, 3D CGI talking heads, upscaled graphics because the source files are gone by now, censored parts because of the day and age we live now, new and "improved" sfx, etc. Then I can also see the removal of the classic games from Steam and GOG and instead forcing players to buy the remasters (just like Beamdog did to all of their "Enhanced" Editions). Then people will stop modding and supporting mods for the classic versions and will instead all migrate to the new versions, which might mean the end of the incline that are some of the FO2 total Conversions.

All of your points are pretty small and insignificant, some are even nitpickings, and they have well known fixes that anyone can get. If that's the best you can find to justify why those games need remasters, then the games are in a better place than I initially thought. I rather keep those "problems" than have remasters that will be worse than the originals.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
No, originals are not fine. They need a rework of engine-level stuff. The inventory was already mentioned. F2 has a 13 year limit and goes off rails after overflowing the variable that counts passed ticks. F2 can corrupt save files just randomly. Scripting needs a cleanup, for one all the traps in all the locations bear a new script even though the only change is the number of hex checked. Gameplay inconsistencies need to be fixed - can't trade for the voice modulator in barter menu, can't use the said modulator through backpack icon on V13 computer even though other parts of the game let you do so, can only use electronic lockpick in klamath caves even though the other very same locked doors in other areas are bare lockpick skill check, you get the idea.
From Пошелюжин blog, eh? To be fair, he mostly criticized the untidiness of F2, F1 is fine.

Zer0wing

Cipher
All of your points are pretty small and insignificant, some are even nitpickings, and they have well known fixes that anyone can get. If that's the best you can find to justify why those games need remasters, then the games are in a better place than I initially thought. I rather keep those "problems" than have remasters that will be worse than the originals.
Just off the top of my head, there's a lot more.
Look at Baldur's Gate "Enhanced" Editions, look at all the junk they added to it, that made the remasters worse than the originals.
Except modders now default to remasters, because their fixes are engine-level.
Have you ever seen a remaster that wasn't somehow worse than the original game? Do you believe that Bethesda or even worse Microsoft would make proper remasters of the classic Fallout games?
For example, Microsoft hired people to make Age of Empires remasters, and they are all worse than the original games for fucks sake. Not to mention that, they made additions that make the games even worse than just the remaster itself.
Most remasters are made for games that don't need a remaster while games that do need such treatment are getting ignored so it's a false argument. As for AoE, there's at least two attempts at remastering AoE2 alone, HD and DE. Which one is shit?
No, originals work fine. If you have a problem with inventory, get the mod that fixes it, if you want a script cleanup, get the mod that cleans it up, if you have problems with bugs, get the bug fix mod.
Modders already fixed all of this long ago, no need for a remaster. I never had my save games corrupt and I play FO1 every couple years since it was released, and play FO2 every year since it was released.
Or I'm the luckiest Fallout player in the world, or these corrupt saves are most likely user's fault. IIRC most corrupted saves happen when people try to cheat using save file editors, or using outdated mods or scripts.
Right, the default TTW answer to user problems is "PEBKAC". These are hacky workarounds for most glaring problems and things I listed they don't clean up for obvious reasons.
And you're deeply wrong, I don't use mods and save corrupting happened for me on default 1.02d build, not the modded RP one. BTW, can you use non-english alphabet to name player character? Nope, needs another workaround.
From Пошелюжин blog, eh? To be fair, he mostly criticized the untidiness of F2, F1 is fine.
I happend to find this irritating too. The first game is too compact to make big mistakes, so there's not much to criticize outside of broken due to missing quests and other conditions or rewritten to not hurt some feefees endings. And artistically more consistent.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Fallout doesn't need remake. It needs overhaul, like Ja2 1.13 or Temple+. Have you people seen JimTheDinosaur thread? What a fucking tease.
Without the source code, it's all in vain due to how much of stuff is hardcoded.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It's funny that people always go: WE DONT NEEEED a remaster.

If we never stride to improve things and go ahead into the future, then we stagnate.

People automatically assume, that any remaster will hurt the original game or don't do it justice. It's absolutely possible to make any remaster for any game to a 1:1 faithful adaption in beautiful 4k HD crispiness.

why would you want to look at dated graphics, when you can have the exact same picture, just upscaled and realized in 4k. Makes no sense to me, other than just being contrarian.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
why would you want to look at dated graphics,
Because graphics are not the numero uno priority, do you see?

If everything else in the game is great, but the graphics, then yes, the graphics becomes priority. Exactly the same thing happens with diablo and it happend with starcraft.

Graphics IS the main draw of a remaster, mainly because the game itself won't be touched, or in very minor detail bugs etc.

Starcraft remastered was insanely well made, Diablo 2 looks to be aswell. C&C remaster was also great.

You honestly cannot convince me, that a faithful 1:1 4k remaster of falout, WITH basically everything else left untouched, wouldnt be a smash fucking hit, especially on codex.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Why would you have even the slightest confidence in Bethesda to do a faithful adaptation? Dollars to donuts they'd change the combat to nu-XCOM, they'd remove the water chip timer, they'd charge 60 bucks, and they'd remove the originals from Steam.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You honestly cannot convince me, that a faithful 1:1 4k remaster of falout, WITH basically everything else left untouched, wouldnt be a smash fucking hit, especially on codex.
It's not possible to remaster sprite based game in 4k. Only to remake. And remakes are - not very faithful, to say the least.

The Diablo 2 remaster is exactly that. It's a 3d layer on top of a 2d layer, so essentially its the same textures, same sprites, just made into 3D 4k, nothing is changed

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Why would you have even the slightest confidence in Bethesda to do a faithful adaptation? Dollars to donuts they'd change the combat to nu-XCOM, they'd remove the water chip timer, they'd charge 60 bucks, and they'd remove the originals from Steam.

I never said I have faith in Bethesda, I just said I would love a remaster of fallout that was very well made, faithful, tasteful, whoever that ends up doing it. That's my wish.
Honestly a big wish.

Wunderbar

Arcane
You honestly cannot convince me, that a faithful 1:1 4k remaster of falout, WITH basically everything else left untouched, wouldnt be a smash fucking hit
mass consumers won't care about some shitty old-ass game. Isometric perspective? Turn based combat? What the fuck is this, some chess game from the 80s?

especially on codex.
codexers will continue playing originals because of restored content patches and other mods.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The only really coveted type of remake is high-definition, hand drawn new gameworld and models, akin to Red888Guns mock-ups. It would be gorgeous for real. But guess what? No one will do that. 3d is easier, 3d is cheaper. And remakes are cashgrabs more often than not.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You honestly cannot convince me, that a faithful 1:1 4k remaster of falout, WITH basically everything else left untouched, wouldnt be a smash fucking hit
mass consumers won't care about some shitty old-ass game. Isometric perspective? Turn based combat? What the fuck is this, some chess game from the 80s?

especially on codex.
codexers will continue playing originals because of restored content patches and other mods.

What are you talking about? There a plenty of cRPG TB iso games made now, that have huge success?

D:OS 1+2, baldurs gate 3, wasteland 2+3 just to name some, are all pretty big successful games.
I definitely think people would be interested in a remastered fallout.

It could be a remaster with mod support, or the restored content included, theres alot of possibilities.

Most of the annoyances I have with the game is the dated graphics (eventho they are still good) the bugs, and the stuff you have to deal with like sfall, resolution and all that.

Fallout is a big franchise, and has been for decades now. To suggest that nobody would be interested in a fallout 1+2 remaster? come on.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
Risewild nails it. Yes there are bugs and engine limitations and the graphics are ancient, but any commercial EE will bring 'current year' baggage and ultimately ruin the game, and of course they will pull up the ladder and purge the originals like Beamdog did. They can't help themselves. Fan mods/patches are our best case scenario.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom