Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ouch. How shall I endure such harsh punishment

Mortmal

Arcane
pictured: Infinitron after shilling for MMX despite knowing it was a bad game

A few keys and a trip, as far i know , not even that much in fact. Thats so little it takes to corrupt someone here. But there was a file about ubisoft pr expenses and a list of sites too, i'd like to get my hands on it again.
You will notice he will never answer that ever, maybe its just to feel important.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wizardry 8 is the only good blobber?

No RPG with level scaling enemies can ever be called "good".

Wizardry 8 has areas scaling within a determines range, the monastery scales up to level 8 or 9, Arnika road might be 5-10, i don't recall the exact numbers but you can see them for yourself with the forge tool.

I think it's the right approach for an open world, considering you can start from Marten's Bluff or the Umpani Camp as well as the Monastery.

You get a pass this time but if I catch you badmouthing Wizardry 8 again, I'll send Mortmal after you, you've been warned!

Mortmal

Arcane
Wait, it’s not just a meme? Someone actually believes Codex staff is paid by various companies? :lol:
Do you have any idea how many free tendies Infinitron gets?
rpgcodex.net - Worth and traffic estimation | rpg codex > doesn't scale to your level (statshow.com)
551$ monthly revenue, not much but enough to cover one's benzodiazepine expenses. Now that's only the ads , there's also likely some steam curator arrangements and front page deals . But there's no evidence he's getting any of it in which case he's the greatest cuck around . At least he collects free steam keys of games he never uses. For what purpose that's the biggest mystery, one that will never be answered.

Gregz

Arcane
Wait, it’s not just a meme? Someone actually believes Codex staff is paid by various companies? :lol:
rpgcodex.net - Worth and traffic estimation | rpg codex > doesn't scale to your level (statshow.com)
551$ monthly revenue, not much but enough to cover one's benzodiazepine expenses. Now that's only the ads , there's also likely some steam curator arrangements and front page deals . But there's no evidence he's getting any of it in which case he's the greatest cuck around . At least he collects free steam keys of games he never uses. For what purpose that's the biggest mystery, one that will never be answered.

OK, but what if Owlcat thinks it’s worth bribing the right people for exposure? Not everyone has a price, but almost everyone does, and it’s pretty damn low. Low enough to fit easily into a budget.

Mortmal

Arcane

OK, but what if Owlcat thinks it’s worth bribing the right people for exposure? Not everyone has a price, but almost everyone does, and it’s pretty damn low. Low enough to fit easily into a budget.
Then owlcat will get frontpage of course , rpgcodex provides mutiple service packages. The best one price fairly high, so far only ubisoft could afford . It's is a fellation review by sceptic , staff defending you and lobbying on the forum, and multiple front page news. But if you are on a tight budget , rpgocdex has an option with cheap writers from the former sovietic block, aka the roxor treatment, an hundred or so only on infinitron@paypal.com you'll still get the front page newspost, but you will get the roxor review , not the premium.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I happen to love both franchises for totally different reasons; if I want a colorful, fun and relaxing adventure world to lose myself into the Might and Magic games were always the ticket while Wizardry was always more cerebral, their combat much more micromanage friendly and their setup more old school but definitely not games to play lightly while I remember these fantastic Saturday nights with my friends all huddled around the PC playing World of Xeen taking turns playing, trying to solve puzzles and just sharing the experience over snacks, drinks and cigarettes listening to Marillion until we beat that level or delivered that quest and the night turned into morning...
The Might and Magic series were something to be shared with friends and enjoyed without complications and lots of fun, including long sessions with Heroes of Might and Magic 2

Kliwer

Savant
Personally, I don't like the Wizardry series (I only played 7 and 8). I don't like the world atmosphere (too much like Star Trek), I don't like the "phased" combat system. In Wizardry 8, the locations and dungeons are hopeless - lots of arduous fights, few puzzles.

Wizards & Warriors is a different story. This is one of the best-designed role-playing games of all time. It is a pity that it is technically crippled. If any game needs and deserves a remake - this is it.

Kliwer

Savant
I mean: too much emphasis on SF aesthetics. Space travel, robots, strange space races. In the M&M series, the SF elements are just a spice. In Wizardry - this is an important and constantly recurring building material for the world and the story. Personally, I don't like it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
That MMX is a turn based blobber is pretty much the best thing you can say about it. As soon as you start getting into details things start looking really meh. Tldr is that it doesn't do any of the important crpg stuff particularly well and it does some of it really bad (itemization, loot). Then, it's a nightmare from the technical and presentation pov on top of that.

MM6-8 are all good for what they are, not sure if I see much point in discussing which one is better. They're all worth playing. And they all have the "god bless the Russians" patches that make them a smooth experience tech-wise.

Older entries + 9 are on my to do list. Played them for some time, but not enough to form an opinion.

Wiz7-8 are in another league, but they're much different games for different needs.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I mean: too much emphasis on SF aesthetics. Space travel, robots, strange space races. In the M&M series, the SF elements are just a spice. In Wizardry - this is an important and constantly recurring building material for the world and the story. Personally, I don't like it.

the scifi stuff in M&M is just as prevalent and plot-wise even more important

Xelocix

Learned
My favourite M&M is the green one.

m%26m.PNG

Kliwer

Savant

Truth. But in M&M, the SF elements are introduced in the last hour of the game. In Wizardry 8, they hit us in the eyes from the first second of the game.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Truth. But in M&M, the SF elements are introduced in the last hour of the game. In Wizardry 8, they hit us in the eyes from the first second of the game.

M&M 6 starts with an alien invasion

But you don't know they are actually aliens until very, very late game. "They come, they land, and then they conquer" is vague enough to arrest that conclusion.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

But you don't know they are actually aliens until very, very late game. "They come, they land, and then they conquer" is vague enough to arrest that conclusion.

Not really, its pretty clear from the intro that they are aliens

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Not really, its pretty clear from the intro that they are aliens

Are DnDs mind flayers and beholders aliens?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom