Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Take-Two Interactive CEO: We think consumers are ready for $70 games

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I have no clue why anyone is even buying these games they are, in most cases, absolute shit and the few that aren't can fuck of with these prices.

It's not even that I can't afford it, but they can just fuck off when I can get a good game for 15 bucks just because it has content rather than graphics.

I haven't played AAA for years and I am not worse off for it, not in the least. Fuck them.

Dexter

Arcane
Take-Two Interactive CEO thinks consumers are prepared for a $69.99 price hike
He's not wrong. Looking at Shart Shitizen and KickStarter he's probably heavily underselling it and there are Whales that are "prepared" for a lot more than that ranging from thousands to tens of thousands if it's a game they really want. If they find a way to segment it properly or offer "Deluxe" content for certain people or maybe a month or two Early Access or whatever they could probably have a tiered system where they can plunder the Whales at first, then get the normal "consumers" in on it and the Cheapasses a few years later with 50-80% discounts.

Zlaja

Arcane
there are Whales that are "prepared" for a lot more than that ranging from thousands to tens of thousands if it's a game they really want

Why are whales such obnoxious assholes, anyway? Not only are they showering scummy publishers with cash, but lately their cousin 'landwhale' has started to replace pretty models on runways as well. We might have to come to some sort of final solution for these smug bastards. Just look at them laughing at us:

uMgE9CNZUZ59x2wndWs5z7AfoRjpW8kJkQKHWWwC.jpeg

Mark Richard

Arcane
Take-Two's CEO cites the 2005-6 price increase as justification, but back then they weren't supplementing their income with a massive nickel-and-dime operation (loot boxes and micro transactions) that obfuscates the amount of money changing hands, tricking plebs into spending what they don't have. There is no such obfuscation with an upfront retail price - gamers clearly see they can't afford it, so publishers may end up making less overall.

Then again, maybe they won't.

The hot takes from various gaming commentators has once again displayed a baffling attachment to these products, acting as if big budget games are akin to insulin pumps and AAA publishers have a monopoly. Even in a topsy-turvy world where I'd conceivably desire one of Take-Two's abominations, I would be rebuffed by the price increase and... move on with my life. There're thousands of entertainment alternatives who'd love your business. Begging Take-Two to take your money is a perverse misconception as to who holds the real power in the relationship between customer and provider.

Each day I become more like my Dad, who periodically reminds me that for one Christmas during his childhood his only present was a single orange fruit. Folk seem to find it increasingly difficult to envision a world where they aren't fulfilling every whim at the press of a button.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Considering all the tiny DLCs, microtransactions and other shenanigans, most AAA games easily break the $70 mark already. If you are dumb enough to pay full prize, that is.

Codex Year of the Donut
gamers clearly see they can't afford it, so publishers may end up making less overall.
Pretty much.
Optimal price for most video games is way, way below $60. A very large portion of video game sales come after the price is reduced or when it's on a deep discount, not to mention regional pricing. Discounts and price reductions would be less necessary if they priced their games better to begin with.

I consider Divinity: Original Sin 2 to be a good example of proper pricing. It launched at $45 and took about 2 years to get a discount above 20%, and has yet to drop its price.
Compare that to games like Assassin's Creed:Odyssey that was on sale for half off just 6 months after release.

passerby

Arcane
Optimal price for most video games is way, way below $60. A very large portion of video game sales come after the price is reduced or when it's on a deep discount, not to mention regional pricing.

Nope, 70-80% of income is being generated at full 1st world price, if price reduction is necessary to start generating income it's a financial failure.

fork

It's ridiculous that so many people buy these shit games for full price at release.
Fucking normies, man.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only games I bought full-price in recent years were Grimoire, Disco Elysium, and Titan Outpost... all of them indie games that had/have full price tags at below 40 euros. AND they usually offer a better experience than much more highly priced AAA games.

The next game I will likely buy at full price is going to be Space Wreck.

Codex Year of the Donut
Optimal price for most video games is way, way below $60. A very large portion of video game sales come after the price is reduced or when it's on a deep discount, not to mention regional pricing.

Nope, 70-80% of income is being generated at full 1st world price, if price reduction is necessary to start generating income it's a financial failure.
I'm not sure I believe this, especially with the advent of massive amounts of DLC. It's probably true for AAA games that get lots of press coverage and end up being meh. Many games have very long tails.
If we look at CDP, we can see that they had an obvious bump on the release year of Witcher 3 but it didn't taper off anywhere near as much as you'd suspect if we go by your assumption:

Nearly all of CDP's revenues were made from a single game during this period(Witcher 3) so it makes them a good company to analyze.
From the report itself:
"In the first half of 2020 the CD PROJEKT Group's results were primarily affected by sales of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and its expansions (Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine), sold separately as well as in the Game of the Year Edition bundle for the PC, Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Switch,"
While the chart obviously does not contain 2020, I don't think it's too farfetched to assume that applies to previous years as well.

From the horse's mouth itself, Witcher 3 made $50 million USD on Steam from October 1st 2018 to Feb 20th, 2020:

October 1st, 2018 is about 3 and a half years after Witcher 3 launched.

But yes, there is a release bump. However, I don't agree that it's being maximized by the current prices. How many people end up picking a game up at $5(or pirating) would have actually bought it at release if it was $40 instead of $60? I'm partially judging this based on my own experience with DOS1 & 2, which were priced at $40 and $45 respectively -- I thought it was a good price that reflected their value. OTOH, Obsidian's Outer Worlds seemed ridiculous at $60.

Video games, from an economic standpoint, seem to be overpriced. Consumers expecting and waiting for games to go on discount before buying is a symptom of this.

[edit]
And for some numbers on a smaller, indie game:
The Age of Decadence:

2013-2014 (Early Access & Direct Pre-Orders): 13,124 units – $320,157 – $24.39 avg.
2015: 20,771 – $472,869 – $22.76
2016: 48,798 – $620,914 – $12.72 (50% discount is introduced in March)
2017: 43,808 – $293,714 – $6.70 (75% off on sale events throughout the year)
2018: 27,121 – $151,786 – $5.60 (reduced the base price from $29.99 to $19.99; 60-80% off sale events throughout the year)
2019: 24,141 – $86,794 – $3.59 (reduced the base price to $14.99; 66-75% off throughout the year)
What's interesting here is that he includes the average price paid for a copy.

Thanks for being transparent, Vince.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7822.0.html

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Only games I buy at full price nowadays are those Kickstarter games. Other than that, I think the last game I bought at full price was Fallout: New Vegas. Might also be Pathfinder: Kingmaker too since I didn't back it, IIRC.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
"ready to pay more for your soulless sequel tripe?"

Nah think I'll go see what the little guys are making lately

Your shit wasn't worth 40 when 40 was the going rate, it wasn't worth 50 or 60 and it sure as fuck isn't worth 70

Zlaja

Arcane

Your shit wasn't worth 40 when 40 was the going rate, it wasn't worth 50 or 60 and it sure as fuck isn't worth 70

I bet Shitty Kitty would pay 500$ to have the next part of FF7 remake be released tommorow.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected

I bet Shitty Kitty would pay 500$ to have the next part of FF7 remake be released tommorow.
You lose.

The fuck is it with people and bad bets lately?

Churrasco

Augur
Patron
Wasteland 2
i think players are ready for games to be even more expensive considering people buy $100s in DLC/microtransactions, $1000s for FIFA characters, and $10000s for space vaporware

urmom

Learned
Last games I bought at full price were preorders of Homeworld 2 and ToEE.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Money is not the problem, quality is (lack thereof)

I'd spit out 70 bucks were they any good

Nowadays you're paying for voice acting, technology and orchestra, not actual gameplay

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Money is not the problem, quality is (lack thereof)

I'd spit out 70 bucks were they any good

Nowadays you're paying for voice acting, technology and orchestra, not actual gameplay
if the orchestra is the strongest thing the game brings I'll buy the OST for way less than fucking 70 smackers

maybe

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom