Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because it is a military-grade implant built into your head, not some home computer. If I'm getting a neural interface built into my head I sure as fuck want it designed around absolute efficiency and not include the personalized cutesy messaged of some fat sweaty hipster programmer.

Windows 10 is already used in military-grade equipment though and whatever OS the implant is running already has entertainment software like games.

Honestly you are reading way too much into the whole "military grade" part, it is just a better sounding way to say "ultra super duper powerful gadget that only a few can have", not "sucks all the fun out" - especially for a hacker considering the hacker culture and image that was prevalent during the 90s.

I feel like the "nitpicking" counter is used to discredit very valid criticism all too often. If that is not your intent then never mind. If the criticism is so very minor and very subjective then I classify it as nitpicking, but that doesn't look to be the case with *most* of Zylonbane's notes. Like his closing statement says, it's details like this (and many other factors) that set Looking Glass apart from the rest.

I agree about what is nitpicky, the thing is that to me pretty much everything mentioned aside of the usability parts (like low resolution text, etc) is both subjective and very minor in its importance, which is why i wrote that it is nitpicking. I can see where he's coming from with his closing statement but i do not agree that everything he mentioned (or even most of the things in fact) is what set Looking Glass apart from the rest - especially when SS1 had several issues itself.

Regardless, as i wrote, overall i am in agreement with the issues he brought up.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
kqcwxfs.jpg

:abyssgazer:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like they're making the intro cutscene a playable sequence: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3167221

April Update

Welcome back Hackers,

We hope that you have been enjoying the demo, but it’s time to get back to monthly updates!

90cea51c428efcd059e5919fed9884c8_h264_high.jpg

In the original game, you watch the scene play out as the Hacker is apprehended and brought to Citadel Station. Now, we want you to be able to experience that moment first hand. So let's get a look at what could be seen in the original footage of the Hackers apartment.

b7e0b0e65dc2b2ea0428c06af4f75616_original.png

435be25263874bee29154e665fb79961_original.png

8395eb8faa19cd9e09bf0155a6edf49d_original.jpg

Not much to be seen right? Now let's see a more revealing view.

In the last update, we showed a few images of the reimaging of the space, but here it is coming together.

c11f7b79b6ec4a6bafbd45dd06b34081_original.jpg

To start off, we have concepts of the tiles that build out the main area of the apartment, from original System Shock artist, Robb Waters.

abcf8e69822e4edec614bac8871a93dd_original.jpg

cf11ee321cd1118f5a5d6a74ea63a05b_original.jpg

0795142441398102514e50a1ac07da8b_original.jpg

e4b945ac5f46695abeca44167edc0993_original.jpg

Then we establish a mood with these lived-in concepts.

c8628a28e67e4ba39a6b839dc5848da3_original.jpg

1fc55d2464756bdadcc9f222af3efca4_original.jpg

865ecff2e102fb7ed5310e786544969b_original.jpg

Next, we think about the props that will need to be modeled to fill out the spaces.

f45b4456fff27d9c332612b0718af477_original.png

1885f11c3487ba1d9e2694e025e4bd8d_original.png

27669d76332682a1d296ce61aa4e3212_original.PNG

Here is an early example of the props being put in the actual level before further iterations.

5911e36da69a2e3220de3a043b321899_h264_high.jpg

Look at that, a functioning apartment coming together.

39fdf074ff47f64b3a44b1ac0b559ad9_h264_base.jpg

The Hacker might need to order some take-out to fill out this fridge.

90b55925a51033537070ece30dd37e5e_h264_high.jpg

Don't forget to flush the toilet and wash your hands.

Immersive, right? I hope you look forward to playing out the intro this time and not just watching it!

KEX Team News
It's your time to walk on the Deadside, with Shadowman.

23ca7c4cc5f6a10768f1727991b0e32c_original.jpg

He is coming, stalking criminals in the spirit world and the real world. A possessed man is coming, a voodoo mask in his chest and lines of power in his back. Shadow Man is coming, trailing evil from Liveside to Deadside. To stop an apocalypse. To save your soul.

Steam https://bit.ly/3geyJJ8

GOG https://bit.ly/3smlHvx

Epic https://bit.ly/32guLHo

Be sure to follow us on:

Nightdive Twitter

System Shock Twitter

Nightdive Facebook

Nightdive Discord

Nightdive Instagram

See you next time!

e52b8631b037b554493a24249daba6e4_original.gif

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Playing through the intro seems unnecessary.
If they're trying to further characterize Hackerman there are better/more efficient ways of doing it.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Like what?
I have no clue what they're even going for which makes it hard to be specific.
Just trying to make sense of why they would add on a fully modeled apartment with interactables when presumably Medical is still the only deck that is "finished".

ciox

Liturgist
I would have thought they'd have enough work to be getting on with without adding new and extraneous mini levels.

It seems to be a Kickstarter thing, rush out small stuff for a content update, even if it's garbage that barely has anything to do with the main game that is already 3-4 years late.

Eerily similar situation with another Kickstarter I just looked at for Starr Mazer, another game that's 3+ years late. The bulk of it is supposed to be shmup gameplay, but one of their biggest updates is about the main character running around his apartment and doing puzzles with rotten cheese in his fridge. Epic.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I fail to understand why anyone would want to play a scene that amounts to a short hacking sequence followed by the player getting arrested. Feels a bit like trying to get a gotcha moment out of the game, only that won't work because its the first five minutes. It also looks really ugly, like a mix of vastly different styles of futurism.

Lemming42

Arcane
Agreed with people who say the Hacker already has all the characterisation necessary. Any attempts to add more details to him just end up creating a wider gap between him and the player, which is the exact opposite of what the game should be attempting.

I really can't see much benefit in having the intro be playable. I guess they want to create a contrast between the safety of the Hacker's apartment on Earth, and the dread of the station (since they've changed Citadel into a spooky badly-lit haunted house for some fucking reason). They'll also likely try to add an extended scene of the Hacker removing SHODAN's ethics constraints and sending it apeshit. Just seems superfluous, the original intro covers all the necessary ground and waking up in Medical was a perfect start to the original game.

Trithne

Erudite
Agreed with people who say the Hacker already has all the characterisation necessary. Any attempts to add more details to him just end up creating a wider gap between him and the player, which is the exact opposite of what the game should be attempting.

I really can't see much benefit in having the intro be playable. I guess they want to create a contrast between the safety of the Hacker's apartment on Earth, and the dread of the station (since they've changed Citadel into a spooky badly-lit haunted house for some fucking reason). They'll also likely try to add an extended scene of the Hacker removing SHODAN's ethics constraints and sending it apeshit. Just seems superfluous, the original intro covers all the necessary ground and waking up in Medical was a perfect start to the original game.

Plus "She re-examin... Re-re-re-re-reeeeeee... I re-examined my priorities, and drew new conclusions" doesn't fit in a playable introduction and I'll miss it.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Tweed has a massive 'tism-hate about this game.. Take everything he says w/ a grain of salt. His video on the demo is one of the cringiest things I've ever seen and I read 4chan.

He sounds like a butthurt little bitch.

Complaining about pressing a button to open a door. That's where I stopped watching, which is ironic considering how the whole video up to that point was a whinge about "wasting the player's time".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom