Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

ciox

Liturgist
Tweed has a massive 'tism-hate about this game.. Take everything he says w/ a grain of salt. His video on the demo is one of the cringiest things I've ever seen and I read 4chan.

He sounds like a butthurt little bitch.

Complaining about pressing a button to open a door. That's where I stopped watching, which is ironic considering how the whole video up to that point was a whinge about "wasting the player's time".

There's a small button on every door now, when in the original game you could just click on the door to open it. SSR's interactive objects also need to be much closer to the crosshair to be usable compared to SS1 and SS2. It's a legitimate complaint.

ciox

Liturgist
While we're at it, opening a UI for keypads and puzzles is also one of the better solutions, especially for a sci-fi game.

There's SSR: get close and zero in with your crosshair right on top of small buttons
Then there's Prey: camera zooms in to the keypad, changing your viewpoint and position in the world, and leaving them changed afterd disengaging
SS1 and SS2: UI overlay appears where you can see what you're doing from any angle, and your position in the world doesn't change

kangaxx

Arbiter
Tweed has a massive 'tism-hate about this game.. Take everything he says w/ a grain of salt. His video on the demo is one of the cringiest things I've ever seen and I read 4chan.

Complaining about pressing a button to open a door. That's where I stopped watching, which is ironic considering how the whole video up to that point was a whinge about "wasting the player's time".

There's a small button on every door now, when in the original game you could just click on the door to open it. SSR's interactive objects also need to be much closer to the crosshair to be usable compared to SS1 and SS2. It's a legitimate complaint.

SS2 had buttons or swipe card pads to open many of the doors too. Who cares?

Edit: I do agree that a small UI for num pads or other puzzles etc is usually better.

prengle

Savant
the only thing that looks even remotely hacker-y about that apartment is the unmade bed, nightdive can't even do cyberpunk neckbeard nests right. smh

ciox

Liturgist

SS2 had buttons or swipe card pads to open many of the doors too. Who cares?

Edit: I do agree that a small UI for num pads or other puzzles etc is usually better.

I think SS2's doors are the easiest to deal with, they open automatically with buttoned doors being the exception, and again, you don't need to headshot the switches to interact with them.

This is one case where Prey wins IMO, its doors also open automatically for convenience, but most of them have buttons just so you can close and lock them in an emergency

Then there's Prey: camera zooms in to the keypad, changing your viewpoint and position in the world, and leaving them changed afterd disengaging
You can change this in the options.

I'll check that out, there was a hint of it anyway since the buttons highlight even before you zoom in on them.

RoSoDude

Arcane
While we're at it, opening a UI for keypads and puzzles is also one of the better solutions, especially for a sci-fi game.

There's SSR: get close and zero in with your crosshair right on top of small buttons
SS1 and SS2: UI overlay appears where you can see what you're doing from any angle, and your position in the world doesn't change

I've been bitching about this for years. SS1 and SS2 both had really good UI fundamentals (particularly SS2), and while there are things to update about SS1 in particular, I have no idea why removing overlays was seen as a priority. I can sort of tolerate it for keypads and computer screens a la Prey (which at least had the camera zoom option), but having the wire/grid puzzle minigames be a real thing in the world just calls attention to the abstraction in a really unpleasant way, while also being much dodgier to interact with. In SS1 and SS2 you can imagine that the UI minigame is just an abstract representation of the task your character is performing (similar to any other lockpicking/hacking minigame, really) and isn't supposed to represent real wire pins and logic switches. With this remake, I am being asked to accept that there is real technology on Citadel Station powered by rotated pipe tiles and paint-mixing color channels, which is just silly and bizarre. Also the new minigames are less interesting from a gameplay perspective as well.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist

I've been bitching about this for years. SS1 and SS2 both had really good UI fundamentals (particularly SS2), and while there are things to update about SS1 in particular, I have no idea why removing overlays was seen as a priority. I can sort of tolerate it for keypads and computer screens a la Prey (which at least had the camera zoom option), but having the wire/grid puzzle minigames be a real thing in the world just calls attention to the abstraction in a really unpleasant way, while also being much dodgier to interact with. In SS1 and SS2 you can imagine that the UI minigame is just an abstract representation of the task your character is performing (similar to any other lockpicking/hacking minigame, really) and isn't supposed to represent real wire pins and logic switches. With this remake, I am being asked to accept that there is real technology on Citadel Station powered by rotated pipe tiles and paint-mixing color channels, which is just silly and bizarre. Also the new minigames are less interesting from a gameplay perspective as well.

Well, it looks like minimal UI is in right now. UI screens or frames are a big no, maybe some disparate floating elements and icons, ideally no UI at all if it can be avoided or streamlined.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

You guys are always able to put this better than I do, I have a small brain.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The Hacker is already perfectly characterized by his Watchmen t-shirt.

You think it's from there? not just generic smile?
This video? :smug:

Funny video, lmaoed on "hidden political agenda" ahah. Good shit.

I fail to understand why anyone would want to play a scene that amounts to a short hacking sequence followed by the player getting arrested. Feels a bit like trying to get a gotcha moment out of the game, only that won't work because its the first five minutes. It also looks really ugly, like a mix of vastly different styles of futurism.

Probably, to make it playable on the game engine is cheaper then make proper CGI?

I have no idea why removing overlays was seen as a priority.

It seems because of "muh immerhun" probably?, of how they understand it.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

b7e0b0e65dc2b2ea0428c06af4f75616_original.png

It's very much a Watchmen reference. (i) The yellow smiley face with (ii) a blood stain on it which looks like (iii) a minute hand of the (doomsday) clock.

The only difference is that on the Watchmen logo a hand indicates that there are a few (~10) minutes left until the Doomsday, while on the hacker's T-shirt the hand points to midnight which means, basically, that the Doomsday has already arrived.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
As much as I agree with Zylon here, I still haven't forgotten what an unbearable jerk he can be lol. I just checked his posts yep still the same criticising jerk about every texture pack that dares challenge his own lol. Meanwhile us Deus Ex texture artists are in awe of the Helios pack.

Your post RSD really points out to me however how important it is to still retain a 2D GUI even in Current Year of our Lord 2021. A big problem with this remake is how over tweened it is and how it wastes your time too much.
There's nothing better than having a snappy UI and you can just go in and get things done. It's why I love SS2's UI because its so snappy same with Deus Ex's. The jump into SS2's Vending machine from simply clicking on it is how you do it properly
it feels natural.

There comes a point where you have to accept and realise you're still making a video game not some virtual world bs.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist

b7e0b0e65dc2b2ea0428c06af4f75616_original.png

It's very much a Watchmen reference. (i) The yellow smiley face with (ii) a blood stain on it which looks like (iii) a minute hand of the (doomsday) clock.

The only difference is that on the Watchmen logo a hand indicates that there are a few (~10) minutes left until the Doomsday, while on the hacker's T-shirt the hand points to midnight which means, basically, that the Doomsday has already arrived.

And you rate my posts with autism? Jesus christ.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3234413

June Update

Welcome back Hackers,

For this month's update, I thought we could celebrate the details that go into fleshing out Citadel Station.

Enemies
“Specimen #124 - Attempting to uncover the lines of evolutionary heritage, we injected the mutagenic virus into unhatched lizard eggs and exposed them to hyper-oscillating UV radiation. After several unsuccessful trials, we were able to reverse-breed reptilian mutations of the "Squamata" suborder. These airborne lizards appear to be ancestors of our original test organism and have adopted bird-like wing structures, membrane-thin skin, and razor-sharp teeth and foreclaws. Although we have successfully reversed the biological cycle, we have yet to obtain any color variations other than blue. This is most likely attributable to our UV-breeding techniques.”

b20ac48e4097b50e24eabee4eb944fbb_original.gif

Now here is a first look at the Avian Mutant- Tastes like chicken?

8c2514b03fb4efdeb788d4fa33169679_original.jpg

01f303e5ad8c56ba6557470eb8e42880_original.jpg

As you can see, the Avian mutant has had a small redesign by Robb Waters, be prepared for it to be a tad more scary and dangerous this time around.
afbe0464cc870893aad06061c7c45c3c_original.png

63e20ca0343d2dec9fe77f1af427e934_original.png

Then we have the initial concept sculpt.

8907c950e0e031da8b9d2131bf58b4d8_original.png

fa9bd424f1b1332e19107ce34baa577b_original.png

Followed by a more detailed model in progress, during this phase we can begin working on an animation suite while the rest of the model is detailed out.

Levels
We know that you are eager to explore more parts of the station, so here is a sneak peek of some special tiles for The Bridge made by artist Robert Simon.

b39498d5b85320cfed9717e82b4bb76c_original.jpg

f22d3a0db16222aaaacb2951ccf94af4_original.jpg

Now a slightly different type of special tile, the teleporter.

c664246412b87c03adc82b8085a480a0_original.jpg

1ddb0c5219858bf77a4e272c06479f10_original.png

Appearing on just a few levels, special tiles like these are given lots of care and thought. This piece will truly be brought alive with future particle effects and sounds.

218f908c2eb44c2aefacd124eea360e6_original.jpg

In a past update, we showed a very early look into the specimen jars, but here it comes together in more detail. We hope small featured props like this will truly immerse you as you make your way through the station.

Now let’s get even deeper with the details…

66675a64810d2f24114a660256f1469d_h264_base.jpg

Now you can spy on what could be ahead.

5e26d5588d6aecee6601eb8dc00d9526_h264_base.jpg

Status screen on storage units.

d82df5d5288deeab286849ed1adb554e_h264_high.jpg

A new and unique door function to take you to the Groves.

GamePig
This month's featured GamePig game TriOpToe!

a1b0d1b2b5d4246554e2c5b2a94102b0_original.gif

55b97f7f48a8cf9dd223149e19cf757d_original.png

f52d7925557d58241de79ce0c4d46ecc_h264_base.jpg

When it’s time for a break in facing SHODAN and her denizens, sit back and fire up the GamePig.

Announcements
Stephen Kick and Evelyn Mansell will be the guests on the Twitch Weekly show starting at 1:00 PM PST this Thursday! They will be showing a never-before-seen level from System Shock.

So tune in and don’t miss a thing:

https://www.twitch.tv/twitchgaming

5c8c6914f4d875f601fcf82b399c5fef_original.png

Lastly, we now have a Nightdive Studios subreddit, feel free to join our growing community:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NightdiveStudios/

Be sure to follow us on:

Nightdive Twitter

System Shock Twitter

Nightdive Facebook

Nightdive Discord

Nightdive Instagram

See you next time!

e52b8631b037b554493a24249daba6e4_original.gif

randir14

Augur
When they opened up pre-orders a few months ago they said release would be late summer. If they were actually close to meeting that target it seems like they'd be mentioning it, rather than continuing to release game design updates.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Do you think we might be able to play this by 2025?

:shredder:

Months with no update, then basically a few textures and a bang average enemy model...

It's ages since I played the original SS, but the wiki lists 12 distinct locations. Nightdive have shown one.

The Kickstarter started in 2016, so being generous and assuming Medical is "finished", that's one deck every 5 years. Only 11 more to go, so this should be finished in 2076 at their current run rate, 4 years after Citadel Station was blown up IRL.

:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom