Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Den of Geek top 25 RPGs

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The Ultima IV inclusion makes me think that these people are full of shit. They started with Witcher 3 and Chrono Trigger, and then said "Oh wait, we need something hardcore to balance this out. Let me google "good 80s RPG" for a few minutes."

Gregz

Arcane
The relevant part:

25. Disco Elysium
24. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
23. Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar
22. Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
21. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey Of The Cursed King
20. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
19. Secret of Mana
18. Earthbound
17. Vagrant Story
16. Persona 5
15. Final Fantasy 9
14. Deus Ex
13. Suikoden 2
12. Planescape: Torment
11. Baldur’s Gate 2
10. Dark Souls
9. Pokémon Red and Blue
8. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
7. Fallout: New Vegas
6. Mass Effect 2
5. The Witcher 3
4. Final Fantasy 6
3. Diablo 2
2. World of Warcraft
1. Chrono Trigger

I count exactly nine games that belong on that list, not too bad for clown world actually.

mondblut

Arcane
Hard to make a decent list if you are mixing "the best games" with historical / cultural landmarks, like when they say they chose Pokémon Red & Blue over Gold & Silver due to cultural impact but then pick Final Fantasy 9 over 7...

Pick a lane, can't do both at once.

Because "the best games" cannot be more than 5 years old.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Reads like a list made by a normie NPC wanting to garner nerd street cred, anyway, dunno why normie NPCs care so much into trying to appear nerdy, most true RPG nerds were derided on the 80's and 90's as being losers, as if working like a workhorse or being a cuck alimony slave for a bimbo was the intelligent thing to do. Dunno why they think looking nerdy is cool now, guess it is the increasing number of failed english lits trying desperately to find a job anywhere so game journos (mostly failed english lits) try hard to turn "RPGs" or games in general on a "legit" thing for normie NPCs for quite some time so they need to include disproportionately new games and weeb so normies get a frame of reference, that is what I get from those useless lists.

Falksi

Arcane
Usual mainstream shit.

The Mass Effect 2 love baffles me too. I've recent replayed all 3 and it's hands down the most boring in the series. It's not even an RPG, it's a bad shooter with cut-scenes. ME3 at least recognizes what it is, and gives you decent gameplay. ME2 removes all the RPG elements from ME1 and gives you a shit version of Gears of War to play instead.

And as someone who loves a good JRPG it's fucking embarrassing seeing Chrono Trigger so lauded. It's a great introductory JRPG for kids, and would be something which I'd recommend to anyone who'd never played a JRPG before and wanted to try the genre out. But it's so fucking simple, and combat so fucking easy, that any gamer who's played more than a handful of JRPGs will be wondering WTF these normies are on.

The fact Secret of Mana even made the list shows how retarded the silly cunts who wrote the piece are. Shining Force 2, Lufia 2, Terranigma etc. it's probably not even in the top 5 16-bit JRPGs, never mind the top 25 ever. Hell it's not even as good as it's sequel.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
This person did not play Ultima 4.

How so? None of the things he wrote are obviously fake. "Unusual character building mechanics" might sound suspicious since that element since the game is so simplistic but doing a personality test to select a class is not something you see very often.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This person did not play Ultima 4.

How so? None of the things he wrote are obviously fake. "Unusual character building mechanics" might sound suspicious since that element since the game is so simplistic but doing a personality test to select a class is not something you see very often.

No blobbers or tactical RPGs or any other PC games prior to late 90's. BS. If you played Ultima 4, you would have put at least a couple of other games from that era on this list. If he would have replaced Secret of Mana with Wizardry 1, 4, or 7 or maybe included Pool of Radiance, Fallout, Krondor, or Xeen, I would have given the benefit of the doubt. As it is, I don't think this faker played half the games on this list, let alone Ultima 4. Also Dragon Quest 5 is the best Dragon Quest, so he doesn't even know his JRPGs.

Last edited:

Max Heap

Arcane
I am generally for a 2-5 years "cooling-off period" before putting games on lists like these, but even then this one would be shit.

While I love Ultima 4, anyone can tell it's a smug academic pick.
Especially when there is no Ultima 5 or 7 on there.

Same with FF6 and FF9.
It's like they are trying really hard to avoid FF7 and just put those on there because of some perceived elitist consensus.
And I'm not even saying that FF7 is better than FF6, but when your top picks are Diablo, fucking WoW of all games, and Chrono Trigger?
Come on. Stick to your bullshit at least. You ain't foolin anybody.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I wasn't the biggest fan of FF7 when it came out. I borrowed it over a weekend and had to play it straight through. Decades later, it's the one I remember most, although it's probably because of the music. It's been cool to shit on it for years now, but it's the biggest reason why many JRPGs actually got a Western release, unless I've been lied to.

Red Hexapus

Learned
I'm always surprised to see Secret of Mana on these lists, I guess I should attribute its presence to "nostalgia" effect. I've played and finished it last year and while it has pretty graphics and nice music, the story is mediocre and the combat is atrocious. The best way to fight (especially bosses) is to spam magic attacks and while different weapons have charged abilities, it takes too long to charge them to high level to be of any use. Also computer controlled characters tend to get stuck on every fucking rock, so you have to switch to them and control them yourself...

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The relevant part:

25. Disco Elysium
24. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
23. Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar
22. Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
21. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey Of The Cursed King
20. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
19. Secret of Mana
18. Earthbound
17. Vagrant Story
16. Persona 5
15. Final Fantasy 9
14. Deus Ex
13. Suikoden 2
12. Planescape: Torment
11. Baldur’s Gate 2
10. Dark Souls
9. Pokémon Red and Blue
8. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
7. Fallout: New Vegas
6. Mass Effect 2
5. The Witcher 3
4. Final Fantasy 6
3. Diablo 2
2. World of Warcraft
1. Chrono Trigger
I can understand and accept most of these, but Mass Effect 2 and World of Warcraft really stand out as sore thumbs in this. What the fuck.

GreyViper

Prophet
That list does not make any sense at all, I mean even if you take 1st being the lowest and 25 being the top games, the order and some of the titles don't make sense. I mean no Ultima 7 or Ultima Underworld, wheres Daggerfall or Might and Magic 6-8? I'm sorry whoever made the list has shitty taste.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom