Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum .

sigard

Not Excidium

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
I've tried a few times to get into this over the years, but it's never really clicked with me.

Has anyone a spunk-monkey set of tips to play and enjoy? I want to try it again, but can't be arsed having to think my way through all the faff of setting up a character & starting out again.

TwoEdge

Scholar
4. Latest UAP has an option to remove the level cap on install, go into misc mods and check "Level Cap Remover".

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Has anyone a spunk-monkey set of tips to play and enjoy? I want to try it again, but can't be arsed having to think my way through all the faff of setting up a character & starting out again.
Try Harm. There is no harm in it.

You can do whatever then.

jackofshadows

Magister
1. Can you go to dermholm and black root directly from crash site without going to Shrouded Hills first?
No. You have to eigher kill them, persuade Lukan or take his quest and blow up the bridge materials.
Depends on what do you enjoy in RPGs in general? Wizard bullshitery, straight dumb awesome warrioreness or maybe cloack and dagger fuckingfrombehindness?

Harm makes the game a joke in real-time mode. Especially if you get it half-costed with the specialization in Necromancy. After you get past the bridge, you can go pretty much anywhere if you know the exact latitude and longitude. The game isn't very hard and it's been awhile, but the only advice is related to recruitable NPCs. They only level up when you do, so get them early. If you're playing with a party, RTwP is basically unmanageable. Also, I think your PC has to score the kill in order to get EXP from combat. You'll want to fact-check me on that though.

Oh. And using FATE points to garuntee a pickpocket is a very wise and thrifty use. Burglary is a great pastime. Not all merchants sleep at night.

Falksi

Arcane
1. Can you go to dermholm and black root directly from crash site without going to Shrouded Hills first?
No. You have to eigher kill them, persuade Lukan or take his quest and blow up the bridge materials.
Depends on what do you enjoy in RPGs in general? Wizard bullshitery, straight dumb awesome warrioreness or maybe cloack and dagger fuckingfrombehindness?

Honestly I've reached the point where I play games now for whichever just provides the most interesting & fun experience. I usually find Wizardry & Roguery provide that, especially in turn based RPGs where Warrior class usually means just standing there exchanging blows, and not actually doing much regards positioning or crowd control etc. But it's obviously different for each game. So whichever you think is grooviest.

jackofshadows

Magister
Honestly I've reached the point where I play games now for whichever just provides the most interesting & fun experience. I usually find Wizardry & Roguery provide that, especially in turn based RPGs where Warrior class usually means just standing there exchanging blows, and not actually doing much regards positioning or crowd control etc. But it's obviously different for each game. So whichever you think is grooviest.
Rogue's path is somewhat hard to pull off at the start so wizardry bulshittery it is then. You will need harm (THE HARM), yes, the meme spell (because it has unlimited use in RT mode outside of fatique/mana pool dependance) and then cranking magic aptitude up to 100% through learning as much spells as possible early on in order to increase the damage of harm and the other damage spells. Which are very few actually: fire flash (fireball, basically), lightning and, ultimately, disintegration. You'd also want to learn teleportation ASAP so raise your WP accordingly. But even before that - conjure spirit, is a great spell, especially when use it on plot characters.

Aside from that you're free to do whatever you want because wizard is very skill and gear independed with an exception of arcane staff which can be baught off gypsy women randomly (expensive, not available early, you can restock them by waiting 24h while not having them in sight). By the way, simply smash "s" for waiting a bit to restore "mana".

There, enjoy.

Last edited:

curds

Magister
I've tried a few times to get into this over the years, but it's never really clicked with me.

For an easy time be a mage (harm spell as others have already said) and go high cha and persuasion for convos (one of the areas where arcanum shines).

there's also a bunch of other cool spells in arcanum, so mage is fun and interesting aside from being powerful.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Magic is more powerful than everything else by far.

The potency and damage of all magic spells increases the more spells you learn (a little weird, they probably did this to further punish people for trying to create tech-mage hybrids)

Harm is the best and most cost effective offensive spell pretty much anytime. If you go full mage and choose a lot of spells, it becomes so strong that basically everything dies in blood sausage explosion when you click on them.

So anything that gets you more spells and more mana to cast those spells is good.

Last edited:
Also, I think your PC has to score the kill in order to get EXP from combat. You'll want to fact-check me on that though.
Characters get experience upon each successful hit on the enemy.

Ahhhh, that makes sense. I once did a glass-cannon but high charisma technologist build that had serious problems leveling up. He could do maybe 2 shots with the elephant gun in battle before passing out. My massive party took care of things, but leveling up was incredibly slow. It also explains why my solo mage run capped out so early from spamming harm in real time.

jackofshadows

Magister

There is also an option of paying them to cross the bridge (1000 by default if I recall correctly).
Yes, forgot to mention it. Also, if playing murder-hobo style, Doc Roberts and two guards will kill Lukan and his half-ogres and will be waiting for you there instead. I've only seen it once so not sure what exactly triggers it. That option doubly raises the question - why Roberts is so lazy in the usual course of events.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There is also an option of paying them to cross the bridge (1000 by default if I recall correctly).
Yes, forgot to mention it. Also, if playing murder-hobo style, Doc Roberts and two guards will kill Lukan and his half-ogres and will be waiting for you there instead. I've only seen it once so not sure what exactly triggers it. That option doubly raises the question - why Roberts is so lazy in the usual course of events.

Wot, there's something that leads to Doc Roberts dealing with Lukan??

I never saw that in my dozen playthroughs!

reinstalls Arcanum

Brancaleone

Prophet

Doesn't that happen if you don't give Jacob Bens his share of the bank money? I think I screwed up like that in my very first playthrough.

jackofshadows

Magister

Doesn't that happen if you don't give Jacob Bens his share of the bank money? I think I screwed up like that in my very first playthrough.
Yeah, probably. But maybe you also have to do something else vile like blow up the bridge parts, blow up the engine in the temple along with the midget, maybe even murder few random guys in order to lower your reputation in town to minimum.

MartinK

Learned
If you want tech, get into explosives. They are great money maker and usefull in battle too. Smithing and mechanical branches let you build an army of automatons of potentially unlimited size. You could in theory use mechanical arachnids but these are a bit too slow to be practical.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I've tried to complete this game several times and I feel like the world is conspiring against me. I enjoyed the game and have gotten decently far but every time I try a new play through I either lose my save game, hit a game breaking bug, have a hardware failure, etc. My favorite way to play it is in Real Time and I can spam the firewall spell as quick as I can click. I usually end up having to wait collapsed on the ground after every battle because I spam the button so fast that I run out of energy and faint. Fun game.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I suggest watching Chris Avellone's Let's Play for tips and tricks.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter

You're either immediately sucked in by character creation and the soundtrack, or you're not. You don't have to like things that other people like. I like it. Also you're stupid for not liking it.

Falksi

Arcane

You're either immediately sucked in by character creation and the soundtrack, or you're not. You don't have to like things that other people like. I like it. Also you're stupid for not liking it.

That's the thing, I was sucked in by those. But it felt like I was hitting too many walls which prevented me from getting sucked in much further after that.

I've only given it a few goes here and there, probably around 10-15 hours in total (Steam is setup on my other PC which is at my other house, so I can't check at the mo), so - because of it's legendary status - I'm more than prepared to give it another few goes because it does contain a lot of qualities I enjoy in such games. Hell I fucking hated The Witcher 2 on the first play for 10 hours, 5 full playthroughs later and it's one of my favourite games ever. I'm just past the point of trying to find my own way with Arcanum now.

And I guess I was a bit stupid......stupid enough to bang ur mom.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Magic is fun, even more because of the teleport spell but i find tech more satisfying in the long run because you'll hunt schematics and change weapons often and build your own gear.
Also, Gun/throwing build is even better so you use grenades and explosives on top of guns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom