Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Rift Riders: Call Of The Maelstrom - dungeon crawler in development (playable version available)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
https://pixelcomrades.itch.io/rift-riders
(some drawings here : https://niceonthenet.artstation.com/albums/748451)
A dungeon crawling rpg inspired by classics like Wizardry and Might & Magic! Features:

• Turn based or Real Time with Pause combat
  • An elaborate class system design for multi classing
  • Complex skill system to fully develop your characters
  • Unique setting where you can explore weird and wonderful environments at the end of time
This is a rough build with none of the story, exploration, class unlocks, or party management in the full game. Instead, it is a straight forward dungeon dive through 12 levels to get feedback on the combat system. Many of the graphical elements are not final and have issues. The game currently only a small amount of placeholder sound. The build will be updated constantly.

Any feedback appreciated!
nsaQxy.png
%2FhxhvG.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Cease and desist letter from Palladium Books incoming...

Not kidding. Given their history of legal threats/battles (Larian, Trion Worlds), I probably wouldn't use the word "Rift" in a title for an RPG.

Tecumseh_Sherman

Barely Literate
I was surprised to see this on the analytics tab since I hadn't done anything but make the itch page public.

Yeah some people aren't going to like our art style but we thought it better to risk and be distinctive than bland. A lot of super low budget indie just look like an uglier Grimrock and I wanted to avoid that.

I do regret bothering with 3D character art at all since I was unaware how fully featured bone based 2D animation had become. Our next game won't bother with as much 3D.

I'm not particularly worried about anyone giving legal notice since the fate of most indie games anymore is end up buried on Steam. I'd be very surprised if anyone notices us that much. Our intent with the title was just something that was unambiguously cheesy in the 70s fantasy mold so changing it wouldn't be a tragedy.

Tecumseh_Sherman

Barely Literate
Yes, perhaps the 3D characters don't entirely do justice to the other visual parts since your 2D is particularly good but I like the distinctive look of the game.

Thanks! We didn't want a 'retro' (pixelated etc) look but I wanted something that still evoked old 80s / early 90s CRPGs. We ended up looking through a lot of old CRPG manuals and then looking at which artists were inspiring them. That led to some French comic artists and 70s album/book covers which morphed into our sorta comic book high contrast style.

It's just 3 of us working in our free time (2 artists and me on everything else) so we also needed a style that was kinda rough so it wouldn't demand a degree of polish we would never have time for.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
We definitely need more games (loosely or closely) based on Druillet's work.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
This is a SSI's Gold Box style game now, follow the link for previous updates.
Featured – December 2, 2020
Gameplay Loop
Screenshot-2021-01-25-232849-1.png

The gameplay loop is usually the heart of the game. Our loop is straight forward as it hearkens back to some very specific classic CRPGs: the original Realms of Arkania and SSI's Gold Box games. These games had three basic gameplay modes and cycling through them was their loop

Grid Based Dungeon Exploration:

Explore.gif

Like those games exploration is first person and movement is grid based. I've always liked this combination that allows for immersive environments while still being very quick and efficient to explore. Along with a grid based map it is always very clear where you've already explored. Dungeon features are easy to spot since they are also on a grid rather than needing to poke into every nook and cranny for a key or switch. Unlike some other classic CRPGs like the older Might and Magic or Wizardry games combat does not also happen in this view.

Explore1.gif

Whether from special events, npcs, or random encounters, the game transitions to a different gameplay system for combat.

Turn Based Combat:

Turn based tactical combat has had something of a renaissance in the last decade, but previously it was one of the standout characteristics of our inspirations. Rather than the more abbreviated combat of some of their contemporaries both RoA and the Gold Box games had turn based tactical combat where you control your characters individually on a grid.

Combat.gif

Our combat is similar just with modern UI conveniences and some (optional) flourishes like combat cinematics. The combat system differs from the older games in quite a bit in practice since we have more complicated action point, ability, and movement systems. At its heart it is the same crunchy tactical gameplay.

Combat1.gif

Map Travel:

Our inspirations also had an overworld travel system that connected the various points of interest and had chances for random encounters. We have a similar system just where you travel across the cosmic weirdness of Rift Space rather than the more traditional mountains and forests of fantasy.

image.png

Town Menu:

This is a change from our inspirations. The original games all had town exploration be done via the same first person grid you explored dungeons. This made towns look more like dungeons than towns. While I always accepted the barebones nature of grid based dungeons it always felt a bit more off in towns. I was always more charmed by the menu based towns of Betrayal at Krondor, Darklands, or (less classic) Wizards & Warriors. We decided with more limited time it was better to infuse as much personality as we could into menu based towns rather than have them explored first person.

Town.gif

So there you have it. In Rift Riders you will travel Rift Space visiting towns and dungeons. You will explore dungeons in first person and engage in tactical combat. Look for more details about combat in a future update.

Share: Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This went from "I'm only really interested for the art" to "I am looking forward to this game".

This isn't anything super new but everything here looks interesting now.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
looks GREAT! my kinda thing. looking forward to it, bookmarked the link.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom