Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I'm more interested now in this game. I fucking hate roguelikes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...s-thursday-for-an-extended-look-at-deathloop/

Tune in to State of Play this Thursday for an extended look at Deathloop

SOP_1920x1080_ENG.jpg

Get ready for approximately 30 minutes of indie and third-party updates, including a reality warping tour of Blackreef Island.

We’ve seen Colt’s head-spinning powers in action before, but this Thursday we’ll get a nine-minute look at Deathloop’s time-twisted world as part of a new State of Play. The show kicks off at 2pm Pacific / 5pm Eastern / 11pm CEST, viewable on Twitch or YouTube.

In this extended gameplay sequence, we’ll see Colt use his abilities to stealthily skulk across rooftops… or go in guns blazing to create a whole lot of mayhem. Lots of options available on Blackreef Island.

In addition to this long look at Bethesda’s violent adventure, we’ll have updates on some exciting indie and third-party titles. The full show clocks in around 30 minutes.

This showcase will not include updates on the next God of War, Horizon Forbidden West or the next generation of PlayStation VR. Stay tuned throughout the summer though, as we’ll have more updates soon.

See you Thursday!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
No, it's a relapse into blaxploitation.

I assume the game is nothing but senseless violence, sex scenes, exaggerated afros and music by Hot Chocolate.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Dishonored but worse.
I heard it was multiplayer or something? Or they backed down and made single player game instead? The mention of multi-player kinda makes me auto bypass it from my mind.
You can enable "player invasions" kind of like in Dark Souls - another player can take over as the main antagonist to keep things unpredictable. Sounds kinda interesting to be honest, but it doesn't sound like they've really thought griefers through. You can just turn it off.

I've never played a game with that mechanic, but isn't it basically designed as "legalised griefing"?

Dishonored but worse.
I heard it was multiplayer or something? Or they backed down and made single player game instead? The mention of multi-player kinda makes me auto bypass it from my mind.
You can enable "player invasions" kind of like in Dark Souls - another player can take over as the main antagonist to keep things unpredictable. Sounds kinda interesting to be honest, but it doesn't sound like they've really thought griefers through. You can just turn it off.

I've never played a game with that mechanic, but isn't it basically designed as "legalised griefing"?

You have to opt into it in Dark Souls. Doing so raises your drop rate and affects a few other things, but opens you up to higher risk.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Dishonored but worse.

Yes, but you can also summon players to help you, so it balances it out.
Invading in Dark Souls is actually really hard for that reason, because there's a good chance your target will be protected by other players who will gank the shit out of you.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sort of yes, but it's more nuanced than that. True griefing is where a player can come in and prevent you from playing the game, wreck everything you've built etc. In this, it looks like a person can drop in and kill you horribly once in a while, but you basically lose nothing and then you get back to playing (the same player can't sit there and kill you over and over). If getting killed sometimes is all part of the expected gameplay loop, it's not griefing to kill you sometimes.

ADL

Prophet
So I was right with my assumption that this would be Hitman meets Arkane™ immersive sim with a little more focus on lethal playstyles.
Not sure why I'm supposed to hate this?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Jesus that dialogue is peak cringe, wtf.
Yeah, feels like typical quirky millennial shit.
Also, you can tell they are really trying to be a soulslike.
Death doesn't matter, there's an invader hunting you and there's a corpse run mechanic.

It does look kind of fun, but I feel that the writing and gameplay will get old real fast.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It would be interesting if the opponent AI is challenging or, well, at least interesting. Somehow reminds me of that LGS wanted to make Shodan in SS1 actually involved "gameplay" AI. But I doubt this will be it, seeing that they are really not talking about AI controlled opponent.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Looks like it's going to be extremely repetitive if you have to keep reenacting the same assassinations. Also is there any mechanism to prevent save-scumming bypassing the entire LOOP part of the premise?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom