Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the best RPG of the CRPG Renaissance?

Best CRPGs 2012-2021

• Legend of Grimrock

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Dead State (ReAnimated)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Divinity: Original Sin

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

• Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

• Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Shadowrun Returns

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Votes: 62 24.5%
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong

• Legend of Grimrock II

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Might and Magic X: Legacy

• Lords of Xulima

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Votes: 43 17.0%
  • ELEX

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • NEO Scavenger

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Wasteland 2

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Legends of Eisenwald

• Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • The Age of Decadence

Votes: 60 23.7%
  • Underrail

Votes: 84 33.2%
  • Darkest Dungeon

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 23 9.1%
  • Tyranny

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenara

• Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Votes: 99 39.1%
  • Disco Elysium

Votes: 57 22.5%
  • Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones

• Heroine's Quest

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Battle Brothers

Votes: 23 9.1%
  • Expedition: Conquistadors

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • Expedition: Vikings

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • Vaporum

• Vaporum: Lockdown

• Starcrawlers

• Serpent in the Staglands

• ATOM

• Caves of Qud

• Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Votes: 34 13.4%
  • Star Traders

• Tales of Maj'Eyal

• Voidspire Tactics

• Alvora Tactics

• Satellite Reign

• Kenshi

• Troubleshooter

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Dungeon of Naheulbeuk

• Wasteland 3

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Knights of the Chalice 2

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Quest for Infamy

• Blackguards

• Blackguards 2

• Dungeon Rats

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • A Legionary's Life

• Total voters

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Balance is for nerds anyways. If you can't defeat a level 20 Devil Lord with a level 1 party all the while being assaulted by a posse of high level spellcasters. Then you are not worthy for the Holy Chalice.

Adenocaulon

Educated
Considering that nobody cares that Witcher 3 is not even included in this list, I'd say your assessment is incorrect.

I am puzzled that the list is full with tactic games, even if arpgs or some roguelikes are excluded for not being just "rpgs", the same criterion should apply to exclude tactic rpg subgenre.

Shaki

Arbiter
Considering that nobody cares that Witcher 3 is not even included in this list, I'd say your assessment is incorrect.

I am puzzled that the list is full with tactic games, even if arpgs or some roguelikes are excluded for not being just "rpgs", the same criterion should apply to exclude tactic rpg subgenre.

We don't really need another "what is RPG" discussion, since in his kindness, a wise man Funposter already settled that argument for us, once and for all. No other explanation is needed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
My old man brain is playing tricks I guess. I thought for sure Twitcher 3 had won.

It won the Age of Incline 2012-2016 vote, which is arguably even bigger than a single year vote:

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10535

That just proves that Codex isn't immune to the parasitic brain disease that's eating the society. Locking ourselves in a dark basement with other autists can slow the process, but not stop it. It only took a year for W3 to overtake Underrail and AoD. In 20 years the TB vs RTwP debates will cease, with QTE taking over as the pinnacle of combat gameplay, we will all be judging how prestigious the game is by the amount of black lesbian trannies it included, and any mention of wh*te people in gaming will be immediately met with 1000 decline buttons.

By the look of it,a lot of people care a lot about witcher 3.....like yourself and mister wastedump 3. The fuck is wrong with you? A pretty ok action rpg from 5 years ago that most people don't have strong feelings about and just don't talk about it,yet you are butthurt enough to bring it out every few threads and bitch about it lol. Did the witcher didn't fuck you or something ???

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
By the look of it,a lot of people care a lot about witcher 3.....like yourself and mister wastedump 3. The fuck is wrong with you? A pretty ok action rpg from 5 years ago that most people don't have strong feelings about and just don't talk about it,yet you are butthurt enough to bring it out every few threads and bitch about it lol. Did the witcher didn't fuck you or something ???

I was replying to someone who saw the Witcher win as an overall decline of the Codex. The point is, nobody is demanding for that action game to be included in this poll - not even you.

Rieser

Scholar
Grimoire, Underrail, Disco Elysium, Expedition: Vikings and Knights of the Chalice 2.

Sad that turds like Divinity: OS and Pillars of Eternity get more votes than KotC 2.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sad that turds like Divinity: OS and Pillars of Eternity get more votes than KotC 2.
We live in a world with a few dimensions. One of them is time. "Turds" like D: OS 1 and PoE have had time to be played, and thus garnered a reaction.

I'm unaware if the same can be told about KotC 2. :)

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pathfinder pulling off the world's greatest heel turn.

By far the buggiest game I've ever played (on release).

The fact it's now a classic is crazy.

Don_John

Barely Literate
Really good list to dig some of the more unknown titles of the genre!
I got some possible new (and older) entries for you:

- Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous (2021)
- Black Geyser - Couriers of Darkness (2022)
- Expeditions: Rome (2022)
- Weird West (2022)
- Vampire The Masquerade - Swansong (2022)
- The Tower of Time (2018)
- Masquerada - Songs and Shadows (2017)
- The Hand of Merlin (2021)

Alex

Arcane
I haven't played many of the games in the list. Of the ones I have played, I want to mention:

Grimoire: Awesome blobber and one of my favourite from the list. There is a whole lot of talk from people that are annoyed at Cleve that may sometimes muddle how people see this game. But I believe that the game considered by itself has the quality of capturing the spirit of games of yore (possibly because it started as one). It does have a bit of usability issues sometimes but nothing unsurmountable.

Heroine's Quest: This game is a real gem and I still don't understand how it could be given out for free. There are a couple of issues here and there. Perhaps the most obvious is the feminine main character. While I feel this doesn't mesh well with the rest of the nordic setting, the gender swapping doesn't extend to other characters. NPCs fit more with the setting and the game doesn't try to cram some feminist message down your throat. Another point is that how the skills you pick at the start will open or close certain ways of solving the puzzles, which may feel a bit artificial and weird (sorry for not being specific, it has been a while since I played). Still, this game managed to capture the spirit of Quest for Glory in a way none other managed, being perhaps even better than some of the sequels.

Elex: A great Piranha Bytes game that has a few glaring issues but rises above them. For one, the skill system is a bit generic, with all trainers able to teach you all skills from their respective fields. Coupled with that is a stat system that is only used to qualify you to things (weapons, traits, etc) and quite a few useless or uninspired skills. Another problem is the combat that could stand to be a bit more fine tuned. This may sound like a lot of flaws, but with a bit of work I believe all of these flaws could have been fixed rather quickly and if they were this game would have beaten Gothic II in its own qualities. Still, while Elex has these flaws, it also has a very interesting quality; it brings the use of heights and the verticality of level design to a new standard. With the use of the jetpack, it is now possible to explore areas in ways that previously just weren't possible. And since exploration is such a big draw of the PB games, this really makes the game shine even despite its flaws.

Caves of Qud: I haven't played this in a long while, since before it stopped being free. Nor am I going to play it anytime soon since I don't want to support these particular devs. But despite this, I will admit the game had an enormous potential and had a very interesting setting and rules-system. The setting seems very similar to the old Gamma World RPG and the various mutant powers, items and whatnot you can find are amazingly detailed and crafted. Perhaps the most interesting thing is that the developers seem to implement things not based on "balance", but rather on what they should do, given what they are. This can lead to lots of cheap tricks, exploits and whatnots... but that is what is awesome about this game.

Underrail, is a rather interesting game with many good qualities. In particular, I rather liked some aspects of how it implemented crafting. The game is nice and when I played it, it had a very good balance that allowed you to play around with different builds and strategies. In particular, I found it very fun if a bit challenging to play as a psychic trapper, and found it particularly nice when I finally became able to combine both abilities by blowing up mines with psychic powers, managing to damage enemies that would otherwise sidestep the trap. I understand the balance of the game has changed a lot and it was even made easier in some parts, and I find it a pity you can't choose what version you want to play exactly. I haven't voted for it only because I believe Underrail shines more as a a strategy game than an RPG.

Your poll is incredibly flawed. The RPG renaissance was the period when we got Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, and Divinity: Original Sin. Anything after that is the post-renaissance era. Also you are retardedly including remasters which is retarded, you retard.

Deadyawn

Learned
The best is Kenshi.

I'm in awe of the ambition. A strategy/RPG hybrid set in a MASSIVE reactive sandbox filled with warring factions and monsters. The overall dullness is offset by wonderful organic moments that take form from the game's systems rather than be preordained by a designer.

Honorable Mentions:
-Atom RPG: Ukrainian Fallout. Most of the jokes/references flew right over my head but it's not like I couldn't engage with the writting at face value; Hexogen was a very funny character either way. Side content was great.
-Expeditions: Conquistador: really fun tactial RPG with a very unique setting.
-The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos: Puts anything Piranha Bytes has done in more than a decade to shame. At times its a bit "cinematic" for my taste but otherwise it knows what works about Gothic and it knows it well.

Üstad

Arcane
-Atom RPG: Ukrainian Fallout. Most of the jokes/references flew right over my head but it's not like I couldn't engage with the writting at face value; Hexogen was a very funny character either way. Side content was great.
The game has nice soul but terrible combat, no tactical depth whatsoever. Copied the bad sides of Fallout 1-2 for no reason.

Paul_cz

Arcane
So many top down/isometric ones, and so few realtime first person/third person RPGs (my preference)..

So my votes go to Kingdom Come Deliverance, Enderal, Archolos and Elex.

BanEvader

In no particular order:
ELEX
Underrail
Age of Decadence
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Battle Brothers
Not to mention that the second most ignored poster on the Codex is not exactly in a position to pretend that he is some kind of monocled gentleman.
The Bulgarian won't hold that title for long. I have 115 posts and I'm already ignored by 14 posters.
That's an extremely impressive post to ignore ratio, if I do say so myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom