Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fabled Lands - text-heavy turn-based open world RPG based on the gamebook series

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1299620/announcements/detail/5818063669077445555

Mini-devlog Update #13
f2a2a6bd4c946b48035fe7236880b42f019a45ff.png

The land of the Manbeasts

Fort Brilon, named after a Sokaran King of the first dynasty, is the southernmost castle on the fortified wall that keeps out the rabid, savage manbeasts. What the soldiers fear most is what they call ‘Death Duty’ – going out on patrols beyond the wall, into Nerech itself.

The roads are patrolled by troopers of the Sokaran army. The fort is well-supplied from Blessed Springs, and traffic abounds.

You ask the guards at the gate to let you through into Nerech.

As the gates swing open, a priest of Nagil, the God of Death, steps forwards and reads the last rites over you.

‘I’m not dead yet!’ you shout, shoving the priest hard in the chest.

‘As good as,’ he mutters, in between the chant of the Rites of Nagil.

Props, props, props!

cec169ab3ad8264e955abc3490665d036b6b0fe4.png

The closed beta is now on the radar for the Discord community. I am quite eager myself for the testers to get their hands on it already! I am rapidly configuring enemies and combat encounters, fixing location outlines, fine tuning map movement and sailing routes, while the artist polishes and completes the missing bits here and there on characters and the world map.

298cd63725032d6618d2e8562d184429de4a22dd.png

e802641ddce1e5b4f906c3bd79b28d638f3350c7.png

The last week of April I will enroll the beta sign-up. The most avid testers I will humbly ask to help test the last batch of features I plan to add before the public release. Lots of things on the list so fingers crossed!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, this was released on Early Access:

Announced last month: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620?emclan=103582791467160512&emgid=3053981196815846657

BIG NEWS! Early Access coming on 20th of May

8a8525c2aa2aaafa931a1d166a8df5417e52d0b5.png

Folks, that's it. The time has come.

On 21st of May 2 years ago I wrote the first piece of code for this game.

On 20th of May 2021, it's finally time to open the gates and release the game in Early Access on Steam!

30 Beta testers are currently adventuring in the Fabled Lands' closed Beta, each with a different approach, leveling up their heroes, fighting tough battles and making small fortunes. I squash each bug they find with constant and regular patches to make sure the game meets the quality level you and I deem obligatory.

3d5a0af076d972f5e8216e0abb40970762b3f8fe.png

4d2d438dc165e36a67d536b0403a2821dfb60764.png

This game is a tribute to old-school pen & paper RPGs and the era of solo adventures. It is based on a fantastic series from our childhood which we adore. Thus we want to make the Fabled Lands digital adaptation the best game it can be, and we know that working with our community and listening to players' suggestions during Early Access will be key to achieve this.
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

Since there are only two of us, (a sole developer and an artist) it is difficult to accurately estimate how long Early Access will last. Fabled Lands has been developed for 2 years now and we have always used a decidedly open development process from the start.

Our current plan is to release Fabled Lands sometime in 2022. The date will very much be dependent on how we progress with content creation, as well as on the addition and improvement of features based on player feedback.

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

The final version of the base game for Fabled Lands will feature all four areas on the main continent of Harkuna completed and added to the base game, namely
The War-torn Kingdom, Cities of Gold and Glory, The Plains of Howling Darkness
and
The Court of Hidden Faces
. We plan to extend the EA content with more quests, new locations, populate the world with new enemy types, add more trade routes, improve the AI and add new visuals & sounds effects. New items, skills, and Achievements will also be introduced.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

The core aim of this game is to have a unique narrative approach at delivering a solo experience that feels like a well thought pen & paper RPG session with the game taking the role of a DM.

Players can already play 6 character professions up to rank 10, as well as access the first two big areas from the main continent, the kingdom of Sokara and the The Great Steppes of the North.

All of the game's core features are integrated: exploration, combat, items, sailing, active and passive skills, resurrection deals, blessings, potions, tutorials, ironman mode, everything is there.

Nevertheless, players will only have access to 2 books of the story (out of 7) for now, which represents an experience of 12 hours of content (per a successful playthrough once you know the game).

However, the gameplay loop is complete: Players can embark on an adventure, complete quests, defeat monsters, find loot, gain rank, improve their skills.

Despite our best efforts, the game probably still has some bugs. Also, skills, items and enemies most likely lack proper balancing.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

We expect to increase the price of the game when it comes out of Early Access.

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

Since our first demo, we've made it a point to listen to all the relevant feedback from our players, which has already helped Fabled Lands move in the right direction.

Players will be able to provide feedback on our Discord, or our Steam Community Page where we will strive to be both accessible and receptive.

c7b10a97650524479b740859877ad0ca8dfc6ba5.png

See you at launch!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/5426253036499410475

Mini-devlog Update #14
307230989e43ffe3a6e27a206484eff0ffcbe036.png

Folks, with only 5 days remaining until the release of the Early access, I am very proud to announce that the game surpassed 5000 wishlists!

Why this particular number is important? 2+ years ago I set this ambitious number in my design plan that we sat down to discuss with the authors Jamie and Dave. It shows the interest that this game sparked during its development, and it's an achievement of my own that I hope will result in a great indie release.

Yes, it really depends on those wishlists' quality! But it's considered the best conversion rate there is from your reach over your marketing campaign. Plus, I cherish each small step it takes me and the artist on the path to hopefully deliver a great game.

IMBA BUILDS!

e9f9dbe22d2e98303ccfef541b3904b08ccaddbb.png

ddba2815b10ae24d3ceeba51a95a61c0256630b1.png

This is my Troubadour from today! Just hit 6 new achievements on my playthrough and after hours and hours of play where I hardly read the text anymore I am still less than half-way through the current content.

62d414ad021af9637e7e858865fe4e91b81021c8.png

I diversified into Mage and Rogue spells with passive skills that I won't reveal to keep things fresh but they certainly boosted up my play big time to own lots of enemies. My skill checks went extremely well but required lots of planning! I do need to upgrade some of my items soon though as I have hit the higher level area!

Beta testing at its finest!

Closed beta wraps up this weekend. The people from the Discord community have done an amazing job, playing their hearts out to help me fix the issues that pop. And you know what? Patching the game
every single day
does make the difference.

One of the proudest moments for me was one of them unlocking all objectives, reaching the last one with Rank 10 Mage on
Ironman mode
!

Did I mention this game can be intimidating and there is no hand-holding PURE old-school way? Did I mention this is meant to be played on Ironman mode but requires deep knowledge of the game and strategizing on your way up? I KNOW! GIT GUD as Darksoul fans would say ;)

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/2957160781734168578
Mini-devlog Update #15
Nothing like a good ol' development post on a Saturday to mark the return of the series.
Slow coffee sip.
Time to shed some light on the upcoming content!

The world as we know it

So, how are we progressing with the game? Here's an overview of the areas of the world map targeted for the full release:

2f273da9b4d2a66ee01e26b5724f8f894e7add28.png

Green areas are currently in the Early Access. They are the equivalent of Books 1 and 4 from the gamebook series. The other two big areas left to be added (that will conclude the continent of Harkuna) are Golnir, covered by
The Cities of Gold and Glory
gamebook, and Uttaku, covered by
. So, twice as much content to what we have today! With every new area in the game, aside from new quests, events and locations, there is new loot to be found and sold, powerful magic to unlock, more enemies to slay (or get slain by, ahem, ahem), and some nifty convoluted discoveries for the explorers at heart. Did I use
nifty
again? Good thing I didn't write the series...

Now, I know there are fans out there of Book 3 which covers the Violet Ocean and the northern parts of the southernmost continent Ankon Konu. Alas, Book 3 will not be part of the initial release BUT some parts of it such as fan-favourite areas like the Sorcerers' Isle of Dweomer will make their debut earlier! More on that in a future update...

Time to talk about the Cities of Gold and Glory!

Back to the matter at hand, the next big content update for the Early Access will focus on Book 2. Although the area may seem smaller in size in comparison to the others, its density of events and nits and bits to discover is insane. Here's a sampled location order only for the southern parts of Golnir via land:

e2c875322284fd2fba52ca86d2fb29a0b5ae1b79.png

How would that look like in the game? We are working with the artist on that and are still in the rough but here's a sneak peek at some portion of it:

13132bb6c577bba2f2c9dd504070ebc79337ba00.png

You'll get the chance to pay a visit to the Baroness of Ravayne in her stronghold (or, you know, have a lovely stay in her dungeons for various reasons), meddle with the plots of the nobility, trade in the rich cities like Ringhorn and Metriciens, or even try your luck trading with the trau. Note that the trau do not accept
Shards
. You must use the odd onyx coins called
Mithrals
if you wish to do business with them.

Folks already familiar with the book will eventually notice that some balancing had been done to the area. No more grinding easy ranks or ultra-GG-OP weapons! Lots of loopholes being fixed as well. Still, places such as the Smithy of Molhern, the mythical forge of the god of Magic and Lore, remain as flavorable as they were, just not... too powerful.

All of this and more await you in the land of the knights!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/2951532620947221813

‘When I was alive, I kept my treasure safe in a tower built of adamantine stone,’ the corpse tells you. ‘The tower had an impregnable door that could only be unlocked by a key made of star metal. But my death-sleep has been troubled by disquieting dreams. What if a living man should find the key and plunder my hoard?’

5dde755f5ce45ad1fab05af70d5070fdecc4bf9f.png

dacd1af162ba19d681765ed1de7ae079525fcbfa.png

‘And what is it you want of me?’ you find yourself asking, your voice sounding hollow in the stillness of the crypt.

The corpse points past you, out to the south. ‘Go and find the
key of stars
. Bring it back to me. Then I shall permit you to take a reward.’ As you leave, you hear its parting words: ‘But take care not to return empty-handed, for then my vengeance would be swift and terrible.’

Ah, fresh areas filled with new quests and dangers...

What more could an adventurer want than to plunder one honest corpse's hoard I ask? Surely, you could solve the convoluted secret of the Dark Tower without suffering its many pitfalls... Speaking of that, new items are joining the action.

66471fc39b35e9b1b58a7781c84151febce7b1b6.png

Lucky charms are all over the patchworks of tranquil fields and meadows. Question is: will they bring good fortune to you? Riddles and fragments of the lore are spread across the lands of Golnir and only the careful adventurers may collect them all.

Or, you know, just capitalize on selling roofs at Metriciens. 'Cause a profit's a profit! Besides... why not?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/5242739793836415852

Mini-devlog Update #17
9b37f155854f6cd0d0ac676199580124d25caa18.png

Last week, just around the Saturday update, the game hit 20000 wishlists. I got so excited that I could barely wait for this week's post to share the news with you!

Thank you, you
amazing
people you!

Why does this matter so much? Well, for starters, this is no small number... For a tiny, nay a micro indie dev studio (because I read a lot of studios lately calling themselves "tiny", apparently, it's a trend of sorts) this is the bread & butter of my potential sales.

This is the effort of a single man on a so-called "zero budget" marketing campaign, spreading all the way back to when I started this whole endeavor with Prime Games. Also, justifies the route of the Early Access with Fabled Lands I struggled to decide if I want to take.

The quality of those wishlists would determine the conversion rate at the full release. But building up organic amounts over time on the Steam platform is the absolute best a self-publishing indie could hope for.

d8386895dcd8f712e1f500ee6629292874b2e4bd.png

Of course, those are not just some vague numbers on a piece of paper! (Eh, or in a table on a display.) New people keep reaching out on Discord or on the Steam forums. Fans of the books or new followers, excited by the old-school RPG feel or just captured when exploring the amazing world Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson built. Gamers who didn't know what to expect. Feels amazing and I want to appreciate all of you for hanging out and sharing the passion :)

I want to give a special shout-out and thank my amazing artist, Bernar, who has stuck long enough with me to help deliver Prime Games' biggest title to date, when his talent could be quickly absorbed by any bigger EU or US company. The vision he brings to the table definitely evokes people's imagination. But you know, that's what happens when you create bonds over several games of Magic the Gathering! Sigh... the good ol' days.

92413ff6064f6cab78bc7fa3212e1b3e61d17661.png

What can I say, folks, The Cities of Gold and Glory are shaping up nicely. A very peculiar area to explore and boost your characters before facing the Steppes and later on, the Uttakin. Forest of the Forsaken, The Haunted Hills, Castle Orlock... Can't wait to talk about the upcoming skills and spells too!

The roadmap I am aiming for this year is closed beta of Golnir in October and release of the next chapter around Halloween. Keeping my fingers crossed I deliver without unforeseeable delays!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/2939150188535976989

Mini-devlog Update #18
fb12cfb946dd2afb9588112d66fca22574bb9729.png

Flat waterlogged ground surrounds you in all directions. A few trees stretch forlornly into the sky above banks of reeds. These are the Magwort Fens.

In the middle of the fens there is an island hemmed in by bulrushes. On this island you find a chest decorated with intricate mother-of-pearl inlays. What will you do?

• Lift the lid and see what’s inside?
  • Or retrace the treacherous path through the mire?

September is upon us, and as the days grow shorter, the morning cold bites are stronger. I still enjoy the last warm rays of the sun during the day before autumn hits. And you know what they’re saying about winter… That’s right. Lockdown is coming.

We require more vespene gas

Either that or a good amount of coffee at the very least. The artist and I are working hard on the big content update for Golnir. I expect to hit beta at the very end of September. Followed by bug fixing and the release of the next major update sometime around Halloween. A big challenge would be to keep all existing saves intact so I would rely on the beta testers to help with that.

bf4fa3c9295d03c9c047e4315821aceef0126856.png

Golnir is a Rank 2 to 4 difficulty area with lots of little rewards to help an adventurer which ought to ease out the difficulty spike that currently hits you when you travel to the Great Steppes which is a rank 5+ area.

Currently I am preparing all combat encounters and the new skills spread across the land which you can obtain. Aside from new enemies you’ll face in raw combat, there’s a fair number of ability and choice encounters where you better have your wits about you.

See you next time!

You come across an old bogle laughing to himself. His body looks like a mossy old tree-stump and he has a mouth as wide as a sack of coal. When you ask why he’s laughing, he replies: ‘Because there you are gawping instead of running away, and now I’m about to up and eat you.’

The bogle picks you up and is about to pop you in his mouth. His breath makes an open drain smell as sweet as a bouquet of tulips, and his teeth look like jagged bits of flint. You had better think fast if you don’t want to end up being picked out of those teeth with a bit of matchwood.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/2855835579608900787

Mini-devlog Update #19
137022b0187fcfb8dc55b8052e7b59ef5a616a01.png

Hey, folks! Glad to catch you again with the dev-log updates on Fabled Lands. It's been a while since the last update. I preferred to crunch through some of the tasks piled up before sharing my progress. I am pleased to say that I am not that much behind schedule and am on track for the next content update's beta!

The Merchant Kingdom of Golnir

The
Cities of Gold and Glory
update coming this fall is an important milestone for the Early Access as it smooths some rough edges.

Currently, although slightly rebalanced, there is a big
power spike
for players leaving the kingdom of Sokara, torn between the fractions of the new regime and the royalists, and travelling to the cold North where creatures of myth and legend dwell and the divine often interferes with the lives of mortals. It's there where the nomad tribes of the Great Steppes gather, ready to rip off your skin, but actually seem like a bunch of good fellows in comparison to the creatures that seemingly evade Death itself...

Part 1: Weaponry

With the addition of the second big area, players get access to better economy and room for fluent progression of their characters and more options to increase their power level.

For example, I was finally able to introduce a new tier of weapons.

eef8010fab6460f0858c7b334f214b8106e11237.png

Those are the uncommon weapons with higher combat profiency. While the common weapons get a slight nerf in terms of removing their combat bonus (lowering their chance to hit and their performance on ability checks), all the rare weapons and up get a proper upscale, making them a significant reward when they drop. Uncommon weapons will be an option at various markets for a higher price. So the players earn more money and have more options to spend the money.

300309c517b86cf219f783d51b82282ae3fb312c.png

Weapons will have their chance to shine too with some additional diversification over the course of each major update. For example, the
Net
(which can be purchased from markets but a certain Ogre can drop it alongside its Meat Cleaver too ;)) would possibly find some interesting play. Or the infamous
White Sword
, which you can never lose; it cannot be stolen from you or lost. Even if you die and are resurrected elsewhere, the sword will still be with you.

I have prepared an update to a special event from the books: seeking the most
epic shield
in the game so far, and only the most dedicated explorers will be able to crack the secret of where to find it and how to obtain. Worthy of its own little achievement.

Part 2: Economy

Aside from more ports to buy and sell cargo to as well as numerous little or big new markets for items, there is an addition of new currency called Mithrals.

70036f759a2b2b9465c7a85eb4760a07011d36f8.png

The odd ony coins give you the benefit to trade with the trau, the faery folk of the underworld, giving you access to some pretty sweet loot! However, how to obtain these coins and where to find the trau I will leave for you to discover on your own. Be careful though! Trading with the creatures of the Underworld might lead to unforseable demise if you don't know your way around. Be sure to open your ears and to listen for rumours on the open roads of Golnir.

And, ahem, be careful whose
severed head
you carry around with you, or the militia might throw you in the dungeons quicker than you can say Jack Robinson. Woah, how fast was that?

Part 3...

Welp, this part and the next one I'll discuss in the next update! Stay tuned and don't forget to
stay awhile and listen
!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmmm can't remember where i have seen those weapon/armour icons. They are from another game,100% sure,but can't remember which.

I remembered,tower of time is the game.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Mini-devlog Update #20
Forest of the Forsaken

4aa47051805cfdc31cfc25194ecc61965ca78593.png

You learn that the Tower of Despair, which is commonly thought to stand on the edge of the Endless Plains, is in fact in this very forest. ‘It contains the treasure of an undead knight,’ says Knocklar. ‘He pledged half of what he had to gain eternal life, and the other half he locked in that tower.’

‘A considerable sum, presumably.’

‘Enough to make every king despair, and every merchant weep with greed! But forget about stealing it. The only way to open the tower is with the key of stars, which is in the hands of the Trau King of the Whistling Heath.’

Knocklar has no more time for gossip. He has to be getting on with his chores.

6f7356c71c5ca2a76d01f5cba19d84c93260f356.png

Far to the north in the merchant kingdom of Golnir, lies the Forest of the Forsaken, a dark and forbidding place. Even in broad daylight, shadows cluster like a mass of cobwebs under the gnarled boughs.

What is so special about this place, you say?

It is a location that contains many surprises and it's a mini-game area of its own. However, instead of navigating through it on the world map, you do this via choices within the story, only through what your character's sense can experience. To help find your way around it, you must find a
treasure map
!

The
treasure map
is an item that can be accessed from within your Inventory to view the locations on the Forest of the Forsaken. Don't worry, if you lose it, you can always obtain it again, but better tuck away that beauty in your House Stash.

b73d510522743716aa9af3f485a6a3270be4e10f.png

Some of its most guarded secrets lie only if you stray from its paths, but will you dare to do it? Better ready those resurrection deals...

Heavy dev undergoing, folks! Soon to announce closed beta and the artist is preparing a new wallpaper to blow you away. Stay tuned for the next update!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/2986441370375131653

Mini-devlog Update #21
a3d7a8e8a4e378040ada655c56e552bf9aa6b1bf.png

Hey, folks! Before I sit down to enjoy the end of a productive week with some coffee and a little afternoon snack, I want to bring you the next
Cities of Gold and Glory update! Let's pick up from where we left off. Last time with the Mini-Devlog Update #19 we talked about economy and weaponry. Now it's time for...

Part 3: Skills & Spells

Sometimes ability rolls are just not enough to avoid conflict, or a character is just better prepared and built up for raw display of power. Then we enter the tactical hex-grid combat.

With the addition of more and more game areas, new options unlock and new possibilities for me to add and expand upon the current system in place. Let's show some of the new active skills in action!

b149bfe884e621221a0f4a42145fb1238db4c308.gif

I always wanted to make a Whirlwind Warrior and I am super happy I finally had the chance. It's a cheap spell to use in terms of Action Points to allow better positioning. Now combine this with the Brawler passive and a fine weaponry's exquisite damage boost and you have some devastating area of effect damage burst.

02581f2d6c9613ec66344e74c327e90e190f23bc.gif

The Priest is joined by the dead. Both the gods Tyrnai and Nagil have the power to resurrect the dead and characters with high Sanctity can make the best out of this by summoning a skeleton warrior to aid them in battle. This will give the chance to Priests to kite more effectively if they are in a dangerous spot.

ad2a0c058ae935a7b3a77f1fba5e3fb3af295f38.gif

The Troubadours' ability in the art of music and knowledge of fine musical instruments can go both directions, with either chants that boost the morale of both them and their allies or with shrieking thunderous sounds that can hurt their enemies and daze them.

e33c3fd07f4f45ee69f9af44e71d222676173b26.gif

Finally, Mages can continue to bombard their enemies from afar
even more
. With another elemental damage added to their arsenal, they can hurl a molten hot fireball from the skies to burn their enemies. The spell, however, has a positional penalty and can only be cast from a minimum range of 4 to a maximum range of 5 cells. Still, lightning strike and meteor strike you foes like a boss.

In Conclusion

I will keep Rogues' and Wayfarers' newest additions in the repertoire a secret for now. Keep in mind that
all those
active spells and skills are accessible for learning by
any profession
if your character can meet the requirements. That way I leave to you to figure out powerful combinations based on how you choose to build your character.

These are the next tier of active spells and skills that one can acquire from the merchant cities in Golnir (for a beefy price of course).

The Discord discussions in the last days had some additional info revealed. I do plan to make enemies a bit tougher, especially in groups by introducing Flanking and status affects that some of the more unique ones can apply to you.

So, prepare to up your wits, get poisoned, burned, and chilled to the bones, but survive and prevail!

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
so you are saying that my red head bard will be able to throw some lube around?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/4553697086506059722

1c36e66b347e15e4a28ce8e864b9ccf87e68bc7e.png

Fabled Lands - The Cities of Gold and Glory content update is out now!

I am very happy to deliver the first major milestone of the Early Access roadmap, the Merchant Kingdom of Golnir. I am so thankful for all the positive emotion and wonderful words that people have said. It's a feat on its own to release a game solo in today's market but to be so positively received by folks from around the globe is a blast! Watching people play on Twitch and YouTube, seeing their reaction, reading all the wonderful reviews is simply amazing. People hopping on the Discord server just to say "Thank you, I am a fan" puts a big smile on my face.

The Early Access gathered 23 000 wishlists and has an 88% Very Positive score from 127 reviews. A HUGE THANK YOU! Of course, kudos to the wonderful British authors Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson for their amazing work. Now, onto the new goodies:

New area on the world map is unlocked!

d25580a6bd53ec22dd98ea734e4665ff0f2b1d7e.png

Incremented version to 0.16.1
---
  • Added the Merchant Kingdom of Golnir content update (44 000 words).
  • Added 6 new Quests.
  • Added 13 new Achievements.
  • Added 20 new Encounters.
  • Added 17 new Enemies.
  • Added 67 new Items.
Skills
  • Added Whirlwind.
  • Added Meteor Strike.
  • Added Sonic Boom.
  • Added Slippery Oil.
  • Added Hunting Trap.
  • Added Resilient Companion passive.
  • Added Bad Medicine passive.
  • Reworked Poisonous Vial skill and Poisoned status.

Poisoned now deals X stacks of damage at the beginning of each turn and loses 1 Poisoned stack.
    Poisonous Vial now poisons one non-adjacent target for the next 3 turns (applying 3 Poisoned stacks).
    Poisonous Vial has reduced Action Points cost of 2, Reduced Cooldown to 2 turns, Reduced Duration to 3 turns, and set Numbers of Uses to 4.
Economy & Weaponry
  • Added new Ports.
  • Added new Markets.
  • Added new currency: Mithrals (aside from Shards).
  • Added new Weapons.
  • Added a new tier of uncommon weapons to various markets.
  • Increased the power level of rare and legendary weapons.
  • Rebalanced various items.
  • Added a Treasure map in Yellowport's market.
Fixes and improvements
  • Optimized memory management. Reduced initial loading time for combat scene significantly.
  • Reworked the reward to profession specific tasks or quests in The Great Steppes to give +1 of an ability OR +1 rank based on the profession (unified with how Sokara works). WARNING: PRE-EXISTING CHARACTERS OF HIGHER RANK CAN FEEL OVERPOWERED
  • Updated Top Gear Achievement to address new items added.
  • Updated the Great Steppes to utilize candles.
  • Updated The Golden Ones' Bazaar with new items.
  • Updated various means of teleportation locations with Golnir locations.
  • Updated several item icons.
  • Renamed Staircase location to Stairway.
  • Swapped Militia events between Isle of Druids northern coast and Golnir coastline.
  • Input fields in modal windows are now on focus when active.
  • Quests: Quest descriptions now update for quests that have multiple objectives.
  • Quests: Quest Location Tab state is now remembered (opened/closed).
  • Quests: Implemented multiple quest markers on the mini map for quests with multiple objectives.
  • Added money cap to avoid negative money and make sure money fits everywhere it is displayed.
  • Fixed a critical bug causing the story to end when loading a game save from within the Story scene.
  • Fixed Yarimura meta text leftover.
  • Fixed Sword of the Shadar power levels issue.
  • Fixed Coastal Shadar Tor event causing the player's figure to pop outside of the map.
  • Fixed renouncing faith in a god, it now removes accordingly any resurrection arrangements from the same god within another temple.
  • Fixed mini map animation getting clunky and out of bounds when spamming shortcut keys.
  • Fixed several typos.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/3097912220598606430

Happy 2022 from Prime Games, everybody!

Wishing you loads of health and happiness in the new year. Hopefully, time for more gaming and hobbies!

I always make sure that I get enough time spent with family and friends, creative work, and hobbies and that forms the trifecta of my wellbeing. Especially hard in recent years, I know. I got Covid back in November, and unfortunately my wife and the baby got sick too. Three hard weeks later we recovered, and I even succeeded in patching the game mid-December. After that it felt as if I had to take some time off from being sick... I needed to recharge the batteries big time.
ebc37f3f23f09d1036906f46fb9d667e279a3d9f.png

I personally dug deep into ‘hobby world’. I completed some of the gamebooks that were waiting patiently on my shelf. Still not enough though… I never seem to beat the ratio of obtained new stuff to finished/played things. I read some books too. Re-read several Sherlock mysteries including The Hound of Baskervilles and A Night in the Lonesome October by Zelazny. Managed to sneak in some comic books as well! Spiderman Blue that I received as a Christmas gift and You are Deadpool, the latter being an interactive gamebook-like comic! Even got my hands on a Nintendo Switch and enjoyed some quality Mario time.

Enough sentimental gibberish though! I am very glad to kick off this year with…

0afdb8fc02791819d310668a8ead86b4cbfcf6d1.png

A Roadmap Update

2022 is the Year (with capital Y) for Fabled Lands, folks! The release of the full game is nigh. Aiming for the first half of it as I don’t want to go beyond one year of Early Access. That's the plan at least.

Story

The biggest area of the Harkuna continent (covered by book 5 in the series) is coming. At the Court of Hidden Faces, no one is who they seem. The sinister lords of the Uttakin go masked to hide their treachery. The secret police of the god Ebron kill those who flout their fanatical codes. In this tyrannical realm of betrayal and assassination, life is cheap. But rich rewards await the adventurer courageous enough to penetrate this hostile land.

Will you uncover the secrets of the High King’s citadel, where no mortal has trod for ten generations? Or wrest the holy sword from the crypt of Kizil Irmak, the Harbinger of War? Or find the key that unlocks the greatest secret of all – the means to open the gate of Time and travel back into the past?

Also… who doesn’t want to have their own castle? With knights, a smithy, temples, and their own magus? ;)

Of course, the new area comes with new enemies, new interesting items and quests.

Customization added to Character Creation

A heavily requested feature from the community the artist and I are going to invest in. Character customization both visually (themes and colors) as well as starting abilities, items, and skills. Bring that special RPG feel from session 0!

Combat

I want to continue my iterations on the combat system. Enhancing the enemy AI to utilize special skills and apply de-buffs such as stun or poison would be huge for adding both flavor and challenge to those mini boss-like combats. Especially for the uniqueness of the enemies in Uttaku. Anyone out there geared enough to handle a huge Toad Demon, eh?

cdf63c8e9062dacf452001f95c322e8d90c345e2.png

But improving the overall usability of the Combat screen is also a priority. I still observe players who struggle initially with figuring out what the cost per every different action is. For example, adding Action Points calculations directly besides the pointer when hovering on things would help (toggle on/off from the options of course). Also, minor things such as highlighting the portrait of a unit in the turn order lane to easily figure out which enemy’s turn is next in the queue when facing multiple enemies of the same type.

Economy

I want to improve on the existing marketplaces by adding trading goods in Golnir similar to how cargo works in harbors. Something like that was introduced exactly in book five with the Ice obtained from the Ice Mine in the north changing its market value as a direct consequence of your actions in the world.

Also, I still have on my list to create a dedicated UI for all Merchant Guilds instead of the choice book view it now has.

Rebalance

I gather more and more insight from players over the course of the Early Access which helps immensely and gives me great ideas how to tackle some issues. I.e. I still need to focus on that starting area and the initial playing experience.

UI and Other Improvements

Other things requested by the community include a Personal Notes dialogue, auto-succeed ability rolls that have 100% chance of success, more keyboard shortcuts, buying whole stacks of arrows, quick save/quick load.

Once I am done with the skill system, both active and passive, the Skills & Spells dialogue is to be reworked as well. Some expressed their desire for skill slots, so we’ll see!

Last but not least is the sugar and salt of any game, that is, more sound and visual effects.

But what do we say to our plans? Not today!

If something is not listed here it doesn't mean I am not going to work on it. There were specifics discussed in the forums or the Discord community that are quite interesting and possible. Some might appear early on; some might be worked on after the release. Nothing is final or concrete yet aside from my gratitude to all who choose to support the project, give feedback, or just enjoy fun hours with the game as is!

Thank you and don't forget to wishlist the game if you haven't! :)

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/3092285258419557381

Another weekend and another update on how the development progresses! Currently in the game, the Skills & Spells dialogue is pretty much a placeholder I made back in the day when there were no spells in the game. It served its purpose but it was time to re-do it.

The Old Design

cc6c4ec50f795cb6149cc2ea0a7f8d97937e5ed7.png

First things first, it didn't convey much information besides some spells or skills that the character currently possesses. Why do you have a forget button? Can you learn more spells? If so, how much more? Those were some of the initial questions players had upon opening the spell 'book' that the tutorial arrow led them to.

Next, it didn't serve a good purpose for characters of higher rank either. By that time players would have figured out that you can have 7 slots for a total of 4 active spells and 3 passive spells. The only interaction with that window, however, would be if you want to learn a new spell after you have filled all of your slots. This required you to lose any knowledge of one of your already known spells or skills, and if you wanted to use it again, you had to reacquire the skill book and learn it from scratch.

The reason I made it like that back then, was forcing the players to spend currency for expensive skill books or skill scrolls at the later stages of the game in order to spend their piled up fortunes of Shards. How did that work, you say? Not as fun as planned.

The community suggested that it would be nice, especially for completionists, to be able to collect all the spells & skills in the game. You know, do the obvious and give players more freedoms rather than restrictions. Plus, what type of a 'book' UI is that anyway?

So, lights out, enter stage left... The New Deisgn.

f30f212cbe122166fcbe1b28fc7d8e700b087a5f.png

You can now learn and store all the spells in your spell book! IF you meet the requirements that is! You still have to safe keep and store your precious skill books until you find a way to increase your abilities and understand how to learn and use what's inside.

On the left-hand side are the ones you learn while on the right-hand side are the memorized ones which you can use in combat.

But once you learn it, it's there, even if you suffer a curse or a temporal loss of an ability.

338e82feaa3a8c790e8186565026729fb8b0a44c.png

With the new direction I believe it solves the two outlined issues above.

My aim was to convey to the players that they can find and learn more spells than what they have and how much extra space they can fill. Also, hint that a character can learn skills from other professions too!

And, aside from the neat looks, it gives the best option so far, experiment with different combos! You can quickly switch your memorized active and passive skills to try out different combinations instantly.

Exit stage left

As I observe Snagglepuss leaving the scene, I feel more confident with the presented UI and improved UX. The next part of the spells rework I am planning to is:

1) Add at least one more active skill per profession and an additional passive which will take me to 32 skills in total. I think this is a good number of variations for the initial content on the mainland of Harkuna, preparing the players for the higher stakes across the oceans.

2) Rebalance the skill progression, give access to new skill books via quest rewards for profession specific quests, etc. For instance Slippery Oil is so much fun and I want to give access to it to players the sooner, the better! Essentially it means more options and choices during the tactical combat which is more fun in my book.

As always, do wishlist the game if you haven't yet!

See you next time.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/4498534970339800468

Mini-devlog Update #24
a24c21d45d84ca4585113c6f412c164998872997.png

A lesser known fact, even from fans of the books, is that you can get your very own castle in the Fabled Lands!

It's one of those moments I cherish and consider it as one of the small beauties of the series. Why? Well, your character starts as a nobody, washed up on the shore of an unknown land. You get your ass beaten at every corner in a foreign, hostile kingdom which you can explore freely. Caution is advised as would be in a real world scenario. And if you survive long enough, complete some quests and secure your flow of resurrection deals with the divine, you begin to amass your own fortune. There may be days when your actions will affect the kingdoms and their political intrigues. Or, you know, just live a simple life of fishing and gardening. It's up to you!

What better way to prepare against brigands, assassins and mercenaries than to have your own base where you can train knights and prepare your defences...
defences...

d9eabf6750b5bf47586a663c465da983c32cb080.png

A certain wizard which you may or may not find is responsible for turning an old ruined castle into a magnificant fort that could soon draw a garirison of followers. Freeing that wizard involves beating one of the hardest combats in the game (unless you find a way around it as always!).

The chain of events leading to this moment I'll leave a secret for you to discover but it starts as a rumour in Sokara, leads you all the way through The Great Steppes and the land of the Uttakin!

6a24bf13bb7cfc915854ea51dd988c5b4285b762.png

What's so cool about having a castle? It becomes a central hub for you to rest, heal and rebuild. Where you have
your own personal mage who can unlock one of the hardest quests in the game. Once news of the miracle spreads, various folk and men-at-arms would surely come from far and wide, and hearing the tales of your renown would pledge to serve you at your castle. Thus you'll be able to use the divine services of
your own chapel or buy materials for your local blacksmith to forge weapons

But having a wizard in your court would be rather dull if he couldn't help you in the arcane arts? Right? That's why, aside from removing curses and such, he can
enchant you a weapon or an armour
! Of course, there is the risk of destroying your item but who doesn't want that magic bonus? Another neat trick he teaches you is the
Recall Spell which can save your skin in case of certain death.

4e0aa0a312d5b64ae59c04ab94b892228ec9a2dc.png

Last but not least, having a new ruler appear all of a sudden near the borders of any kingdom 'smells trouble'. That's why you have to prepare your castle's defences if you are to withstand the pillaging of mercenaries.

That's one of the main differences between the books and the game. To improve your chances, you can reinforce the wall, the main gate, fortify the guard towers or enlarge your moat. You can also gather your knights for weapons practice and improve their fighting ability. Then you can rally your knights and men-at-arms to drive off any varlets who are trying to take the castle. But any battle is dangerous and could go south and it really depends how much you are inclined to invest in keeping what is yours.

Welp, that's it for this week, folks! See you around next time and do wishlist the game if you haven't yet! You don't want to miss the party ;)

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/3172230492727034452

Mini-devlog Update #27
A southerly breeze stirs the sails. Standing at the rail with head tilted back, you bask in the warm sunshine. Is it your imagination, or can you really detect the scent of exotic spices and swaying palm trees carried on the wind?

You notice a bottle drifting buy. It contains a
map of Bazalek
, which is a small isle in the waters near Disaster Bay. Make of it what you will...

6d392afe7d6c0d46664e1b1ee87946dc698bdd52.png

Ah, who doesn't love a good old puzzle! Well, I know some won't. Personally I would enjoy if the game made me scratch my head a bit to obtain key information that could prove handy later on.

Back in the early days of the Early Access I received several mixed emotions regarding Bazalek Isle. It's a challenging place to be and players could face grave perils or survive and get fantastic loot. Many a resurrection deals have expired on that isle, that's for sure. Few know though that they could actually find a map with all the missing pieces filling their blind spots of information or should I say lack of.

When developing Golnir I implemented the first treasure map, that of the Forest of the Forsaken. Now when working on Uttaku and Old Harkuna I am adding more! Such as that godforsaken (
May Ebron with his fourteen angles forgive my heresy...
) book called the Black Diptych I found when I drove a stake through not one but three vampires' black hearts. Should come in handy I am sure of it...

53e30525a08ee15ccb4fc668ba3a4342639ecadc.png

Definitely glad I've shared all of that before I venture forth. Don't forget to wishlist the game before you join in!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/3177860631504431146

Release Plan and Pricing Changes
2dfac00674b7b0782c4195682e90a9920097d9f0.png

Target release in May!

Folks, the time for the release of Prime Games' biggest title to date is nigh!
Fabled Lands
debuted in Early Access on May 21st last year, and in May 2022, it's going to transition into a full release with the biggest content update so far!

6500 players
from around the globe have supported the EA, helping me fulfil and live the indie dream! Their early support made it a blast to work and update the game.
THANK YOU!

more have wishlisted the game and I hope to convey to them the awesome adventure that the Fabled Lands are and help them make the leap when the time is right.

Pricing

In preparation for the release, it's time to increase the base pricing of the game as stated in the Early Access manifesto on the store page:

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“We expect to increase the price of the game by an undetermined amount when it comes out of Early Access.”
Thus starting from next week (11th of April) the price of the EA will be increased from 14.99USD/12.49EUR/11.39GBP to
18.99USD/15.99EUR/14.49GBP
. The increase must happen atleast 28 days prior to the release according to the latest Steam policy, so this will give you a rough estimate on when that will be.

What you get?

The Early Access began with the release of 2 chapters (
The War-Torn Kingdom
and
The Plains of Howling Darkness
). Over the course of the development there were
18 patches
with
250 patch notes
methodically updated in the Change Log thread on the forums (https://steamcommunity.com/app/1299620/discussions/0/3104647961278908710/). I have always aimed for a stable and bug-free Early Access on every step of the way.

The third chapter,
The Cities of Gold and Glory
, was added for free as a content update back in November, 2021. The next chapter,
, will go live simultaniously with the official release of the game, thus concluding the main continent in the Fabled Lands, Harkuna, and all coastal waters around it. It will be a free update for all who have supported the Early Access up to this point.

Gameplay timewise, the content for a single hero playthrough completing most things will be between
20 to 36 hours
. But being an
open world
game, trying out different professions, having lots of hidden secrets, time can easily jump up. Add
Ironman mode
on top of that for a full spectrum of challenge and emotions!

Work will not stop with the release! Absolutely not! Next in line are 2 more chapters,
Over the Blood-Dark Sea
and
Lords of the Rising Sun
, that will come out as DLCs, expanding the world with the oceans, sea voyages and the first far off land. Aside from that there are so many things and ideas that me and the artist want to implement. I am very eager alongside the authors, Jamie Thomson and Dave Morris, to grow this beyond the first 6 books but to do so I'll need your help to make this a successful endeavor!

Thank you!

86247028ae7f7ea40de4fd128e1952566e1aec78.png

I am really proud how the game turned out and of the path I took. At least I know I have a little fan who will discover the amazing world of reading and gamebooks soon enough ;)

#WhatAGameDevLooksLike

As always, don't forget to wishlist the game while you're at it!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/3173358295346758597

"I, Aku, the Shapeshifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil. But a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me."

Wait... Wait! Wrong reference. While I adore the cult classic
Samurai Jack
and I think of it everytime I sit down to work on the game, before that, Aku was named the capital city of Uttaku. Who? What? Let me tell you more about them.

At the Court of Hidden Faces, no one is who they seem. The sinister lords of the Uttakin go masked to hide their treachery. The secret police of the god Ebron kill those who flout their fanatical codes. In this tyrannical realm of betrayal and assassination, life is cheap. But rich rewards await the adventurer courageous enough to penetrate this hostile land.

Will you uncover the secrets of the High King’s citadel, where no mortal has trod for ten generations? Or wrest the holy sword from the crypt of Kizil Irmak, the Harbinger of War? Or find the key that unlocks the greatest secret of all – the means to open the gate of Time and travel back into the past?

The land of Uttaku

Hundreds of years ago, the Uttakin were a tribe inhabiting the Blue Grasslands and the Desert of Bones of Ankon-Konu. They united under the banner of Ebron and their first king, Ammunas the Baptizer. The Uttakin struggled with another tribe, the Golden Men, for dominance. The Uttakin began to get the upper hand, until the Golden Men started using flying chariots, known as arkships. How they came to use these ships is unclear – all you know is that the arkships were powered by the magical
selenium ore
. The Uttakin were defeated and driven out of Ankon-Konu. They sailed across the Violet Ocean, and invaded Harkuna, where they overthrew the people there, and re-established their ancient kingdom, renaming the land Uttaku.

From a distance the towers of Aku seem to hover in the air like a city in a mirage. Gardens of riotous foliage cascade like green waterfalls from the elegant pinnacles and domes. Windows of brightly stained glass glint and sparkle in the white sea-cast sunlight. Choir music drifts languidly from the highest minarets. Men and women in gorgeous silk robes glide decorously along the raised esplanades and balconies. For the masked nobles of Aku, life is one long round of banquets and masked balls.

Not so for the poor. The city is built right across the top of a narrow river canyon hundreds of feet high. The rich live in the city proper, the better-off merchants have mansions on the upper ledges of the canyon walls, and the slums of the poor cluster far down below. There they must endure the daily shower of sewage and refuse from above but, even so, many covet the sites directly under the city. This is because the nobles sometimes toss scraps of meat or half-eaten fruits from the balconies, or even whimsically drop coins off the marble balustrades; a desperate man can always dream of a windfall from on high.

484b78804f7f50103012d00bf8afa9cc05142d88.png

On your way through Uttaku, make sure to stop by at the Hall of Heroes. Nice place, good drinks, or so I've heard...

Ever wanted to become a noble?

Aku
isn't like anything you have seen
in your adventures in Harkuna so far. There are loads of quests to do and a lot of ways to get rich. Not only that, but you can try and play the political games of the Court of the Hidden Faces, gain enough renown and enter the ranks of the nobles of Uttaku yourself!

Who says getting captured is the end?

However, there are even more ways to find yourself thrown in the dungeons, sold to the slave pits, or sentenced to death... in the gardens. Those are no ordinary gardens, I can tell you that!

But you know what? Who says this needs to be the end of your adventuring career? Remember how in 1982's
Conan the Barbarian
, little boy Conan was enslaved and chained to work a large mill, the Wheel of Pain. Surviving into adulthood, becoming a massive, muscular man. With the entirety of the movie ahead of him?

That's right, you unlock a whole new adventure potential if you survive long enough! Such as stealing a flying carpet and escaping or becoming a gladiator. Gaining valuable experience teaches you much to be a better mage or warrior, for example, altering your abilities in the process.

The release of the full game is getting closer and closer! With only one month left, be sure to wishlist the game so that you don't miss it:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/3173359579470061216

Mini-devlog Update #29
02fc43ad7443415e9e82698f23ef0e45f6f84c45.png

Hey, hey, everybody, it's time for the latest addition of the Mini-Devlog Update! It's been a hell of a ride but the final content update for the release I've been working on for the past 5 months is finally shaping up well and I am entering the Squash phase... bug squashing that is. I will be announcing the closed community beta any day now, so stay tuned and join Prime Games' Discord[discord.gg] server if you want to take part in it!

Now, back to the main topic at hand for this update, which is...

Skills & Spells

Sometimes ability rolls are just not enough to avoid conflict, or a character is just better prepared and built up for raw display of power. Then we enter the tactical hex-grid combat.

With the addition of more and more game areas, new options unlock and new possibilities for me to add and expand upon the current system in place. Let's show some of the new active skills in action!

bab94ca2b2e46f020ba6a9113b97ce4de4189f00.gif

The Mage was in desperate need of a friend on the battlefield, hence they finally get one, the Water Spirit. However, other spells such as Animal Companion or Raise the Fallen already offer a meat shield for the spellcasters (which want one), but a ranged glass cannon is always a great option to have!

60527284fd3f87c37ac4d02825f7a4a50d7733e5.gif

Back in May last year we were discussing extensively with fresh community members the Warrior and how to make their fighting style more interesting. These fighters engage in close combat more often than any other profession and can easily find themselves surrounded at the heat of battle. While they can go for a repositioning spell, a nice option is also to strike fear in the hearts of their enemies and make them flee. Of course, not before hitting that Whirlwind goodness.

130f844199694653709a8f325d482c9d15b3a282.gif

Finally, I am showcasing the newest Priest spell, which is a way to chain heal all allies on the battlefield. A cheap Stamina gain for a quick 1AP action to get you out of a bad situation.

I am leaving the rest of the new skill additions to your heroes to discover!

Ranks

With the Skill system being in a solid state, it was time to think of a better way to incorporate it within the gameplay and promote more skill play to players who haven't discovered where to get those goodies.

I really enjoy those moments when hitting a new level in a D&D session that increase my stats and give me access to new abilities. You feel how your character has grown not only story wise (via their experience built up during the campaign) but also by altering their capabilities gameplay wise.

I wanted to incorporate that feeling, so instead of the previous going up in rank system with fixed amount of stamina and defence increases, there is now a choice.

e971d0cffd0e6e698ac2e006ba5d59d6dff26f08.png

On odd ranks, you get your Defence increased as well as a choice to increase one of your abilities (SCOUTING, CHARISMA, THIEVERY, etc).

On even ranks, you get a fixed Stamina increase and a limited selection of 3 skills and spells (both active and passive ones) from which you can choose one.

Don't worry, you can still go, explore and seek all the skills, even the ones you've missed, buy them if you have enough Shards on you and learn them!

It echoes exactly what I want to do, emphasize on choices, the game's main mechanic, and give players more options to build and differentiate their characters. Which are going to be less dependent on piling up defence and stamina for the late game but rather fight their way with tactical decision making.

In conclusion

Big content update coming, closed-beta and release of the full game at the end of the month!

Wishlist now and see you at the finish line!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/3177864441042264012

FABLED LANDS IS LEAVING EARLY ACCESS MAY 26!
3408b87a1ff70dd8511ab7451fb9646b7992ec4d.png

I'm incredibly excited to announce that Fabled Lands will be leaving Early Access on May 26th, 2022!

It’s taken 3 years to get to this point, with 1 of those years in Early Access. Players who’ve been exploring their way through the Steam Early Access version of Fabled Lands will automatically gain access to the full game. The game will release simultaneously on Windows and MacOS.

Not only that, but the base game launches with a BIG content update, chapter 5, The Court of Hidden Faces, bringing new quests, achievements, encounters, enemies, items and more! It is a huge balance update so fresh heroes are recommended, although older saves will continue to function.

The game’s final release wouldn’t have been possible without the incredible contributions of our dedicated Early Access community. We’ve put our hearts into this adventure and it’s been awesome getting so much support from players throughout this last critical year of development. We’ve made many changes during Fabled Land's journey in Early Access, and done our best to meaningfully integrate players’ feedback and requests as we march toward the version 1.0 launch.

I can’t wait to welcome you all to the epic adventures of the world of Fabled Lands next week! See you at the launch party!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1299620/view/3307343554360354815

Fabled lands is OUT NOW!

The players gather around the table. Even as the Coke cans fizz and the bag of tortilla chips is being popped open, somebody looks at the map and says, ‘I hear there’s an abandoned fortress out on the tidal flats.’

The referee consults the rulebooks. ‘Many claim it’s the stronghold of the legendary hero Hrugga – though that’s surely just a myth.’

Plans are made. Ships bought and outfitted. One of the players has the sea captain skill, and he plots a course. Another considers the supplies the party will need. Soon they’re ready to set out on a new expedition. And all because one of the players happened to spot the symbol for ruins in a corner of the map.

This quote from maestro Dave Morris sums up the quintessential of what pen'n'paper RPGs feel like to me. A feeling that ignited the spark to do what I do. The same feeling when I introduced gamebooks, and later D&D, for the first time to my friends many years ago. The same feeling when I started Prime Games. And, oh boy, what a journey it has been to get to this moment! With the help of the very talented artist Bernar Aganchyan, it took us three years to release our most ambitious title to date. A tribute to old-school pen & paper RPGs and the era of solo adventures. What I hope to achieve with this title, is to reignite that same spark for any of you who decides to step into the world of Fabled Lands!

It's been an extremely productive Early Access. We have more than doubled the content of the game over the course of one year, overhauled the game balance, and improved the overall experience in many ways. I've tried my best to listen closely to the community's concerns and feedback, made sure your advice found its way in the game (or is going to!). A huge THANK YOU to all our supporters - Early Access players, beta testers and the indie game dev community as a whole. I wouldn't be writing this today without your help.

Lastly, I want to thank gamebook legends Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson for creating this fabolous world back in 1996-97 and putting their faith in me bringing it to you, 25 years later! I am amazed what pioneers they were creating a full blown open world RPG with the limitations of paper gamebooks!
WHAT'S NEW

Incremented version to 1.0.0
---
  • Added the Court of Hidden Faces content update (60 000 words).

• Added 11 new Quests.
  • Added 17 new Achievements.
  • Added 20 new Encounters.
  • Added 18 new Enemies.
  • Added 46 new Items.

Skills
  • Added Shout.
  • Added Water Spirit.
  • Added Adrenaline Burst.
  • Added Everyone's a Critic.
  • Added Eagle Eye.
  • Added Invigoration.
  • Buffed Meteor Strike.
    Increased damage from 50% to 100% max weapon damage.

• Updated Hot Pursuit passive skill.
    Shadow Dash is no longer a signature spell. Added Lightning Strike as a signature spell.

Economy & Weaponry
  • Added new Ports.
  • Added new Markets.
  • Added new Weapons.
  • Added new ways to obtain cargo and ships via the story.
  • Added more items to markets in Golnir to improve variety and ways for profit.
  • Added a way to obtain a Castle.
  • Added Enchant Item.

Balance

• WARNING: PRE-EXISTING CHARACTERS WILL FEEL OVERPOWERED

• Reworked how defence is calculated. Rank is no longer part of the calculation of the defence stats (nerf).
  • Rebalanced Ranks.
    Implemented alterating stat gain (2 Stamina on even ranks, 1 defence on odd ranks).

Implemented Ability increase on odd ranks.

Implemented Skill choice on even ranks.

Rank cap is 10th rank (for new characters); changed several rank up events to be ability increases instead.

• Rebalanced various items.
  • Rebalanced various encounters.
  • Added active skills to enemies in several encounters (such as Stunning Hit to Kaschuf the Deathless).

Visual effects and User Experience
  • Added
    Court of the Hidden Faces
    OST.
  • Added
    Cities of Gold and Glory
    OST.
  • Added new ambient sound effects to various map locations.
  • Added environmental visual effects and animations (clouds, wind, rain, blizzard, ambient light).
  • Added new combat visual effects (idle animation, critical strike camera shake, etc).
  • Added new FAQ section to Extras.
  • Quest Toggle tabs on/off behaviour is now preserved with each individual save file rather than a single global setting.
  • Implemented visuals of map locations to change when your character alters the world.
  • Implemented buying whole stacks of ammunition in markets.

Fixes and improvements
  • Added Spy quest to Baroness now that Uttaku is added.
  • Added missing sections from The Great Steppes (Book 4), interrogated by the knights of the Citadel.
  • Added Map of Bazalek isle.
  • Added Map of Bazalek hint before dropping anchor on Bazalek Isle.
  • Added both ability rolls SCOUTING and MAGIC instead of only MAGIC when trying to cross Sir Leo's bridge by swimming.
  • Added Violet Ocean location in Golnir area and moved Kaschuff's medallion on that location.
  • Added long tap to trigger right click event for context menu on items.
  • Added new profession skills to markets.
  • Added ticket from Marlock City to Wishport (as is in the books).
  • Added Tutorial Tip about the recommended difficulty when selecting Classic mode for the first time.
  • Added descriptive text explaining that the players will be throwing their equipped weapon in the Blessed Springs.
  • Updated Gloves of Sig icon.
  • Updated Amulet of Protection to an artefact to indicate that is a quest related item.
  • Updated Climbing Gear to be an equipable item.
  • Increased announcements from 4 to 5 seconds on-screen time.
  • Updated Molhern's Smithy calculations to include the bonus of the item left by the character; adjusted text to indicate Item of Value (i.e. any item with ability bonus).
  • Fixed a performance issue causing freezes when opening Shops, Ports and Quest Log UI.
  • Fixed a performance issue causing a freeze when clicking on a map location.
  • Fixed Molhern's Smithy dice rolled not accounting for being an initiate of Molhern.
  • Fixed a bug with Molhern's Smithy where the item dropped bonus can be used in another Item drop check.
  • Fixed Blessed Springs taking a bath first forcing you to leave and come back again demanding new payment despite having Vial of Yellow Dust on you the first time.
  • Fixed Cut-throats encounter in Yarimura not taking under consideration if you were wounded by their poisoned daggers.
  • Fixed prince Akradai telling you he is from the Horde of Thundering Skies whilst he is actually from the Horde of the Thousand Winds; added bonus +3 if you have met Akradai on the Charisma roll when meeting his tribe.
  • Fixed illogicalities in the text when you have stolen from Avar Hordeth and meet his ship while drifting at sea.
  • Fixed not losing your Shards in Goldfall when the text says so.
  • Fixed end of story bug when save/loading in Goldfall for gambling.
  • Fixed fast clicking a map location sometimes causing the player to stop and the location to disappear.
  • Fixed Treasure maps close button not working.
  • Fixed Combat ability appearing red as if with negative modifier when equipping weapon with no combat bonus.
  • Fixed Knight Sword wrong description displayed.
  • Fixed a bug where you can save/load on a limited loot chest to get all the items inside.
  • Fixed Stunning Blow and Backstab sometimes causing position miscalculations.
  • Fixed Maxed Stamina reduction to prevent Max Stamina from going lower than 1.
  • Fixed Venefax healer not charging 25 Shards for removing poison.
  • Fixed an issue where you can't overwrite an existing save when you have reached the maximum saves capacity.
  • Fixed various typos.

Important Note
: Considering the extent of these improvements there is little to no chance that I broke nothing in the process despite the concluded closed beta. If you see something wrong, please flag it to me using the usual channels, like the Steam community forums and the official Discord.

The journey is far from over!

We have big plans for the future content of Fabled Lands.
Stay tuned!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom