Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon - parodic fantasy turn-based blobber

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Absolute and utter fake news. Drama stars are the best thing about this game and if there was any justice in the world they'd become an RPG standard.

As a concept, i agree with you but the game isn't hard enough so you don't need them.
Or i didn't so far, sure, i used some in the intro dungeon when they started to reach full gold level but i just didn't want to waste future drama rewards.

So, yes, it should be a standard but it also should have different effects like improving the loot quality or gold drops or xp or whatever is actually useful in the game, otherwise, it's just a useless feature.

And here, it is one.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I completed the Wilderness Tower, not great dungeon design but interesting enough one and way longer than the previous ones, best part was the talking skull.

Anyone repaired the feat generator ?
I used the luck generator on the rogue, there's nothing to buy but fatigue potions so far.
The fatigue recovery generator was nice, and cheap for a change.

Now exploring the hobgoblin's dungeon, it's starting strong, NPC armorer, archers ambush, burning oil ambush, best dungeon so far.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After a decade since its release i finally finished this. Funny it took me so long as i was following and participating in Jay's blog and forum for a time before the game was released - but once it did i had no income at all to buy it and then after i took a job i had no time :-P and then forgot it and drifted a bit away (he closed the forums around that time too i think). I got it on Desura at some point but aside from playing around with the initial area i didn't play much. Around 2014 or so Desura closed down but fortunately i kept all the downloads anyway.

A couple of days ago i set up Linux on a 2013 laptop i have because the laptop has a mechanical HDD and Win10 became way too unbearable with it - the thing stuttered due to disk i/o even during the login crossfade animation (and that is on an almost fresh install). Sadly it is one of those that used Nvidia's Optimus tech with a hybrid Intel iGPU and Nvidia dGPU but that was never supported properly on Linux (and Nvidia stopped supporting the 660M the laptop has years ago anyway), so i was hesitant but i decided that i don't use the laptop for heavy gaming (or much gaming at all) anyway and the Intel HD 4000 is actually properly supported by the Linux drivers (even has Vulkan 1.2 support, though supposedly a bit partial - but i haven't seen any issues in practice) so i went with it anyway. I also installed Wine to try out and see how the state of things are and one of the games i decided to check out as i was going through game setup apps in my external HDD was Frayed Knights. The game worked fine (as expected, it isn't really that heavy) but i ended up getting hooked at it and installed it on my main PC after transferring the save game there to play it properly.

Took me around 23 hours to finish it, basically i was playing the game non-stop for two days :-P. I think the first couple of areas might be the weakest parts of the game, though it quickly picks up later. I liked having to explore the maps for things like the levers, etc - though i think it was a bit easy there and could do with a little more puzzle-y approaches (also i think more than half of those i found the "solution" before the "problem" just because i was exploring the maps instead of going to the often straightforward place :-P). Also the search functionality was neat and i liked how in a few cases there was some scripted description for successfully searching somewhere you wouldn't expect (ie. it was about finding hidden loot - in one case i "searched" and found a ceiling monster and in another i avoided an ambush, which came with some funny description).

The combat is good, though i think there are a bit too many similar spells that i do not see why they exist as there seems to be some overlap between the spell effects, especially when taking spell upgrades into considertion - i'd prefer lesser spells with more unique/explicit effects and the upgrade system would handle the part of getting stronger spells anyway. But it might be my character builds - i just had everyone focus on their default archetype and i really noticed that overlap with Ben and healing where i got both stronger healing spells but also spell upgrades and often couldn't see much of a difference between the stronger spell and the weaker spell after the upgrade. Also, on the topic of magic, i can't say i liked having to use spell stones for many of the spells - or actually, it isn't the spellstones themselves (they're fine) that i had an issue with but how you (don't) obtain them. The issue is that i couldn't find a way to get those aside from the rare drop form some types of enemies, which means i ended up not using many of the spells until near the end of the game when i had hoarded a bunch of them, so i ended up not using several spells. I think if there was a more "certain" way to obtain those (like, e.g., buy them from that sorcerer that has you obtain the rare ingredients, or let you somehow make them yourself - the first merchant you meet has a handful of them but he doesn't restock... if fact the only thing he seems to restock is health potions which are very quickly outclassed by spells) i'd try to experiment more. On a similar note is the lockpicking - i didn't had any particular issue with it actually, except that i'm not sure exactly how it really works, mainly because i didn't feel a need to learn that. From all the drops i ended up collecting a ton of lockpicking materials and just used things almost randomly - with Dirk's high base reflexes and luck, reflex boost perk and reflex boost accessory pretty much everything worked. But perhaps this is how it was supposed to work :-P

Note that despite the issues i had, i still found the combat on the easy side - most of my deaths were from encountering a large group of enemies after opening some door or entering somewhere while i forgot to cast speed and damage buff spells to my fighters. One exception is fighting Hobgoblin Officers where four of them would spam AoE grenades and basically kill everyone in a few rounds. I eventually responded by spamming my own grenades until they are at half health and then take them down normally, at least until i leveled up and got better equipment (and spells) to counteract them. Also "farmed" some drama stars in the first map as by that point the enemies there were almost instakilled by my attacks but they still gave me a drama star fragment which i could use later to give back endurance to my healer during the Hobgoblin attacks. In general i think Hobgoblins have the most intelligent (or at least aggressive) behavior of all enemies in the game, bosses and supposedly big fat heavy monsters included.

Writing-wise i liked the humor - as someone mentioned in previous pages at some point it isn't really "funny" as much as "silly" but it doesn't rely (only) on that silliness and instead does have some worldbuilding and internal logic. It isn't anything groundbreaking but IMO it works fine. AFAIK the second game, if it ever comes out, is supposed to focus more on that and tone down the attempts at humor (something which apparently didn't hit with everyone). Though personally i liked the humor for the most part.

One thing i really disliked however was the UI - i enjoyed the game (as mentioned i practically did nothing aside from playing Frayed Knights the last couple of days) but that was despite the UI. The frame around the view is neat stylistically but it covers the viewport - games that had a toggleable frame, like System Shock, would readjust the render viewport's center and FOV but Frayed Knights doesn't do that, it just renders the frame as an overlay image. If you disable the frame the text becomes very hard to read in darker environments - i remember pointing these out to Jay back in the day (and suggesting the use of a shadow or outline for the text so that it is visible) but those weren't fixed (i think it was due to Torque engine issues?). Also on the topic of text, font rendering is weird - some text (like dialogs) is resolution independent but other text (like status window, spells, your journal, etc) is not and at 1920x1440 (i had to use 4:3 because IMO the UI was too spread out for 16:9) the text appears too small. I tried to use 960x720 so that i can use nearest integer filtering to get a 200% crisp scaling but didn't work as the engine filtered out anything lower than 1024x768 - i did kinda managed to work around it by toggling windowed mode which for some reason used lower resolutions but the resolution seemed to be random and instead of 960x720 i got 640x480 or 800x600 or stuff like that which were too low for the UI elements (the medallion at the bottom right covered almost half the screen). I ended up sticking with 1920x1440, just turning around the camera whenever i wanted to read the status log and... sticking my face right next to the monitor to read any text in the journal. Aside from text i also found the UX design itself a bit cumbersome, especially when it came to casting spells - like the arbitrary limit to 3 quick shots (again i have a feeling this was an engine-imposed limitation due to TGE's GUI system which AFAIK had you design GUIs by hand and was quite limited, most likely also why the spells are shown on buttons). There is too much clicking involved there. Also considering how often you need to search for stuff (i mean using the X key), it is a bit annoying to have a "nope, found nothing" dialog that you need to close pop up every time you search - i'd expect the search result to appear in the status log at the bottom left instead and the dialog to only appear when you find something.

Anyway, issues aside, i hope there will eventually be a second game as i had fun with it. I find it interesting that Jay's first game with his custom engine was made in about a year, then he switched to Torque Game Engine because he didn't want to waste time making/debugging/fixing custom engines and Frayed Knights took him a little more than four years and then he switched to Unity because TGE was rickety and buggy and Frayed Knights 2 is already a decade into making... so perhaps he should go back into using his own engine? :-P (J/K, AFAIK from a comment he made a couple of years ago on the blog the main issue seems to be around art assets and not programming)

It did put me in a free-roaming blobber mood TBH. Perhaps i'll resume my Wizards & Warriors playthrough (which BTW was what the dungeons in Frayed Knights kinda reminds me of a bit... or at least i think between M&M6 -which is with what FK is often compared to- and W&W, it is closer to the latter - though perhaps in reality it is closer to W8 which has actual turn-based combat but i haven't played that).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
0:52 - Lightning does almost no damage on a mere bat.

Lost the interest. Too low lethality.

Bats barely age and their immune system is so efficient no virus can harm them, they're tougher than they look, i'm glad a game outside of Wizardry 8 (Giant Vampire Bats in Trynton) finally acknowledged that.

:excellent:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The wizards are not up to Meredith's standards.

NO, that is not the problem. Believe or not, a bat entered my home some time ago and I've killed him with a broom in a single swing. I just don't like very low lethality where even animals which would't be a trouble for a human IRL can soak dozens of hits.

edit : wait, now I saw that there is no char creation. Lost even more interest.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
0:52 - Lightning does almost no damage on a mere bat.

FWIW this is basically from the last dungeon, bats have a resistance to electricity attacks and Anarchy Bat has very high luck. Regular bats are both weaker and have lesser stats (though they're still resistant to electricity attacks). Also this was a group targeting spell instead of a single target spell with the former being weaker.

And besides, this is a fantasy game with golems made out of pus, birds that eat electricity to produce tinglings eggs with aphrodisiac uses and monsters that look like dungeon ceilings that prey on unsuspecting adventurers... having something like a giant bat being a bit resistant to an element is mundane :-P.

edit : wait, now I saw that there is no char creation. Lost even more interest.

The game is very story oriented with banter between the characters who have their own background stories, etc, so yeah you can't make your own from scratch. But they are the basic archetypes (warrior, thief, mage, priest) and you can grow them as you want, like having the warrior learn spells or your priest learn swordfighting. They are still biased towards their archetype but the game doesn't limit you in how you can grow the characters and there are a lot of feats, enhancements, skills, etc to use in addition to their base attributes.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And besides, this is a fantasy game

I know. But I prefer fantasy with internal consistency where things makes sense. And don't like low lethality, doesn't matter if is no magic, low magic or high magic. Imagine that I write a novel and say in that novel that a wand of fireball is so deadly as a grenade launcher and then, a common street dog manages to soak 3 fireballs and walk as if is nothing. Doesn't matter how high magical setting that novel is. Would be silly, right? Same with video games. Too much nonsense in game mechanics creates atrocious stuff like D&D 4E.

Anyway, I watched a bit more and doesn't seem to be that low lethality. I mean, a single melee hit in other part of the trailer and the mob lost 3/4 of his hit points. That is good.

The game is very story oriented with banter between the characters who have their own background stories, etc, so yeah you can't make your own from scratch. But they are the basic archetypes (warrior, thief, mage, priest)

Do they at least makes the char background impactful?

I don't mind lack of character creation when :
  • Your character is almost a blank sheet. Eg - Gothic 1/2/3. And you can be anything that you wanna.
  • Your character has a fix background which heavily influences the story. Eg - Vampyr
What I really hate is when the game imposes a children with a sword in you and the children has nothing unique that impacts the narrative. He could be anything else and would't impact the story(most like most jrpgs)

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Do they at least makes the char background impactful?

I don't know what you'd expect with "impactful", the game is written with a humorous tone and many of the conversations -be it jokes or serious- assume the character's backstories. The story itself isn't anything special, if anything it is kinda trope-y for the humor to hit off, so chances are if you don't like the humor, you probably wont like the rest of the writing either (you may still like the rest of the game though and you can easily skip the dialogs, i don't think there is anything mentioned that you can't find in your journal - in any case there is a demo here which IIRC was lengthy enough).

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bad Sector , glad you enjoyed the game. I also liked it a lot more than I thought I would and I wish the developer would put out the second game already, but I've given up hope of that happening. The game does start off slow, but I think that's more because your characters are a bunch of C-list nobodies. As you progress they go from struggling, to doing pretty well for themselves, to kicking some ass. The game might have been easy for you or I who are experienced in RPGs and know how to build a party, but I can imagine a player who had a hard time throughout because they spread their skill development around too much instead of focusing on specific roles and abilities. Anyway, thanks for bringing back some fond memories and I agree about Windows 10. I have an old Windows 7 laptop and a Linux desktop.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
The game does start off slow, but I think that's more because your characters are a bunch of C-list nobodies. As you progress they go from struggling, to doing pretty well for themselves, to kicking some ass.

Yeah i think the progress in terms of combat is actually quite nice, the only time it felt off was with the Hobgoblin Officers spamming AoE grenades but i think that was also because i was unprepared. My comment about the first areas being the weakest parts were largely about the dungeon design and puzzles in them (i actually thought i wrote more about the dungeons but looks like i forgot about it... eh, i wrote too much text anyway :-P).

The game might have been easy for you or I who are experienced in RPGs and know how to build a party, but I can imagine a player who had a hard time throughout because they spread their skill development around too much instead of focusing on specific roles and abilities.

Yeah maybe, i noticed some reviews and forum posts in Steam mentioning that the game is hard (though at least in the forum there are replies from people giving advice how to do better).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Somehow this bypassed me. It popped up on a search engine. Of course not a GOG but I will try the demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom