Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ed123's Retro Reviews

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Ed123 has published a new review of a game I have zero interest in playing and yet really enjoyed the review of. Lots of history, really well researched

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I was one of the unfortunate souls to have gotten this game when it was released. While it has its virtues, it's not a game I found particularly enjoyable.

yeah, the review doesn't exactly makes me want to play it

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Mandalore already did that.
What about first KUF game though? Seems like it's forgotten when you compare to other entries in the serie...

Lemming42

Arcane
Deathtrap Dungeon is fucking hell incarnate. One of the most baffling things in the history of gaming is that brief era in the late 90s where people were making Tomb Raider clones that somehow had worse controls than Tomb Raider. Like, the game you're cloning already has a perfectly sound control scheme, why are you making a worse one instead.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Deathtrap Dungeon is fucking hell incarnate. One of the most baffling things in the history of gaming is that brief era in the late 90s where people were making Tomb Raider clones that somehow had worse controls than Tomb Raider. Like, the game you're cloning already has a perfectly sound control scheme, why are you making a worse one instead.
I don't know if the video points it out, since its on my to play list and I try to avoid spoilers, but there's no excuse for it. They could have asked, they were published by the same company. They had some of the staff from Tomb Raider on their game. Hell, some of the others would go onto making Tomb Raider games. They had no excuse.

Riskbreaker

There was a surprisingly solid first-person dungeon crawler take on The Warlock of Firetop Mountain on NDS. That is, as long as you can stomach the way NDS handled FPS-like controls via its touchscreen. I never tried on an emulator, so the controls may be better or worse that way what with using the mouse to interact with "touchscreen".

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I don't know if the video points it out, since its on my to play list and I try to avoid spoilers, but there's no excuse for it. They could have asked, they were published by the same company. They had some of the staff from Tomb Raider on their game. Hell, some of the others would go onto making Tomb Raider games. They had no excuse.

Development started around the same time (initially Deathtrap Dungeon was seen as the contender and Tomb Raider as the follower, then it got delayed, the dev team was inexperienced, etc.).

Also while they all were part of Eidos, DD was developed by Domark which was acquired by Eidos in 1995 (and by the time the game came out they used Ayslum Studios as the Domark name had been retired). Anybody who has experience with mergers will know that it takes years for the different company cultures to merge to a point where they interact friendly with each other internally.

Last edited:

A horse of course

Ed MUST do a review on Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders

I was going to, but it's too popular now that M*nd*l*re has done a video on it. I'll probably do the original RTS/Diablo clone if I can get it running one day.

BruceVC

Magister
Deathtrap Dungeon was one of my favorite of the entire FF series and I wish the PC game had been as well received as the book

But I will watch the entire 1 hour review later because maybe it will change my mind ?

BruceVC

Magister
Why do we need more e-celeb shit? How about actually PLAYING videogames yourself instead of watching your favourite twitch streamer playing them you brainless zoomer.
Good question and I can only answer for myself, when it comes to older games like DD I am not going to invest time in it unless it popular or endorsed by other gamers
So for example classic RPG like Ultima, M&M and Wizardry are highly recommended by many gamers but since PC DD was not well received at the time of its release I am going to read reviews and those can really influence my decision to play it in 2021

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Damn, Ed123 is legit, came in expecting something in between SDG blogs and Sseth reviews so was a pleasant surprise.

Deathtrap dungeon is a game that always seemed interesting visually but just the sample provided on the ps1 demo disc was enough to convince me I probably wasn't hardcore enough to play it.
Looked up the ending out of curiosity and have to admit, it is truly impressive how you can have a least satisfying conclusion then even just a few scrolling words of broken english telling you that you won.

A horse of course

Damn, Ed123 is legit, came in expecting something in between SDG blogs and Sseth reviews so was a pleasant surprise.

Deathtrap dungeon is a game that always seemed interesting visually but just the sample provided on the ps1 demo disc was enough to convince me I probably wasn't hardcore enough to play it.
Looked up the ending out of curiosity and have to admit, it is truly impressive how you can have a least satisfying conclusion then even just a few scrolling words of broken english telling you that you won.

The game tried too hard to be funny, which doesn't always gel well with frustrating gameplay. "lol everything you did was a waste of time" is not a great approach for such a difficult game. I had assumed a lot of it came from Ian livingstone and Eidos as a marketing tactic (sort of pre-dark souls "Prepare to Die" thing), but based on this tweet from a former dev, it was actually the old Games Workshop guys (Halliwell/Thompson) doing the old tongue-in-cheek 80s/90s Warhammer style

Riskbreaker

Ed sounds like someone who ought be teaching English lit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom