Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

Suicidal

Arcane
Kingmaker.

So many people slurp its cock here like it's some holy cow but the majority of elements in that game are garbage:

Encounter design is garbage (unless you enjoy clearing rooms of the same several identical mobs for hours on end, in which case may I recommend Dragon Age Origins? The Deep Roads will surely keep you entertained)
Locations are garbage
Most companions are garbage
Kingdom management sim is garbage
Quests are mostly garbage (majority of optional quests are literal MMO tier "go to location X and get item Y" shit)
Pacing is garbage (several in-game months of inane kingdom management shit and fetch quests after every major story chapter)
Optimization is garbage (loading times out the ass, opening the area map or inventory after a few hours of playing froze the game for like 10 seconds)
Buggy even after 2 years of patches (I loved it when my characters disappeared off the map after I climb down a ladder via an interaction and I don't immediately notice it so I overwrite my most recent save)

The main thing the game does well is the incredible amount of customization and character building potential, but then again, what is the point of it if encounter design is garbage and at some point I just started running around spamming the same AoE spells in every encounter.

The first 3 chapters are genuinely interesting (with chapter 3 being the high point of the entire game, IMO) and the way the game escalates from your typical fantasy murder hobo adventure to you being a ruler is cool but after that the more I played the less I enjoyed it cause everything just turned into a repetitive braindead treadmill that went on for 100 more hours and I'm a fucking autist that's too OCD to stop playing a game I started even if it's not fun anymore.

Codex Year of the Donut
This is just "Trigger the Codex with a statement" all over again

Yeah. Bunch of edgy lowlifes spreading their bullshit. The thread belongs to retardoland.
yygtTkT.png

Codex Year of the Donut

Falksi

Arcane
I missed Arcanum first time round, and still find it too clunky and junky to get into unfortunately.

Planetscape Torment is fantastic at what it does, but what it does it what I expect a book to do more than a game.

Witcher 3's fucking wank, and the embodiment of pure decline. It's the worst of the series, never mind a top 20 RPG. It fights with Oblivion and Dragon Age 2 for top spot in my "How to ruin RPGs just so that the moronic retards of society can join in" list.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
There's a lot of shit games with a cult following here, but one of them stands above the others in being the most overrated game on the site.
Which do you think it is?

Great question and one that initially was hard for me to answer because when I looked at the Lady Error list I have played about 20 of those games and I enjoyed all of them and you asking for a game we thought was shit which is hard if you liked all the games on the list
But I didnt finish Disco, I spent 25 hours on it and I then stopped. I really loved the writing and humor and clever ways they integrated real SJ and SJW issues into the game and your skills like " inexplicable feminist agenda " :lol::lol:
But I got bored with the setting, I dont like adventure games that arent fantasy so I have to say Disco because I didnt finish it. However I dont consider it a CRPG so then its Icewind Dale 1 because its was just combat and no interesting party interaction or things that made the game fun like BG or NWN

Ladonna

Arcane
There's a lot of shit games with a cult following here, but one of them stands above the others in being the most overrated game on the site.

This is how you started the thread. Which "one" do you think stands above the others in being the most overrated game on the site. Which do you think it is?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
PS:T is obviously the most overrated; a graphic novel winning the prestigious RPG Codex best RPG of all time at least once.
Arcanum is overrated too, but at least it was quite fun despite the lacklustre combat.

Codex Year of the Donut

This is how you started the thread. Which "one" do you think stands above the others in being the most overrated game on the site. Which do you think it is?
Yes. Which one do YOU think it is?
Tell me.
:happytrollboy:

Ladonna

Arcane
Morrowind. I have tried playing it a few times and always ended up bored out of my brains. Quest dispenser NPC's, books full of nonsensical meandering, giant lifeless world you have to trudge around in. I see a lot of posts where people talk about the house they bought and put their armour on display, or get nude skins for their characters. Typical Bethesda shit, except you have a few more pieces of body armour and axes. And you have to equip the ring.

wishbonetail

Learned
Planescape Torment being the #1 RPG on this site shows we have a long way to go. A very long way.

Fallout 1 is a decent-good game and that is all it'll ever be no matter how much you smack its fat cockhead on your eager tongue.

Here's the thing: I like FO1 overall. I think any game that lets you talk the final boss to death or a victory condition is really gay but the game itself is fine and has the best atmosphere of any Fallout. What I find the most insufferable are its gormless dickriders. It has this Dark Soulsian effect where the game itself is fine but because it has so many blind bitches ready to eat its asshole at a moments notice makes you start to dislike it by association.

And let's call it out, Fallout 1 on this site may as well be the brofist button. You could make a post saying you love gay marriage, you support transsexuals, you collect funko-pops, you love furbabies/your cats, all that. You could say the most vile things along those lines BUT if you put at the end of your post "I love Fallout 1. Arguably the best RPG of all time. Fucking amazing and life-changing game." you're gonna get brofists, four agrees and a friendly from Sukhavati. It's like you made a really fucking dumb post but because you seasoned it with a Fallout 1 praise then it's redeemable and you get a free pass.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Fallout 1 on the Codex is going into a stadium and saying you hope the hometown team whoops ass in the game tonight. It's a cheap pop.

So you know what? Fallout 1, you're a cool game. Twenty years ago a real cool game. I like you. But fuck you. You're dogshit and if better games gotta go through burning coals of scathing judgment so does your monkey ass. I'm glad Todd Howard saved Fallout as a franchise because otherwise it'd be in the same limbo hell as Vampire the Masquerade.

What do you think about that? Hey... hey... flicks toothpick I'm talking to you.
It is not a common knowledge, but God rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done, just to create the Fallout on the 8th day -his ultimate masterpiece. It took 6000 years for the mankind to invent computers just to run it.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Of the ones I've played, maybe New Vegas?

It was a competent enough Fallout game and I liked it for what it was but it's like they decided to extrapolate on all the goofy bits from Fallout that I never liked, even back then. + some more for good measure.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
mega text heavy RPG's like Planescape and Disco do nothing for me.
Plansecape Torment it seemed like more of a book than a game to me.
Planetscape Torment is fantastic at what it does, but what it does it what I expect a book to do more than a game.
Planescape Boredom. Can't believe this snoozefest is considered GOAT. "Bla bla bla, something death, life, something something, guilt, flying skull says unintelligible gibberish" FUCK OFF, I got enemies to slay and loot to collect and this game provides neither.

PST is combat heavy you retards, its trashmob galore

the combat is shit, but there is a lot of it. literally trash mob after trash mob

Only retards who never played it compare it to Disco

Arbiter

Scholar
Arcanum - barely playable without patches.
Hope they'll patch it soon.

It is buggy with patches too. For example, after closing a portal next to Black Root and finding Liam's body I could not report quest completion to Ms Cameron because she turned invisible. I could locate her with a mouse pointer and a selection circle was displayed, but the sprite was invisible and I could not initiate a conversation. I am not the only person experiencing this problem, I found similar reports with Google.

Other problems:
- broken balance and combat
- cliche ancient evil returns story
- contrived plot, for example the location of Dark Elf city is shrouded with secrecy, even though it is close to civilized areas and easy to find. A dwarf mistaken for a gnome, because he was shaved
- loot difficult to sell because vendors are very picky about what to buy. Might be realistic, but very inconvenient
- Raven falls in love with the player after just a few conversations
- Molochean Hand sends assassins that can be defeated by lvl 1 characters with the assistance of Virgil
- quality of side quests drops significantly after Shrouded Hills, as if that village was designed mainly for the demo to impress would be buyers

jackofshadows

Magister
In a not-so-distant future when non-games become normalized as "RPGs" here on Codex we'll look back and realize THIS TURD was the point where it all went downhill. No combat = not an RPG. Minesweeper is a better RPG than Elysium.
:roll: You're speaking if guys like VD or Styg are sitting there and keep track on what's trending and what's not. And then if they like "uh, DE has received big praise even on Codex, that's it then. No combat in our next game, seems that RPG-enthusiasts stopped caring about that". Or the definition of RPG is what bothers you? Do I really have to tell you that borders of the RPG genre has always been blurry?

Besides, DE's not that highly praised here even. See Jenkem's thread for reference.
Most overrated RPG on Codex?
Anything made by Nu-Obsidian
Really? Pretty much everyone buried TOW here. I'd say people were even too harsh on that game (myself included) for various reasons.
To those who claimed DOS and DOS2 are overrated, they are not even in the Top 30.
So? They belong way lower than that, especially DOS2.

On subj I'd say Pf:K. I wouldn't call it a bad game, rather an average one but the praise it getting here sometimes just ridiculous. It buffled me even untill I hanged out enough in Solasta and WotR threads which made me realise how many DnD enthusiasts here which might turn a blind eye to many, many things as long their new DnD-based game is decent in some aspects.

BruceVC

Magister
Morrowind. I have tried playing it a few times and always ended up bored out of my brains. Quest dispenser NPC's, books full of nonsensical meandering, giant lifeless world you have to trudge around in. I see a lot of posts where people talk about the house they bought and put their armour on display, or get nude skins for their characters. Typical Bethesda shit, except you have a few more pieces of body armour and axes. And you have to equip the ring.

You know they taught us at the school of white, male , privilege that anyone can make mistakes or make the wrong a post that is not the real point....white people despite what everyone thinks are not perfect ;)
You cant mean Morrowind , are you sure you mean Morrowind? I am sure when you played it you didn't use the right Mods because you must use some of the recommended Mods that will address several of your complaints and interestingly enough the books and lore in Morrowind are considered to be one of the most complex and detailed implementations of lore in any Elder Scrolls, I like lore and always understand the normal lore about the game and its features but I am not going to go searching for books to find collections or understand the additional history

But what is great about Morrowind and most ES games is the myriad of different quests that are optional and linked to all the different guids you can ask to join like fighters guild, mages guild, Blades, merchant guilds, Imperial Guild and Vampire Clans to name a few. So you are right that their some really boring easy quests but the quests get much more interesting and rewarding

And the main quest once you realize what you have to do is become this savior in an ancient prophecy and its fun completing these 7 quests and progressing in the game

But if you still dont like Morrowind I will accept it but what would be 3 games you love. Its interesting for me to understand different gaming interests

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom