Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good revenge rpgs ?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nah, it's shit hot. Yeah its cheesy and simple, but like I said the pacing and humour carry it. It's got some of the best party banter going.

They marry that up brilliantly with Velvet's single-minded will to kill. It's top stuff.

So do you actually have to sit through all these lengthy cutscenes or can you quickly read the subtitles and then skip them line by line like in proper western RPGs?

It is a fucking jrpg.....100 hours of gameplay is shitty cutscenes lol.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, one more: in A Dance with Rogues (Neverwinter Nights module) your PC, Lyanna, acts against against a faction that conquered her country, slaughtered her royal family and forced her into a life of poverty. She can take part in spy operations and assassinations. There is also a smaller revenge plot against two serial killers (soldiers of the occupying force) that murdered a friend of the PC. Also, Lyanna can murder (or romance, the module is kinda messed up) her own rapist.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also, Lyanna can murder (or romance, the module is kinda messed up) her own rapist.

What did you expect, the module was made by a woman. Lots of women have rape fantasies.

(Also I mentioned ADWR already a couple posts above :P )

Yeah, just spotted it. You're answering these questions way too fast! Oh well, at least I described the revenge plotlines in ADWR, so the post was not entirely wasted.

duke nukem

Augur
Fallout 4.
I'd forgotten just what a badass bitch Velvet was. This opening scene is a nice taster of how single minded she is.....

Throw in brilliant pacing, mint humour, serviceable combat and anime tiddies, and it really is a quality game.

Sounds like another muh revenge evul,good guys bad.

played opening.
So ? The revenge dialogue options pop up later on trough out the game. Also there is interesting options like when two peasants backstab you and kill you,you then get resurrected and have the option to cuck and forgive or just kill them. The writing is a bit cringe in the 2000 style of gaming for sure,but the game is incline all around.

Nah, it's shit hot. Yeah its cheesy and simple, but like I said the pacing and humour carry it. It's got some of the best party banter going.

They marry that up brilliantly with Velvet's single-minded will to kill. It's top stuff.

That blonde with silly hat sucks so hard. Tries to be funny, but is never funny. Just another annoying comic relieve character along with the bieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen.

And the plot twists sucks hard, like the final boss turns out to be your sacrificed dead brother reincarnation all along. Takes the weight from the revenge story arc completely and renders the anticipation of the final conflict pointless, like all that non stop raging and "im gonna kill and devour everything that comes against me" for 90% of the game and then they completely pull the rug under it. Atleast we get incest picture of the naked velvet and the lil bro in the end credits.

And there was quite few other silly plot twitst like that red hair turning into your side was so stupid, i mean it was clear she was going to turn your side at somepoint, but how it was done...

Still its nice game and of the better tales games. Music is good. Combat is brainless button smashing. Itemisation is super horrible, looting pointless. Second half of the game is non stop backtracking and they put the quest points on far away as possible to inflate the "gameplay" time.

English voice actors are far superior to japanese actors, what is actually rare, usually its the english ones that are bad. All the jap actors sounds so generic.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Fallout 4.

That blonde with silly hat sucks so hard. Tries to be funny, but is never funny. Just another annoying comic relieve character along with the bieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen.

And the plot twists sucks hard, like the final boss turns out to be your sacrificed dead brother reincarnation all along. Takes the weight from the revenge story arc completely and renders the anticipation of the final conflict pointless, like all that non stop raging and "im gonna kill and devour everything that comes against me" for 90% of the game and then they completely pull the rug under it. Atleast we get incest picture of the naked velvet and the lil bro in the end credits.

And there was quite few other silly plot twitst like that red hair turning into your side was so stupid, i mean it was clear she was going to turn your side at somepoint, but how it was done...

Still its nice game and of the better tales games. Music is good. Combat is brainless button smashing. Itemisation is super horrible, looting pointless. Second half of the game is non stop backtracking and they put the quest points on far away as possible to inflate the "gameplay" time.

English voice actors are far superior to japanese actors, what is actually rare, usually its the english ones that are bad. All the jap actors sounds so generic.

Damn, looks like this fallout 4 gaem really is shit.

duke nukem

Augur
Fallout 4.

Damn, looks like this fallout 4 gaem really is shit.
Fallout 4 is amazing game. Good writing, good characters, good weapons, good combat, good exploration, good weapon customisation and good character editor. I have easily over 300+ hours on it.

Falksi

Arcane

So do you actually have to sit through all these lengthy cutscenes or can you quickly read the subtitles and then skip them line by line like in proper western RPGs?

It is a fucking jrpg.....100 hours of gameplay is shitty cutscenes lol.

True, but it's brilliantly done, and like I said the pacing is spot on.

It's not a ton of lengthy cutscenes thrown at you whilst you twiddle your thumbs'. It's usually bitesized skits placed very well amongst the dungeons and towns to break up exploration with a few laughs. The devs have recognized what cutscenes are for - to add another dynamic to RPGs.

Funposter

Arcane
The metaplot of Morrowind is about Azura getting revenge on the Tribunal if you really want to lean into that and go soultrap Vivec and Almalexia.

deuxhero

Arcane
Last one I played was Tales of Berseria. Top game if you're into Weebing. The protagonist's drive for revenge is unrelenting and a joy to behold.

On that subject, any RPG that destroys the main character's hometown and doesn't pull "muh cycle of violence" bullshit to stop characters from killing a mass murderer.

Yeah,BG 2 is more of a revenge than bg1. Also i believe that only DA Origins when deeper in revenge territory,the other had it more as a side thing if any. DAO did let you get revenge and kill the fucks that fucked you up,and there was quite a few dialogue options about.
You can get revenge on side characters from your origin but not the actual villian.

Why did Bioware go with the multiple origin thing anyway? What were they trying to accomplish? Since they dropped the idea in the sequels I'm guessing it didn't have the effect they wanted.
:hmmm:

You get to kill the main arse in the human noble origin. Origins were great thing,it added a lot of RPG value to the game. Made the protagonist feel fleshed out and more unique,everyone had their own backstory in a way. Shame that hey didn't stick with it.

Biggest problem with origins was locking 1/3rd of the classes (which happened to be the fun one) behind a single origin.

KateMicucci

Arcane
You can get revenge on side characters from your origin but not the actual villian.
Origins actually is a revenge story for a Human Noble.

Why did Bioware go with the multiple origin thing anyway? What were they trying to accomplish?
You don't understand why multiple origins would be desirable in a *role-playing game*? Are you stupid or something?
You get revenge on Arl Howe, but he's a tertiary villian after the primary dragon and secondary loghain, neither who had to do with Howe's actions. You can get "revenge" on loghain but that's not really the goal of the game. You're trying to stop the dragon and loghain is just a speedbump.

OK, humor me. Why would multiple different origins be good in an RPG? Since its so self evidently good, why hasn't any other RPG done it, including the DA sequels? Then, tell me why Bioware did decide to do multiple origins for DAO.

vazha

Arcane
Game of Thrones RPG.
Of Orcs and Men too.
In fact, everybody's got their own revenge arc in that one: Arkail's doing his vendetta schtick against humans for massacring orcs, Styx gets a "dish best served cold" thingie with the Mengele of that setting, and the actual big baddie's got his own revenge going agains our heroes. Started replaying it couple of days ago, having a blast so far.

Vendetta: Course of Raven's Cry is a revenge story (multiple revenges and comeuppances, in fact), it's even in the title. Also recommended.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Planet Escape Tournament. Everyone wants to kill NO and we don't even remember why - it was just tuesday.

Zlaja

Arcane
Why would multiple different origins be good in an RPG? Since its so self evidently good, why hasn't any other RPG done it, including the DA sequels?

It's good because it makes your character feel more fleshed out. You're not just some generic adventurer. It also adds a little more replay value. The reason why it hasn't been done more often is because it requires extra effort/time on the part of the developers and publishers like to chuck out games as soon as possible. Like they did with DA sequels. Also, such a feature is probably seen as something only the hardcore gamers/true nerds would appreciate. And fuck those losers, right?

Then, tell me why Bioware did decide to do multiple origins for DAO

Forced to do it by Al Qaida, who had them at gunpoint. Thanks, Osama.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
OK, humor me. Why would multiple different origins be good in an RPG? Since its so self evidently good, why hasn't any other RPG done it, including the DA sequels? Then, tell me why Bioware did decide to do multiple origins for DAO.
Cost efficiency,there is a good reason why bioware were seen as the best rpg makers before they got sold to EA.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Summoner

Stupid butthurt peasant with superpowers put his hand in the furnace (as majesty's advisor said), lost his hand in the process - along with the precious, magic rings of summoning (r) - now he strive for revenge with a handful of allies and his spare hands. Since this is RPG one-handed swords are way to go...

Ultima IX Bugscension

Gastrick

Cipher
In the game Live-a-Live most of the stories involve avenging someone's death. It's more justice than the usual angsty brooding revenge. It is a JRPG but one where cutscenes hadn't been invented yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom