Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good revenge rpgs ?

Falksi

Arcane
I'd forgotten just what a badass bitch Velvet was. This opening scene is a nice taster of how single minded she is.....

Throw in brilliant pacing, mint humour, serviceable combat and anime tiddies, and it really is a quality game.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Sooo i am replaying a Venetica and having a good time
played opening. Lol, thats what you call revenge? Story delivery makes you cringe/roll your eyes.

bg2 is proper revenge: you have whole build up in bg1 to develop bonds, then torture cutscenes and learning more as you try to escape.
fnv while short also delivers revenge story well

DAI doesnt work that well... During most backstories you should actually hate current society. You barely met duncan and you get pushed into some nobles backstabbing.

Alphons

Cipher
fnv while short also delivers revenge story well

What do you mean by "short"?

Chandler has 236 30-minute episodes of character development. Through 118 hours you develop your hatred for the character, to finally release it by crucifying him.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah,BG 2 is more of a revenge than bg1. Also i believe that only DA Origins when deeper in revenge territory,the other had it more as a side thing if any. DAO did let you get revenge and kill the fucks that fucked you up,and there was quite a few dialogue options about.
You can get revenge on side characters from your origin but not the actual villian.

Why did Bioware go with the multiple origin thing anyway? What were they trying to accomplish? Since they dropped the idea in the sequels I'm guessing it didn't have the effect they wanted.
:hmmm:

You get to kill the main arse in the human noble origin. Origins were great thing,it added a lot of RPG value to the game. Made the protagonist feel fleshed out and more unique,everyone had their own backstory in a way. Shame that hey didn't stick with it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'd forgotten just what a badass bitch Velvet was. This opening scene is a nice taster of how single minded she is.....

Throw in brilliant pacing, mint humour, serviceable combat and anime tiddies, and it really is a quality game.

Sounds like another muh revenge evul,good guys bad.

played opening.
So ? The revenge dialogue options pop up later on trough out the game. Also there is interesting options like when two peasants backstab you and kill you,you then get resurrected and have the option to cuck and forgive or just kill them. The writing is a bit cringe in the 2000 style of gaming for sure,but the game is incline all around.

Falksi

Arcane

played opening.
So ? The revenge dialogue options pop up later on trough out the game. Also there is interesting options like when two peasants backstab you and kill you,you then get resurrected and have the option to cuck and forgive or just kill them. The writing is a bit cringe in the 2000 style of gaming for sure,but the game is incline all around.

Nah, it's shit hot. Yeah its cheesy and simple, but like I said the pacing and humour carry it. It's got some of the best party banter going.

They marry that up brilliantly with Velvet's single-minded will to kill. It's top stuff.

Zlaja

Arcane
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

In early game your workplace gets raided, your girlfriend gets kidnapped, and you get sent to a coma. Fortunately, you get revived as Terminator, and can now freely switch between male and female showers by simply breaking down the wall between them

Fable: Lost Chapters

The game starts with your hometown being burned to the ground, and your family butchered. Your path to revenge starts with some EXTREME ROLEPLAYING like farting in people's faces and setting a new world record for how far you can kick a chicken.

Peachcurl

Cipher
My suggestion would be ASURA.

It's an action roguelike, very fun in terms of combat mechanics. Short but very replayable. And it has a fairly unique setting I would say.

And vengeance is the core motivation here.

It's also on GOG.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

Can confirmed, it's real good.
It's Berserk but the protagonist has boobs

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sooo i am replaying a Venetica and having a good time. Made me think about good vengeance games and couldn't come up with many. Dishonoured games,max pain games,the slasher lord of the rings games, New vegas. So,any good recommendations?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You try to avenge your hot scientist girlfriend while uncovering that all the conspiracy theories in the world were true.

played opening.

Nah, it's shit hot. Yeah its cheesy and simple, but like I said the pacing and humour carry it. It's got some of the best party banter going.

They marry that up brilliantly with Velvet's single-minded will to kill. It's top stuff.

English dub butchers this scene strong. Both Velvet and Magilou VA lacks naturality and emotions that original actors had.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I wouldn't call someone who killed your little brother before your eyes and then left you to rot in prison forever "good".
LoL that is obviously because he was a demon or some sorcerer or some such shit. Tho i do agree that he deserves to get fucked for letting the cunt live enough to get revenge.

Sooo i am replaying a Venetica and having a good time. Made me think about good vengeance games and couldn't come up with many. Dishonoured games,max pain games,the slasher lord of the rings games, New vegas. So,any good recommendations?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You try to avenge your hot scientist girlfriend while uncovering that all the conspiracy theories in the world were true.
Hmm well there is not even hint of vengeance motive in the game. Even if there is plenty of reasons....like blowing up your dick before having kids. But the writing is pretty shit in that aspect,it is all about dumb conspiracies. At least it let you drive all the augmented idiots mad. In the second game i just saved the normies and spend half and hour doing home chores while waiting for the EU politicians to kick the bucket lol.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In Suikoden you can kill your dad, so if you have any daddy issues it's a perfect revenge game.

It's typical jRPG, so might be not your type.

Suidoken's main character doesn't have a lot of daddy issues, he and his father just end up on opposite sides of the conflict.

For revenge plots, there's another Bioware game with Jade Empire, where you fight to avenge your hometown and martial art school from the EVUL emperor
and then from your master after he unexpectedly betrays you
But that's not really the focus of the story, since it goes more into the role of the player character as spirit monk (not sure about the exact term, but dealing with the spirits of the dead)

Reinhardt

Arcane
LoL that is obviously because he was a demon or some sorcerer or some such shit.
No, he just does it for greater good of humanity and shit. So, do you want to you and your family to be sacrificed for greater good of, let's say, kwa, so they can get even fatter while your brother is dead and you are rotting in a prison? Or you climb from the pit and fucking kill this fag and "humanity"? Oh, btw "do you want" is rhetorical. No one asked Velvet.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

So do you actually have to sit through all these lengthy cutscenes or can you quickly read the subtitles and then skip them line by line like in proper western RPGs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom