Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for modern CRPGs with old school retro feel. WESTERN STYLE ONLY.

Baxander

Augur
Examples: (These are games I am aware of)
Skald
Unknown Realm
Realms Beyond
Black Geyser
Dungeon Kingdom

Anything I am missing?
Party based is a plus. No action/RPG bullshit.
Give me some shit to look for.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did you miss out on the ”renaissance”?

Might and Magic X: Legacy
Grimoire
Underrail
Pillars of Eternity games (2)
Divinity Original Sin games (2)
Shadowrun games (3)
Wasteland games (2)

And loads of indies someone else can fill in.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Legend of Grimrock

OWKrbeM.png

D9WOkSe.png

Paper Sorcerer

GH7HVHo.png

FEUX8S7.png

Legend of Grimrock II

wkESDH5.png

E7zVkb2.png

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
My game, Battle for Esturia has old school graphics and tactical turn based combat. It has an 8-bit aesthetic, which may be too primitive for some people but you may want to check it out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1514780/Battle_for_Esturia/

Some other good retro CRPGs include Realms of Antiquity: The Shattered Crown, Legends of Amberland, and any of the Spiderweb Softeare games.

Mauman

Learned
and any of the Spiderweb Softeare games.

Most of the Spiderweb games didn't really "click" for me. Geneforge is the one exception to this. I heartily recommend that series to anyone who will listen.

Especially the first 2.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
and any of the Spiderweb Softeare games.

Most of the Spiderweb games didn't really "click" for me. Geneforge is the one exception to this. I heartily recommend that series to anyone who will listen.

Especially the first 2.

My favorite of his games was Avernum: Escape from the Pit. I loved his world building in that game. I haven't played Geneforge but maybe I should give it a shot.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Wasteland 2/3
Atom
Underrail

Those are all good postapocalyptic rpgs. Wasteland games have party combat, all of them are turnbased.

ferratilis

Magister
What's with this Arkania HD? Is it a local meme or what?
According to Codex lore, Arkania HD, Underrail, and Elex are the greatest games ever made.

And also, deterministic system > RNG, bitch.

Welcome to Codex, enjoy your stay.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Examples: (These are games I am aware of)
Skald
Unknown Realm
Realms Beyond --> Vaporwave
Black Geyser
Dungeon Kingdom

Anything I am missing?
Party based is a plus. No action/RPG bullshit.
Give me some shit to look for.

As you're including game(s) not released yet, you should also check:
  • Call of Saregnar
  • Colony Ship -- Not a visual retro feel but gameplay wise, Colony Ship hits the spot.
There's a lot more but i should really start writing down my own list.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
A Legionary's Life is not exactly a retro-style game, but it's an excellent historical RPG with some hints to classics like Sword of the Samurai, so check it out.

Legends of Amberland is a cute little blobber similar to World of Xeen, not a perfect game but it deserves more love. And I've not played it, but Swords and Sorcery: Underground seems to be a fine Might and Magic I clone.

Battle for Esturia is fine but a little too close to the JRPG genre, so if you don't like that kind of games beware.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
A Legionary's Life is not exactly a retro-style game, but it's an excellent historical RPG with some hints to classics like Sword of the Samurai, so check it out.

Legends of Amberland is a cute little blobber similar to World of Xeen, not a perfect game but it deserves more love. And I've not played it, but Swords and Sorcery: Underground seems to be a fine Might and Magic I clone.

Battle for Esturia is fine but a little too close to the JRPG genre, so if you don't like that kind of games beware.

I intended to make a western RPG, but I really like classic JRPGs as well, so I did take some influence from those games. Is it possible that I've been corrupted? Will my next game be linear and full of random encounters? Will I force you to do hours of aimless grinding? I shudder at the thought.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom