Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Five RPGs that I must play

BruceVC

Magister
I left the question broad, part because I wanted the essential list, partly because I haven't played many rpgs. I sank a lot of hours in Skyrim when I was still playing games, but now that I have the leisure time, I want to play the essential rpgs. Then figure out which I like and play the derivatives.

If you loved Skyrim you must play Oblivion, Morrowind and Daggerfall and of course make sure they heavily modded. We have some relevant threads on these games and suggested mods

Radiane

Cipher
Avernum 1
Avernum 2
Avernum 3
Blades of Avernum
Blades of Avernum

Play the 200x versions, not the shitty "remakes". Of course you could try the original Exile games, but if you didn´t play them back then I think the Avernum games are much more suited for new players and the Avernums retain the spirit of the old Exiles with reasonable QoL features, like the much better dialogue system. Also, if you want to play the best ones, you can skip the second trilogy (4-6), instead after you have played Blades of Avernum, just play that one again, that´s why I included it twice in that list. These games are real pearls, so don´t be a swine.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I left the question broad, part because I wanted the essential list, partly because I haven't played many rpgs. I sank a lot of hours in Skyrim when I was still playing games, but now that I have the leisure time, I want to play the essential rpgs. Then figure out which I like and play the derivatives.

If you loved Skyrim you must play Oblivion, Morrowind and Daggerfall and of course make sure they heavily modded. We have some relevant threads on these games and suggested mods

If you loved Skyrim, you'll definitely love any games made by CDPR and any of the more recent Bioware titles.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Well let's see, starting with the A's...
Albion
Alcahest
Anachronox
Arc the Lad Collection
Azure Dreams

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
1) Dungeon Rats
2) Knights of the Chalice 2
3) Age of Decadence
4) Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
5) Ravenloft

Dungeon Rats is, in my opinion, a must play if you love hardcore tactical RPGs. It has pretty much everything you enjoy about the genre. Smart encounter design. Loot that you have to earn through tooth and nail. Solid combat. Also satisfying progression as you go from Rock Bottom wearing rags to the upper levels where you get better gear. Chalice 2 is another must play; it features one of the best enemy AI you'll probably ever experience. Unlike Dungeon Rats, it uses the Dungeons and Dragons ruleset. Which is very well implemented. Has lots of classes which you can see here. Tons of feats. A kabillion spells. Additionally the developer is constantly *still* adding content, fixes, and other stuff to it. There's currently only one module (Augury of Chaos) out for it but there will be more!

Age of Decadence is more of a narrative experience, in my opinion, where you try to explore the setting and solve the different mysterious in order to understand what caused the great downfall the empire; while contending with the different factions that are vying for power. Now that isn't to say it doesn't feature combat nor that it isn't the focus. Gameplay is Turn Based with Single Character and is implemented pretty well. What makes it fun though is the scenarios you can find yourself in. Lots of situations where you're outnumbered and have to repel the enemy back! Speaking of which, there's this one situation where you try to fend off an invading army in the game. Super exciting! I like it a bit more than Planescape Torment, mainly because the combat is much better than it!

Ravenloft is dwarfed by the bigger titles in the genre - however to this day I still get mesmerized by the music and atmosphere. Indeed, it has some of my favorite music ever:

It sounds more beautiful if you're able to mess around with a midi player and get some good codecs for it. Gameplay is mostly done in First Person within Real Time which isn't that great. However, it's still fun just listening to the music, exploring the world, appreciating the art, and so on.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pool of Radiance
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Planescape: Torment (I don't like this much, but it does have a few memorable moments and everyone should try it at least once to either love it or hate it)
Fallout

These are all fantastic games with very different qualities that should help a person sort out what they like and should be experienced as part of a baseline experience of the range of CRPGs. The only thing really missing imo are like blobbers and (true) roguelikes. Real time square dance shit is an abomination and if I could, I'd go back in time and abort that subgenre.

It took me awhile to write my list since every time I was thinking about it, I'd see Crispy's list and crack up.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
These are all fantastic games with very different qualities that should help a person sort out what they like and should be experienced as part of a baseline experience of the range of CRPGs. The only thing really missing imo are like blobbers and (true) roguelikes. Real time square dance shit is an abomination and if I could, I'd go back in time and abort that subgenre.
0jryfd.jpg

Bro, do you even RPG?

mediocrepoet

Patron
0jryfd.jpg

Bro, do you even RPG?

Yeah. Only good ones though. It's ok. Everyone likes crap sometimes. *pat pat*

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You don't have to do the "square dance shit" in DM. It's perfectly beatable without, even the dragon can be beat in a straight fight as long as you have enough Magic Boxes.

mediocrepoet

Patron
You don't have to do the "square dance shit" in DM. It's perfectly beatable without, even the dragon can be beat in a straight fight as long as you have enough Magic Boxes.

It could be. I'll admit that I've never played it despite all the recommendations. I've just found that I've hated every title in this subgenre that I've ever tried, so even though they're aping that and that's possibly the best, I have no expectations that I'll find it worth my time or anything. I just appreciate that there are different niches for different tastes, just like a surprising number of Codexers hate the Pathfinder games. YMMV

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I bought The Bard's Tale from google play and it came bundled with the originals, so I've begun my dive with the very first game. I'm gaming on a phone right now, but I'll be reunited with my desktop soon. (Maybe I should have asked for great rpgs to emulate on a phone.) Ah well, thanks for the help, everyone.:cool:

Maybe I should have asked for great rpgs to emulate on a phone

:what:

wishbonetail

Learned
I bought The Bard's Tale from google play and it came bundled with the originals, so I've begun my dive with the very first game. I'm gaming on a phone right now, but I'll be reunited with my desktop soon. (Maybe I should have asked for great rpgs to emulate on a phone.) Ah well, thanks for the help, everyone.:cool:

Maybe I should have asked for great rpgs to emulate on a phone

:what:
Here are some games i have played on Android recently
1)MM2 MD.emu - SNES version is better
2)MM3 Isles of Terra PCE.emu - good port
3)Shadowrun MD.emu - Greatest of all times
4)Rings of Power MD.emu - Second best
5)Metal Max returns Snes9x EX+ - post-apoc JRPG

Conan

Arcane
In no particular order:

Deus Ex
Mount and Blade Warband
Blackguards
Fallout
System shock 2

Codex Year of the Donut
pretty sure the best mobile rpg designed with mobile controls in mind is atom rpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom