Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hand of Doom - first-person wizard action dungeon crawler with FMV graphics

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_3e44f25328ee2194c6427f7e2842c985d698253c.600x338.jpg
ss_2adceb32bb70a5399d82b8a7274c5d94dd2c9bdf.600x338.jpg

This was originally a short game from the first Dread X Collection.

An apprentice wizard, seeking always to gain more power, enters the service of a powerful sorcerer to do his bidding. Now, trapped in eternal servitude, you are sent on a quest across the planes of existence to seek out and slay the Doomlords who preside over reality itself, all in the name of preventing universal disaster.

THE MASTER OF DEATH
The master of death has been resurrected. The powerful wizard that holds your contract signed in blood can no longer survive from the power they siphon from entities they've bound all across the planes of existence. To become more powerful than death itself, he sends his army of cultists to slay the entities and amass enough power to dethrone a god.

SLAY OR BEFRIEND
You don't have to honor the contract. In the different planes of existence, you can choose to slay or befriend the shackled entities, changing the conclusion of your story. Will you be a ruthless justicar, meting out pain and death? Or will you instead find common ground and friendship? The choice is entirely up to you in this doom metal and dark fantasy-inspired world.

FEATURES
  • A full version of the hit wizard simulator from the first Dread X Collection
  • Nostalgic throwback to dungeon crawler RPGs of the early 90s, complete with live action FMV
  • Cast spells by learning and performing arcane incantations one word at a time
  • Doom metal-inspired soundtrack including tracks by Hexenkraft
  • Inspiration for what to paint on the side of your van

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I remember playing this in the Dread X collection.

The diablo 2 runes still make me crack up.

agris

Arcane
Patron
those hand gestures for casting look like a middle school sex ed teacher trying to teach a bunch of 8th graders what getting to third base entails

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This looks like its going to be so amazing. Just everything about this sounds pormising.

For those curious what the advertised band sounds like:

Not doom metal, but still sounds good.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The hand gestures is what i'd picture sign language for deaf satanists would look like.

Harthwain

Magister
Dreadful Dev Diaries: Torple Dook #01
In his first dev diary, lead developer Torpledook introduces the extended and mysterious world of Hand of Doom.

Colour me interested. I hate FMV games with a passion, but this is pixelized enough to pass as pixel art, which I like. Also, a first person mage simulator? Casting spells by combining runes?

9e9.gif

I just hope the spells will be interesting and that the environment will allow for the creative use of them.

Kruyurk

Learned
The pasty 21st century nerd hands look so out of place. Looks like a neat game otherwise though
Maybe those are meant to be some codexer's hands from which the demons are harvesting brofists. And the nice button can open doors, nice indeed.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Will it let me have fat fingers so I can roleplay as Messiah Marcolin?

Harthwain

Magister
I always found FMV to be a horrid mistake. For me it can only work when it's pixelated enough, because trying to be "realistic" will only end up it feeling out of place (read: not a game but a movie). Arthurian Legends is a good example of how it can work and Hand of Doom seems to, thankfully, taking a similar approach.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Damn this game looks awesome! Definitely going to check this one out, I love the art style and the music too. I'm not even very into metal and haven't been for two decades (except for the occasional Ulver and such like) but it works so well in this context.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't know about anything else, but the music (at least the one in the first video posted in this thread) is orgasmic.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I played this, so you don't have two.

As a passion project it's a cool little game. The music is fucking fantastic and the FMV endearing in a very "we did this in our garage" kind of the way. Everything else just sucks: it has no meaningful exploration, no combat system whatsoever and the puzzles are beyoind basic. To give you an idea if you need a key for a gate, that key will be around the size of a tree just hovering somewhere nearby.

Harthwain

Magister
Everything else just sucks: it has no meaningful exploration, no combat system whatsoever and the puzzles are beyoind basic.
Really? That's a shame. I hoped for some interesting use of magic system.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
It's interesting in that it plays an integral part in moving forward: cast fireball to clear out dead wood, cast rain to extinguish flames, cast light to see in the dark etc. But a statsless game can't really offer anything in terms of combat. You can upgrade your weapon and that's about it. If the puzzles were at least challenging I would have played it to completion but I couldn't bare myself to do it when all there is to it is rock/paper/scissors.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So wait, it does not have a combat system at all or it has a combat system but there are no stats? Because IMO that is a big difference.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
You can punch or slash things and cast some spells that make enemies dead. If you can call it a system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom