Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What to play next?

Which one?

• Total voters

CoronerZg

Augur
Hello my autistic friends,

Life was demanding this last few years, so the lack of free time made me almost stop gaming completely. But after a long time I've decided to try and squeeze-in one proper RPG anyway. Well... I need you to help me pick "the one".

Option 1 - Wasteland 3 - I've heard combat is great and the game is fun but sometimes too goofy... then again some of you say it's just mediocre, so maybe there is a better choice?

Option 2 - King Arthur - the latest craze of the RPG codex, everybody are raving about the game, yet a lot of people are saying the game becomes a chore in later parts and the combat loses all its fun. If true, that sounds very bad for a game focused on combat.

Option 3 - Vagrus - the caravan simulator... general reception was good and people say writing is great, so I have a feeling this one could be the best out of a bunch. But I also know devs didn't have the time to tweak and polish the game properly yet, so maybe it's still worth waiting a bit?

Option 4 - Wrath of the Woke - eh... this one is my last pick, but I did enjoy Kingmaker quite a bit, until the last part. So if the ending is not that long and boring this time around and the combat is fun, maaaybe I could ignore all the woke nonsense. Or try at least.

Anyway, these are my 4 main options, but if you have some hidden gem from recent years to recommend, feel free...

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
but if you have some hidden gem from recent years to recommend, feel free...
EGS-Nioh2-The-Complete-Edition-KOEITECMOGAMESCOLTD-S2-1200x1600-3af607bc038a6726c3a14dbc376ad85f.jpg

• Excellent combat;
  • Big build variety;
  • Faggotry and related nonsense is completely absent;
  • Lots of content.

CoronerZg

Augur
EGS-Nioh2-The-Complete-Edition-KOEITECMOGAMESCOLTD-S2-1200x1600-3af607bc038a6726c3a14dbc376ad85f.jpg

• Excellent combat;
  • Big build variety;
  • Lots of content.
Thanks, I've just checked it out. Can't say I'm a fan of the cartoony visuals, but if there really is a great game underneath,
I could ignore them... but please tell me you can turn off those ugly numbers poping out every time you hit an enemy?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I enjoyed the Vagrus demo and am now waiting for the main game to go on sale.

You should try the demo, too, to make sure it's a game you want to invest a ton of time in. If you are okay with a lot of reading, this game will fit the bill.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Arthur I guess

W3 at best is mediocre
Vagrus is bloatware which doesnt know what it wants to be
WotR is woke trash for kids

Sentinel

Arcane

• Excellent combat;
  • Big build variety;
  • Lots of content.
Thanks, I've just checked it out. Can't say I'm a fan of the cartoony visuals, but if there really is a great game underneath,
I could ignore them... but please tell me you can turn off those ugly numbers poping out every time you hit an enemy?
Yes, you can.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Option 1 - The girl power got tiresome. Maybe if they werent such nags it would have been ok. But if thats your thing, then pick that.
Option 2 - Got boring sooner rather than later
Option 3 - Ended up having quite a bit of fun with this. It has some unique elements. Plenty to mull over as you progress.
Option 4 - The modern talking points really distracted me from any sense of immersion.

I picked Option 3.

Don't know if its a "hidden gem" but Low Magic Age is fun. Its early access though which is its downfall. It is updated enough to not cause much worry about completion though. A bit more work to do. Keep in mind the Steam Summer Sale is right around the corner.

Sjukob

Arcane
As Sentinel have already said - yes you can. If you are looking for a more traditional experience then you can check out Archolos - mod for Gothic 2 that is so good it rivals original game in quality:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I vote for Adventure Construction set. Play some Rivers of light after the Land of Adventuria.

C64 is best imho.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
I've only played Wasteland 3 - but it was surprisingly really good - good combat, good story, good choices & consequences.

It can get goofy as shit - and that can be annoying, but on the flip side considering the general woke state of the industry, and the fact that it had Reganites in it, I thought for sure it was going to be a leftist screed, and it's really not.

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Wasteland 3: it's not a Grand Gaming Opus but if you temper your expectations accordingly it's a fun little game
King Arthur: as much as I'd like the hung aryan developers to find some success, this porridge is very bland
Vagrus: if I wanted to read books, I'd read books
Wrath: I loved Kingmaker, played it 3 times - I couldn't get through Wrath once. the demon city with its "innovative" navigation and tedious quests was just too much.

People recommended Nioh 2, it's probably great. I only played the first one and loved it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Vagrus starts off good, if you like King of Dragon Pass you will probably like it.

In general, mistakes you make early on can lead to an unwinnable death spiral later where you can't pay your people, they leave, leading to even fewer resources, thus even less people, etc etc until you can't win the simplest battle. Just like KoDP. Interesting setting and great writing but as others have said, it's not much of a "game", more like a COYA book.

Wasteland 3 is OK. Not as good as Wasteland 2 and more wacky, but the combat is better.

How recent are we talking here? The last good RPG's to come out have probably been the Pathfinders.

Actually, Expeditions: Rome is pretty decent. Not great but better than the ones you mentioned.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It isn't like the original choices given here are all that acceptable, depending on your tastes. I get the feeling you want something a bit more epic/iconic? These are niche choices, imho. Nothing horrible (well wotr might be i mean... a bit woke).

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Wasteland 3: it's not a Grand Gaming Opus but if you temper your expectations accordingly it's a fun little game
Know any grand gaming opuses that need little tempering of expectations?

Recently I really liked Elden Ring - but, like Nioh 2 that was also mentioned here, it's an action game more than anything else.

I kinda want to try Death Stranding, and Expeditions: Rome I have installed but couldn't get around to playing yet.

CoronerZg

Augur
It isn't like the original choices given here are all that acceptable, depending on your tastes. I get the feeling you want something a bit more epic/iconic? These are niche choices, imho. Nothing horrible (well wotr might be i mean... a bit woke).
Yeah, it's kind of random, I know. Those are just few recent games I've been interested in (mostly from reading
about them), and they cover different styles of RPGs, that I generally like. But as I said, I'm open to other suggestions.

CoronerZg

Augur
Vagrus starts off good, if you like King of Dragon Pass you will probably like it.

In general, mistakes you make early on can lead to an unwinnable death spiral later where you can't pay your people, they leave, leading to even fewer resources, thus even less people, etc etc until you can't win the simplest battle. Just like KoDP. Interesting setting and great writing but as others have said, it's not much of a "game", more like a COYA book.

Wasteland 3 is OK. Not as good as Wasteland 2 and more wacky, but the combat is better.

How recent are we talking here? The last good RPG's to come out have probably been the Pathfinders.

Actually, Expeditions: Rome is pretty decent. Not great but better than the ones you mentioned.
Well people generally call The Age of Decadence a CYOA, and it's probably my favorite game from the last 10 years, so maybe Vagrus should be my game of choice.
Hm... wasn't the general consensus that W3 is just overall better than W2? And by recent I mean something like last 2-3 years. It's not some special rule,
I've just played most of the older ones. Interesting, didn't get that feeling about Rome when I was reading about it... might be worth checking out then. Thanks.

CoronerZg

Augur
Well, you could try each for an hour or two and go from there.
True, that would be reasonable ...but my OCD gets in the way and I usually play the game for way too long,
even if it's not really worth the time. And as mentioned, time has become a scarce resource for me these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom