Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we at post-modern gaming yet?

Are we at post-modern gaming yet?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s were the modern era of cinema, are we at post-modern gaming yet? How does that look like? I think we aren't yet, and I think it will look very fucked up and unlike modern gaming of today. Discuss.

Cologno

Educated
I voted "post". Just seems the industry is creatively bankrupt on most fronts and leaning hardet and harder into degeneracy to keep up interest. BG3 is a great game overall, but FFS does it ever speak to what I'm referring to.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Gone Home heralded the arrival of post-modern gaming. Literally no gameplay, just wearing the form of a video game like a skin suit in order to tell a Z-tier story that couldn't get made into a movie. Kentucky Route Zero could also qualify.

Iucounu

Educated
Wokeism seems influenced by post-modernism, so the same should apply to woke game developers and the games they make.

post-modern gaming
Does that include gamers too? What does a post-modern gamer look like, besides enjoying post-modern games?

Azdul

Magister
Games do not need movie budgets. There are hundreds of games released every day.

You can create game by yourself - and make your own creative choices - which is impossible in movie industry.

It's like saying that all books written in 2023 are crappy. You need to make conscious choice about the books / games you are going to try - because it is impossible to check even 1% of what's out there.

The only way you can be exposed only to consistently creatively bankrupt selection - is to buy a game console - but even then you must limit yourself to physical releases.

Viata

Arcane
We are at the cannibalism era of any kind of media. It's extremely rare to find anything modern that is good among movies, books, games, etc. The people that do X only consume X, they do not have a very diversified taste like many decades ago. Your next best-seller fantasy author has only read fantasy books in his life, if he touches anything that is not a fantasy book, it must still be a fantasy genre be it movies, games or whatever, assuming obviously that he even has any hobby outside of only reading fantasy books. He also only reads the modern fantasy books, so his work is just the most generic shit being released since that is what sells anyway (well, he also has no skill to make something different given that his output is heavily dependent on his input and that is just the most generic fantasy books).
You can find a good work being made, but don't expect to find it among mainstream shit, neither expect some normie to mention it.

Gandalf

Arbiter
C
I play mostly AA and below that are hyper tuned to my tastes and I'm having a jolly good time. Golden age vibes here.
Can you names some of these titles? I'd like to do confront them with my post-gaming claim.

trespasser

Novice
If 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s were the modern era of cinema, are we at post-modern gaming yet? How does that look like? I think we aren't yet, and I think it will look very fucked up and unlike modern gaming of today. Discuss.
Omnipresent woke bullshit in AAA titles = postmodernity per definition

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
C
I play mostly AA and below that are hyper tuned to my tastes and I'm having a jolly good time. Golden age vibes here.
Can you names some of these titles? I'd like to do confront them with my post-gaming claim.
Dominions 6
Talos 2
Powerwash Sim
American Arcadia
Hunter: Call of the Wild
Lunacid
Anodyne
Case of the Golden Idol
Hob
Scorn
Pilgrims
RiME
Chicory
Root
FURI
Steamworld Dig 2
Outer Wilds
Subnautica
Pirated boardgames in Tabletop Simulator
Gloomhaven (playing physical tho)

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Gone Home heralded the arrival of post-modern gaming. Literally no gameplay, just wearing the form of a video game like a skin suit in order to tell a Z-tier story that couldn't get made into a movie. Kentucky Route Zero could also qualify.

Fair point

Disco and Pentiment too. Literally close to no gameplay

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Okay guys I think we have our answer,

Postmodernism is an intellectual stance or mode of discourse[1][2] characterized by skepticism towards elements of the Enlightenment worldview.

So when clinically insane devs such as Soyer claim that "Wizardry is not an RPG" or when someone considers Disco an RPG, that is clear evidence we are in post-modernist gaming.

That is eerily similar to redefining genders and shit. I spoke about this a lot before but couldn't put my finger on it.

post-modernism = deconstruction of norms (in this case videogame genres)

/thread

Last edited:

Disciple

Savant
Video games are still a relatively young medium and at the same time too fast-moving (since they are inextricably tied to technological advancements) compared to literature, cinema or music. I think that makes it hard to establish periods and eras like one does in classical music.

One undercurrent of much post-modernist literature, apart from fragmentariness and the questioning of narratives, seems to be an approach to make the most of what the written letter form can offer, which results in post-modernist works making for very tough screen adaptations. Not sure if modern video game developers care about any of that.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
95% of video games are still just toys for children and people who are mentally children.

Ascribing movements to the medium is premature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom