Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stormgate - sci-fi/fantasy RTS from ex-Blizzard devs

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Feels like Warcraft 3 designed by an accountant

This is a great way to summarize this game! I played one tutorial and 1 normal match (witch I won LOL) but I don't think I'll play this one anymore. Not really like WC3s skirmish gameplay much.

DoWhocares

Literate
Feels like Warcraft 3 designed by an accountant

This is a great way to summarize this game! I played one tutorial and 1 normal match (witch I won LOL) but I don't think I'll play this one anymore. Not really like WC3s skirmish gameplay much.
They really screwed the pooch with this one, it looks like. As a big-time WC3 enjoyer, I played this for a couple days until concluding that this feels just like SC2 but worse in every way. And I don't want to play SC2. They've really managed to please no one here, have they.

Where did you find a tutorial? I assumed there wasn't one so I jumped straight into ladder. Can't see any tutorial in either Versus or Custom section.

*Ah nevermind it's in co-op. Never bothered clicking on that one. SCII co-op bores the shit out of me so I assumed I wouldn't enjoy it here either. Not that I need a tutorial anymore at this point.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Where did you find a tutorial? I assumed there wasn't one so I jumped straight into ladder. Can't see any tutorial in either Versus or Custom section.

*Ah nevermind it's in co-op. Never bothered clicking on that one. SCII co-op bores the shit out of me so I assumed I wouldn't enjoy it here either. Not that I need a tutorial anymore at this point.

Yeah it is in co-op, pretty straight forward co-op match against a passive AI. Though my partners droped after a few secs of the game, making it a bit challenging for a first match.

Have more than 2x win to loss ratio at this point. Just got myself to Silver. This is definitely more fun than I expected it to be and, considering the fact it's far from finished, the full version might actually get me to finally uninstall SCII. But they do need to put a lot more work into feel and readability of combat.
Also some of the functions that are currently in are nice in theory but actually useless at the moment. Like "automated control groups" - as far as I can see there is no way to customize what goes onto which key and it just always puts all army on them. That's retarded and shouldn't have been included in this state, not to mention they set it to enabled by default. Or the "quick build" button, which is messy and unreliable. They were promising that it will grab the closest worker available for the task but right now it seems random. I would tell it to build some buildings at my second base and then it starts grabbing workers from the first base, wtf. And after they finished their task, instead of returning to their original workplace, they get sent wherever my bases are rallied to. It actually makes shit more complicated than not using it at all, definitely needs to be worked on. "Quick train units" works fine though and I never felt the need to put production buildings on a control group thanks to it. "Return resources" button also doesn't work well, unlike in SCII. When I grab a worker from "minerals" and put it on "gas", if I press C to return the resources while it's on the way there, he returns back to mining "minerals". That makes it useless. And because it is the same button as in SCII it keeps fucking me over as it's ingrained in my muscle memory at this point. Even though I know it's useless I keep pressing it automatically.

Also I am not sure it was a very smart decision from marketing point of view to choose this particular week for open beta. IEM Katowice is this week and that means majority of SC2 scene will be too busy with that to stream Stormgate. Most likely even the god of SC II himself, Serral, would've done a stream of this if he wasn't focused on the tournament. And he always gets thousands of viewers when he decides to stream.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am not feeling it at all, the hype that was around Sc2 for example.
I am more looking forward to some of the C&C clones coming out.

ArchAngel

Arcane
How many C&C clones are there other than Tempest Rising?
I think over 10 coming in next few years. It feels like new age of RTS atm with how many RTS are coming for all types. I am pretty sure 95% will crash as I do not see enough players for all of them. I do not understand why so many developers think there is enough RTS fanbase.. most are mid aged to older people now not able to play these games in MP like we used to.
BTW when I says C&C clones I count in that Red Alert and C&C Generals clones

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
How many C&C clones are there other than Tempest Rising?
I think over 10 coming in next few years. It feels like new age of RTS atm with how many RTS are coming for all types. I am pretty sure 95% will crash as I do not see enough players for all of them. I do not understand why so many developers think there is enough RTS fanbase.. most are mid aged to older people now not able to play these games in MP like we used to.
Maybe they'll learn to focus on SP and PvE content? Campaigns, mission packs, that sort of thing?

AE2382C9BA6F2C119C4496AFAF35C54D23CEE1E4

Zerg OP. Majority of losses were during first day, when it seemed only tryhards were available for matchmaking. Since then I've been getting tired of winning.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
An average salary for a video game developer in Irvine, CA is 110k dollars a year, so depending on how many employees they have 38 million might not be much. The marketing budget, the bloated CEO salary, some of the devs probably have higher salaries than that, licensing fees for software, etc. etc. do add up. And I'm sure they aren't budgeting correctly.

ArchAngel

Arcane

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Yeah, I started having misgivings when I heard about those absurd numbers and them continually asking for more funding. They should already have a functional game. I think Blizz giving them a blank check in the past has wrecked their sense of budgeting. They sound unbelievably entitled. If this crashes and burns, then I won’t be surprised. Thankfully I haven’t put my eggs in one basket

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand what you are buying, considering it will be free to play.

-M-

Educated
Apart from coop commanders and the usual cosmetic bullshit, I believe they plan on selling the campaign in episodic installments.

Shame there's absolutely nothing appealing about the universe they've presented.

Bigger shame is they brought on Chris Metzen for story duties.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Apart from coop commanders and the usual cosmetic bullshit, I believe they plan on selling the campaign in episodic installments.

Shame there's absolutely nothing appealing about the universe they've presented.

Bigger shame is they brought on Chris Metzen for story duties.
Exactly. I feel similarly about ZeroSpace.

IMO it’s only Immortal: Gates of Pyre that has an interesting setting out of the SC clones.

If you want interesting story, then you’ll have to write it.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
To put it into descriptive terms, the art direction is too clean and cartoony. The rebels are supposed to be living in post-apocalyptic conditions but their machines look fresh off the Apple assembly line, are stylistic over substance, and there's no sense of desperation in their designs. I could excuse the models since they're WIP, but the concept art suffers this problem in spades.

Compare this to Starcraft 1's art direction, which was much grungier and slapdash. Part of that was due to the low resolution of the time and the fact that they really did have to throw together the game at points, and part of it was because the artists were working off the grunge aesthetic popular in the 90s at the time as well as the cyberpunk genre (the story was originally written as overtly cyberpunk, but this lessened over time).

Johannes

Arcane
To put it into descriptive terms, the art direction is too clean and cartoony. The rebels are supposed to be living in post-apocalyptic conditions but their machines look fresh off the Apple assembly line, are stylistic over substance, and there's no sense of desperation in their designs. I could excuse the models since they're WIP, but the concept art suffers this problem in spades.

Compare this to Starcraft 1's art direction, which was much grungier and slapdash. Part of that was due to the low resolution of the time and the fact that they really did have to throw together the game at points, and part of it was because the artists were working off the grunge aesthetic popular in the 90s at the time as well as the cyberpunk genre (the story was originally written as overtly cyberpunk, but this lessened over time).
The scbw hd patch sprites look good too, they don't need low res to look cool.

Also not just the units, the Stormgate maps look really bland as well. Is there even another tileset than the generic grass/dirt/pines one?

The scbw hd patch sprites look good too, they don't need low res to look cool.

I love how SC Remaster looks. Looks much nicer than SCII. Too bad it still controls like garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom