Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was the last game you were genuinely hyped for?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
128 GB RAM
How many Chrome tabs could you leave open with that back in the day?
Ah yes, I see... man, isn't it incredible how we were able to survive with MBs instead of GBs back then?
Megabytes? When I started gaming computers had 64 kilobytes of RAM and disks were 144kb each. Uphill. Both sides.

Bill Gates denies making 1981 comment about limits of RAM needs, despite popular legend. Here's the legend: at a computer trade show in 1981, Bill Gates supposedly uttered this statement, in defense of the just-introduced IBM PC's 640KB usable RAM limit: "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
And his piece of shit DOS didn't let you play games that had steep requirements. Not without learning how to haxor your autoexec and config and even then it could only get you so far. I ended up having to use some software called QEM to free up memory and use your Extended Memory.

Also Balmer said everyone wants a keyboard and nobody would want to use a device with a touch screen. Then then Ipad became the biggest selling thing of all time.

rubinstein

Educated
Oblivion.

After that clusterfuck I died on the inside, got banned from Elder Scrolls forums, and ended up on the Codex.

:0-13:
^I was in studying Economy in Uni when it came out. We were a few guys who were super hyped for it. (I was the least hyped.) Oblivion made one dude completely stop gaming, and the other one never dared to be hyped for a game ever again. Me, while I still think it has many flaws, didn't hate it, but it paled in comparison with Morrowind.
both posts remind me of how i felt about about skyrim in relation to oblivion. i was a teen in 2011 and i considered oblivion to be a good game back then, it was my first beths game after all. i also enjoyed fo3 despite not playing much. fortunately, since then i experienced many other games that saved me from becoming a potential bethestard. and skyrim was among them. it did not impress me at all, it left me jaded even. a diluted version of oblivion, which was already a diluted version of morrowind - i learnt it somewhere along the way while expanding my horizons and acquiring taste for :obviously: video games.
i wonder if similar fate await zoomers (and the earliest alphas even?) who in their youthful optimism await TES VI after rather disappointing starfield. i am talking about these zoomies who started their rpging adventure with one of those "TES V : Buy-Me-Again edition" that impacted their malleable brains irreversibly, just like it had happened to us earlier with morrowind or oblivion. in 2 or 3 years, with TES VI relase, many of them will experience what seems like a tradition at this point: get enamored with your first TES X, spend your youth considering it the pinnacle of gaming, get excited for the next TES, buy it day 1, start cursing todd after playing it for more than 10 hours. i bet my ass the same will happen with TES VI. but the kids need to learn their lesson somehow. thats kind of a rite of passage for true rpg enjoyers.

Itoh

Literate
Demon's Souls. I had it preordered, and still remember walking a mile and a half the day after a snowstorm to pick it up from Gamestop. Totally worth it.

Sibelius

Novice
I was massively hyped for Elden Ring, From Software are the only devs I trust completely. I never watch trailers, don't even look at gameplay reveals etc, I like to go in blind and stay blind at least until I have completed a first playthrough.

Sad story, after being so hyped, I bought it day one, then noticed that there was an ugly non-optional compass right in the middle of the screen. I tried to use the 3D Migoto app to mod the game to be able to toggle the compass shader off, but 3D Migoto doesn't work in DX12, so I had to wait for someone to mod the compass out (around 2-3 weeks). Yes, I am hard against any kind of QoL and intrusive ugly HUD elements in souls games (and most other games)!

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never be hyped for something.
Wait for detailed gameplay explaining game mechanics and the like, then see if it is worth it and if it is to your liking.
If it's some "cinematic" trailer or some shit, then I know it's gonna BOMB and I should stay away.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Megaman X Corrupted had me super hyped, the first 3 X games were some of my best gaming experiences ever. Still waiting for release 15 years later... he's still doing updates and working on it... refuses to even entertain the idea of a release date. At this point I think it might be some sort of elaborate troll, where he's purposely making an entire fangame he never intends to release to the public.

stunner345

Novice
Rome 2 Total War. I had one hour with it and realized what an absolute dumb and buggy shit show that game was. It was also the last game I have preordered.

Goldschmidt

Learned
Deadfire; hyped enough to pour a lot of supporter money (and my name) into the game.
It was Pillars for me. Suffice it to say, I did not want my name in the game, or to be thanked in the credits.
Yes in the credits I mean, luckily they didnt do a poe 1 by including supporters as npcs, huge plus in Deadfire. I am not even sure my name is in the credits, although I paid for it. The list is all scrambled and not alphabetically (lol?). The list is also quite huge.

Modron

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma 2, I'm incredibly hyped for the release next month.
Would be hyped but not sure my 1660s is up to snuff. Tis a shame since the first one was fairly well optimized and had recommended specs that were fairly potato for its release day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom