Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I started playing this game called deadfire

huskarls

Scholar
It was touch and go for a bit as I was doing the rat dungeons, learning the controls, reading the level up abilities, then it hit me; that the game, mechanically speaking, wasn't difficult nor fun. It's put me in a bit of a pickle because the plot is holding back the game as well, so I know its not this kind of VTMB or Arcanum kind of story emphasis game.

So I was wondering how I am supposed to play it? Is kind of like an elder scrolls game where I'm supposed to enjoy the atmosphere - you know walk around with my roleplay and listen to the music? I was hoping for some tips on how to play it before I got any deeper in, such as if I can ditch the main questline and become the king of the thieves guild, or which party members I should be romancing. Thanks in advance fellow codexers

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It was touch and go for a bit as I was doing the rat dungeons, learning the controls, reading the level up abilities, then it hit me; that the game, mechanically speaking, wasn't difficult nor fun. It's put me in a bit of a pickle because the plot is holding back the game as well, so I know its not this kind of VTMB or Arcanum kind of story emphasis game.

So I was wondering how I am supposed to play it? Is kind of like an elder scrolls game where I'm supposed to enjoy the atmosphere - you know walk around with my roleplay and listen to the music? I was hoping for some tips on how to play it before I got any deeper in, such as if I can ditch the main questline and become the king of the thieves guild, or which party members I should be romancing. Thanks in advance fellow codexers
please remove all pre-set party members and roll your own, will be easier romancing them as well

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

By the time I was done with side content, I just steamrolled the main campaign, which is the worst part of the game.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

> you're (probably) expected to quest for all the factions and play all the angles in order to benefit yourself and find out what is going on in the Deadfire. They can be interesting, but a moral/reasonable man wouldn't align with any of the factions except to the extent he's getting paid. You can complete a faction questline (only one, at the steep expense of another) to access the final location in the main quest, or just upgrade your ship and crew appropriately and go to the final location yourself. Note, while the factions themselves are all terrible people who don't deserve to win, getting some kind of tolerable political settlement for the conflicts in the Deadfire means siding with one of them to fill the power vacuum. Personally, all of the emphasis on nationalist politics in the Pillars of Eternity games sort of bothers me because the Player Character is never really given a good reason to be a patriot.

> you just kind of wander around the Deadfire doing content. Faction quests or DLCs are usually the best and most interesting content with the best rewards, hence why you work all sides. The sensibility is similar to F:NV in that it is just a map you explore doing work for factions.

> romantic sub-plots in Deadfire are almost Arcanum thin. I think Maia is the best, but she'll leave unless you side with the (second) worst faction, ruin her life, or complete the main quest without a faction.

Old Hans

Arcane
I tried playing this game but I couldnt get passed the goofy writing and I nearly pee my pants

TedNugent

Arcane
POTD was definitely the way to go - I think I played hard mode in the first game, which was bang on the money for challenge, and decided to go POTD for Deadfire based on the insistence of everyone on the dex.

It was definitely challenging in the early levels. I stopped playing it almost near the end of the game instead of finishing main quest. I guess I was going to go after those outrageously powerful side bosses at some point, but I never got around to it.

The original Pillars was a much better game.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
So I was wondering how I am supposed to play it?
So you read a whole bunch of trash tier drivel, then you try get some enjoyment out of having firearms (rare in a fantasy game) and a pirate ship, then you realise the terrible companions and v/o are going to drive you insane with the never ending crapwriting and you think 'maybe Ill come back to this another time' and go play an FPS or something. In my case, I havent gone back to it yet.

Probably the optimal Min/max way to play it. Not sure about any other builds.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Both of the PoE games have poorly designed combat and making the combat harder just means making it more tedious and unfun. I would just play them at the easiest difficulty so that I don't have to waste time in the combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom