Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Star Wars?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
No idea how advanced beyond a rumor this is but: https://www.dualshockers.com/total-war-star-wars-reportedly-in-works-at-creative-assembly/

A reliable source has told DualShockers that one of three new Total War games in development will be Star Wars-themed.

What the hell does Star Wars-themed mean lol. It's either set in the Star Wars setting or its not, it's not a fucking decoration.

9ted6

Educated
Creative Assembly's tried making two scifi RTSs before, Halo Wars 2 and Stormrise. The first one had a mediocre reception and the second one most people have probably never heard of because it was shit and forgotten about. So there's a precedent.

We also know they're dumb enough to blow money on dead on arrival or dead before arrival projects (Hyenas) so I think this may be legit.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Creative Assembly's tried making two scifi RTSs before, Halo Wars 2 and Stormrise. The first one had a mediocre reception and the second one most people have probably never heard of because it was shit and forgotten about. So there's a precedent.

We also know they're dumb enough to blow money on dead on arrival or dead before arrival projects (Hyenas) so I think this may be legit.
Halo wars 2 had serious issues where all the covenant units looked the same and were ugly redesigns of popular Bungie stuff. Maybe related to 343 but it made the game much harder to get into. And having the big bad turn up on mission 1 to fight you was really anti climatic and felt dumb as fuck.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
jqumjknj771d1.jpeg

9ted6

Educated
Expecting Star wars to be your big tent pole game is a really risky idea these days. Warhammer still has it's full range of paypigs despite trying to kill them off. Star wars has successfully killed them off.
I'd also argue Warhammer's fanbase is generally more obsessed with the games too. The Star Wars fandom is more about consuming the media rather than the games hence why things like the Armada wargame were never that successful. Meanwhile Games Workshop could mold feces into 40k minis and people would buy them while few people give a fuck about the official media. Total War 40k would still sell like crazy no matter how bad it is.

The owners of both franchises hate their fans but their fans keep throwing money at them only for different reasons.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I'd also argue Warhammer's fanbase is generally more obsessed with the games too. The Star Wars fandom is more about consuming the media rather than the games hence why things like the Armada wargame were never that successful. Meanwhile Games Workshop could mold feces into 40k minis and people would buy them while few people give a fuck about the official media. Total War 40k would still sell like crazy no matter how bad it is.
Warhammer is it's entire own genre of games. Not just table top but mobile and PC games. A new one comes out every other week so they must be selling to some degree.

Ryzer

Arcane
A star wars game related to or mention any star wars movie other than the originals is shit by default.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Expecting Star wars to be your big tent pole game is a really risky idea these days. Warhammer still has it's full range of paypigs despite trying to kill them off. Star wars has successfully killed them off.

Pft, I wish. Star Wars is a huge franchise. It'll have people in line ready to swallow its slop even if Disney takes a literal shit on their heads.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Pft, I wish. Star Wars is a huge franchise. It'll have people in line ready to swallow its slop even if Disney takes a literal shit on their heads.

Has Disney even made back the money paid to Lucas?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Dunno if true, but it's discussing a SEC filing or something.

1716156303072.png

Ryzer

Arcane

View attachment 49820
Fuck this gay ass world.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

View attachment 49820
There's no way that's net profit though.

Napalm

Novice
Finally everyone will be able live out their dream of using droid army to utterly crush the filthy Gungans! But seriously, squeezing Star Wars into Total War format doesn't sound like the easiest task. They would obviously want to milk the most recognizable stuff like stormtroopers and AT-AT walkers, but those things don't seem to fit well into classic Total War of large unit squares facing each other on open field, with lots of melee combat.

ind33d

Learned

if the halo wars team is making this it's gonna be good, hw1 was like 66% complete and still one of the best games of all time

lightbane

Arcane
In the past, I would be interested. Now, in the Clown Age, I wonder how they'll fuck up, since AAA Western games can't do anything right anymore.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In the past, I would be interested. Now, in the Clown Age, I wonder how they'll fuck up, since AAA Western games can't do anything right anymore.
The Total War devs, in particular, have not been able to make anything good for years now. Rome 2 had a disastrous release and introduced new mechanics that have completely fucked the series over.
I still enjoy Rome 2 but it planted the seed that made all subsequent TW games shit. The battles just feel lame and flaccid compared to the old games.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Only idiots would let themselves milk by DLCs. We got our share of DLC idiocy in WH I, another share in WH II, and well even die hard fans saw no reason to pay for them in WH III.

1. I could make Pharaoh better and after some rewrite and 3 years of development it would be far better game. But it should be in different time period.

2. WH3... LOL at DLCs.

3. WWI yea they can't do shit with new programmers and crap development teams.

4. WH40K. Even owlcat managed to release game where you shoot guns and scream FOR THE EMPEROR. I kinda wonder how they would handle aircrafts and orbital bombardment. Considering this area was bit evaded in game rules.

5. We bought BIG FRANCHEESE FROM DISNEY, now people would pay.

6. Obviously, China bitten into that bait only once, if at all. Big market sometimes doesn't equal big returns.

Modern CA is shade of itself. I think Denuvo screwed CA. When CA wasn't forced to actually make something quality, and people paid for basically anything because they were forced to do so, CA became lousy company.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm very much looking forward to the shit show.

It's the entire point of AAA games to me now.
Tyrany was decent. Geneforge 2 remake was nice. Planet Crafter surprised even if it's a jank. Revival Recolonization, I didn't play it for more than few minutes, but it seems as better version of Civ VI and Endless Legend. Elden ring was decent AAA game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom