Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum What is the status of the writer for Arcanum?

Codex Year of the Donut
Edward R.G. Mortimer
Is he alive? Did he do anything after Arcanum?

For a bit of background, PCGamer did an interview with Tim Cain sometime after Fallout released
http://home.ica.net/~mordeth/compendium/fallout/timcain.htm
He's even interested in working with some of the Judges Guild writers, if he know how to contact them. "I don't know what happened to all their designers," says Cain. "There was a guy Edward R.G. Mortimer, his stuff was just incredible. He was a great designer; I'd love to hire him. His ideas were just incredible."
Tim Cain eventually did contact him and got him to write for Arcanum, obviously.

curds

Magister
I'd like to know as well, as Arcanum is one of the better-written CRPGs out there, IMO. Evocative, but not too flowery. Made me chuckle more than a few times (something I find really rare in video games).

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I'd like to know as well, as Arcanum is one of the better-written CRPGs out there, IMO. Evocative, but not too flowery. Made me chuckle more than a few times (something I find really rare in video games).
Not to mention redpilled on (((gnomes)))

pidstuff

Educated
There's some guy asking around for him as well. He said that Tim Cain hasn't emailed back yet, and Josh Sawyer doesn't know who he is. Then it was speculated as to whether it was a pseudonym.

Kainan

Learned
Afaik the manual was written by Arinn Dembo under a pseudonym. She also wrote some lore for Homeworld and Sword of the Stars (great games)

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Not to mention redpilled on (((gnomes)))
Well as Rusty mentioned, he did write for Judges Guild: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judges_Guild#2020_racist_and_antisemitic_remarks_by_Bob_Bledsaw_II
The Arcanum "Protocols of the Gnomes of Zion" was pretty based.

It is quite a funny game. Trolling Gar about green tea being superior and talking to Lukan the Witless come to mind.

Kainan

Learned
Some of the "goodbye" answers are funny a la Fallout
Like in Skyler and Sons basement when the guy talks for a long time you can say
"Well, well, look at the time!" or something like that.

Ryzer

Arcane
I'm still alive. :) I have been in the modding community for decades, and am still modding -- for my own enjoyment nowadays.
Do you remember how it was to work on Arcanum after 20 long years? How did you come up with this story?

Ed Mortimer

Arcane
Developer
I'm still alive. :) I have been in the modding community for decades, and am still modding -- for my own enjoyment nowadays.
Do you remember how it was to work on Arcanum after 20 long years? How did you come up with this story?
I remember how it was to work on Arcanum, and even remember the little I saw Troika working on Temple of Elemental Evil, and yes, to answer Zed the Circle of Eight edmortimer is me also. Most of the quests/stories/etc within Arcanum were created by all those working on the project - my job was to fill in the conversations. The main points, if it wasn't my story, was done by whoever had the idea. The archaic language was my idea, and it wasn't accepted at first, but I insisted and eventually everyone liked it (after they toned me down a little).

Sweeper

Arcane
I was gonna post the image, but I'll decide not to be an asshole.
Ed Mortimer I've only the highest regard and respect for everyone that worked on Arcanum. We'll never get anything like it ever again (and that's a good thing).

Terenty

Liturgist
Yep, Arcanum is one of the best written games indeed, imho. Kudos to everyone involved

Ed Mortimer

Arcane
Developer
I was gonna post the image, but I'll decide not to be an asshole.
Ed Mortimer I've only the highest regard and respect for everyone that worked on Arcanum. We'll never get anything like it ever again (and that's a good thing).
Thank you all for appreciating what little i did to add flavor to Arcanum. I worked remotely, 3000 miles away, and so 99% of the credit belongs to the guys working their hearts out there: Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, Jason Anderson and the rest. Tim was my main contact with the project, and his direction was invaluable.

Most of my commercial work was done with Judges Guild. There was a big project with Bard Games (pen & paper) I was on, and some other projects I helped a little on. but most of my computer stuff has been modding: SPCamo Workshop for 7+ years, The Bear's Pit for I forget how long :) and other places like ToEE Circle of Eight. I had a evil mod of ToEE almost done, where the object was to recruit everyone in the Temple over to your side and take it over . . . but real life got in the way for a few years and I never finished it.

Ed Mortimer

Arcane
Developer
I see my earlier reply to this thread is still awaiting moderator's approval - I dunno why, I'm a noob here - so to sum it up I'll just say, thank you, I appreciate that you enjoyed our work. I had very little to do with it, and all the credit goes to Tim, Leonard, Jason, and the entire crew who lived and worked Arcanum.

sosmoflux

Educated
I remember how it was to work on Arcanum, and even remember the little I saw Troika working on Temple of Elemental Evil, and yes, to answer Zed the Circle of Eight edmortimer is me also. Most of the quests/stories/etc within Arcanum were created by all those working on the project - my job was to fill in the conversations. The main points, if it wasn't my story, was done by whoever had the idea. The archaic language was my idea, and it wasn't accepted at first, but I insisted and eventually everyone liked it (after they toned me down a little).
You've gotta tell us more before you die suddenly. What was it like working with some of those now-famous writers and designers? Fun stories?

Ed Mortimer

Arcane
Developer
You've gotta tell us more before you die suddenly. What was it like working with some of those now-famous writers and designers? Fun stories?
Unfortunately, I worked remotely - 3000 miles away using postal mail and CDs as well as email. I only spent a week in California (or was it 2?, I had terrible jetlag) with everybody. I would have loved to have lived and worked there with them. The work area was incredible -- welcoming to pets, family, crashing there after late night sessions, cutting edge computers and tech (for the time, not like mine at home) . . . it was everything you wanted in a workspace. There were a lot of people at Troika at this time -- ToEE was also in development. Lots of people contributed, and those who lived there would have first-hand stories - you can look them up. I'd guess they would appreciate the interest just as I do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom