Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

10 minutes of The Witcher 2 gameplay

dragonfk

Erudite
Oh shut the fuck up DraQ. As far as I remember they said about 80 different armors you can use in the game depending on your style of play. And I for one find that very good.

This trailer give me very high hopes for the game. I'm not a big fan of The Witcher, but everything I've seen in the gameplay videos assures me that the sequel will be worth playing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is even a combat log in the game! :smug: I'm satisfied with this good shit.

DraQ

Arcane
dragonfk said:
Oh shut the fuck up DraQ. As far as I remember they said about 80 different armors you can use in the game depending on your style of play. And I for one find that very good.

This trailer give me very high hopes for the game. I'm not a big fan of The Witcher, but everything I've seen in the gameplay videos assures me that the sequel will be worth playing.
No, you shut up. It does not matter if you're a fan or not - first commandment when dealing with an established universe should be "thou shall not rape".
:x

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
"Flash player 10 is required to watch this video."

And then after I download and install it still won't work.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So how does the combat system work in TW2 exactly? Is it the click-timing minigame? Are there combos? Different styles?

dragonfk

Erudite
DraQ said:
dragonfk said:

No, you shut up. It does not matter if you're a fan or not - first commandment when dealing with an established universe should be "thou shall not rape".
:x

No, You shut up! Giving us, players, more choice is always better!

RPG are meant for you to roleplay a character. When you'll be playing "your" Geralt you can have one armor for the reminder of the game. But if I want to dress my character with 80 different armors during game it's my choice and get the fuck out of it with your overzealus fanboyism.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
dragonfk said:
When you'll be playing "your" Geralt you can have one armor for the reminder of the game. But if I want to dress my character

Geralt is not some gayass Hawke or Shepard, he is an established character, thats why there should not be such thing as "your" Geralt. Having Geralt as main character is a major flaw in the first game and 99% that it will be the same in sequel.

dragonfk

Erudite
I know that in Russia you're allowed to do things only in one way, the "proper" way, but thank God the game is made by Poles not Russians. You want to, you stick only to few armors during the game. Roleplay your character anyway you want, but don't stick your too long nose into my way of playing the game.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
dragonfk said:
Roleplay your character anyway you want,

I am not allowed to, i am forced to play as Geralt. And if Geralt is forced on me, his presentation better be true to books, because if it's not, then what was the fucking point of having him in the first place?

but don't stick your too long nose into my way of playing the game.

Best way to play the game your way is by creating your own character.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They had crafting in the first game -- it was just pointless.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
dragonfk said:
But if I want to dress my character with 80 different armors
then you go play a game that isn't set in a setting where the absence of loot is one of the key points.

(going by the books at least; haven't played TW1)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sceptic said:
dragonfk said:
But if I want to dress my character with 80 different armors
then you go play a game that isn't set in a setting where the absence of loot is one of the key points.

(going by the books at least; haven't played TW1)
In most fantasy books, there isn't too much loot. Dozens of powerful swords and armor wouldn't make sense in the story. How would the characters carry the stuff? But a game is different, and I think making the game a bit different from the books is not an unforgivable sin. I've read several Witcher books, I love them, but the game is not a 1:1 adaptation, it's just built on the world, the character and the feel of the Witcher universe.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There's a difference between expecting a modicum of itemization (item progression usually being one of the primary hallmarks of an RPG) and wanting overpowered flaming swords of death. You can still have a decent variety of weapons/armor that have slight variations, advantages, and drawbacks without crossing over to the absurd. But, then again, that takes actual thought and depth in design as opposed to just plopping out another action hack-n-slash.

After watching the video I couldn't really tell much of a difference in combat (possibly because the person playing was either awful or not paying attention). Bombs existed in Witcher 1 but the signs were so overpowered you didn't need to bother making them. As far as the signs/magic -- can't really tell if they will be improved. The air/knockdown one was pretty much instant-win for the majority of Witcher 1 opponents and it looks the same from this demo. The others were largely worthless aside from one or two situations.

The quest at 8:40ish looks like they realized the murder investigation from the first was the best one they implemented and decided to replicate so hat's off there. Of course if you can simply figure everything out by clicking on all the dialogue branches then it's sort of pointless. Hopefully it is interwoven/dependent on what abilities/talents you pick up and/or what books you read -- but that's probably wishful thinking.

dragonfk

Erudite
Why does availability of loot make you disappointed? In the books Geralt could use armors of slain enemies, but he choose (much more often than not) not to. No one is expecting you to dress Geralt in number of different colored armors. The problem seems with you, not the game. I can't stress it enough and I slowly lose my determination to point AGAIN that it depends on the player wheter or not he will stick to the "bookish" Geralt or not. I see no problem with developers allowing us to choose rather choosing for us. Where's the spirit of freedom of thought and choice that The Codex was always proud of? Is it on maternity leave or something?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
dragonfk said:
Why does availability of loot make you disappointed? In the books Geralt could use armors of slain enemies, but he choose (much more often than not) not to.

Exactly. They could have even introduced durability in conjunction with the crafting: you can repair your current armor that has +X chance to dodge or -Y bleed damage with the armor that just dropped off random Joe but at the cost of lowering the bonuses/advantages. So you have itemization that isn't over-powered but still varied and gives the player a meaningful choice. But we can't have that in Witcher games.

:M

Archibald

Arcane
Back in the day shit like Oblibion was considered lore rape, now it seams that it`s enough to add more loot than there were in books and it`s already lore rape.

Dantus12

Educated
Well what is known so far looks good.

The concern about Lore disrespect is perfectly normal, because the books are great. Sapkowski is not desperately trying, that makes the books even more amazing.

Geralt in The Witcher2, from what I gathered has a different talent tree that includes:
-Magic
-Alchemy
-Sword
-Training

These have lots of sub-categories.
The magic sign's are the same plus another one was added, based on fan feedback.

Then there is the addition of traits. These have influence on Geralt's social skill's like persuade for example.

-The Alchemy ingredient storage is unlimited.
-There are IIRC 30 armor sets plus crafting.
-The mod tool will be released .
-The video above is pre-beta.

The journal contains a short version, like a summary and a long version for players that like details.
This long version can be shared with other players by connecting your log via Facebook.
-The keys can be remapped.
-The gloving sword trails are runes, the runes are visible this time.

On my sihil there's a old spell engraved with dwarvish runes. What does the inscription say:"Kill the motherfuckers!":)

The group style from the previous game is no longer present, left mouse button uses fast style, right strong style, another key for active block, another for dodge and so on.
The Ctrl key activates the slow motion pause.

About the Lore rape:
The dragon like creature from the Alpha is a Tentadrake, known from the books.
The strange looking fire sequence with this burning wooden Boss is a dream sequence about the Origin of the magic system in the Witcher world.

Mini games are back:dice, fist fighting, arm wrestling and another one , which my dementia inflicted brain can't remember now.
There are quest's associated with the mini games, so visiting the Tavern is lucrative.

Geralt's unwillingness to get involved in politics and racial disputes is one of the important parts of the Witcher2.
He will not loose memory again.
There will be a reflection on Yennefer and Ciri.
Shani is not coming back.

About the lore drift away, it may happen in form maybe of a unknown monster, but generally I haven't seen anything that looks like a huge drift away from Sapkowski's established lore.

(joke mode on)
Because Geralt is a very set in stone character I always considered my self as a follower.
Simply put:
I'm not cool enough to be Geralt.
Not intelligent enough to be Zoltan.
When I think highly of my self, I see my self as Jaskier, the Adoring fan of Geralt.
Worked always flawless for me, and made the first game a great experience. :D

P.S. Pardon my English.
----------------------

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
DraQ said:
dragonfk said:
Why does availability of loot make you disappointed?
Because in books Geralt once spent significant amount of time jewing money for a new fucking jacket.

Hmm, but this isn't the book. The games are set after the books so it's not like it has to follow any kind of canon. The fact that you can develop Geralt differently to the books due to his convenient amnesia is already a 'lore rape' of sorts. I for one will be following the 'canon' Geralt style, but I don't see why I should be limited in doing things a bit differently during a replay, and having a bit of extra loot for dressing up a bit in itself is hardly important compared to the difference C&C will make anyway. If it's something to get a few extra sales from the dress up faggot generation then well, it's a minor enough concession. Would be much worse if they went the Arcania route of total retardation.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The inventory's looking better than before, though it's still not ideal. And that swirling that popped up when it loaded the new area seems kind of unnecessary but oh well, better than constant loading screens.

Mangoose said:
So how does the combat system work in TW2 exactly? Is it the click-timing minigame? Are there combos? Different styles?
They haven't said much about it but I know there are light and heavy attacks, using magic and switching between the two won't break a combo you've built up, and styles are gone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom