Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The official NWN2 screens are finally here

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://www.eurogamer.net>Eurogamer</a> has posted 4 <a href=http://www.atari.com/nwn2/>Neverwinter Nights 2</a> screens. You can satisfy your curiosity <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61426>here</a>.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Nice, but nothing spectacular; The Witcher had more impressive screenshots almost a year ago, I think.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Screaming_life said:
it's a Bioware game, thats all you need to know! ;)

No, no it isn't. Bioware did the original NWN, but the sequel is being developed by Obsidian, which is composed of a lot of ex-Black Isle talent. Now, thats not to say they won't be pressured to not deviate to far from Bioware's formula, but we shouldn't immediately dismiss it since all things Bioware tend to be meh.

Drakron

Arcane
BioWare made a error, they tried to make what is a party based system into a single character game and halfway they realized it was not going to work and so we got henchman.

NwN because a "action" RPG due to the silly amount of enemies, the INCREDIBLE STUPID IDIOTIC DECISION TO MAKE THEN GIVE 10% OF THE XP THEY SOULD UNDER THE D&D 3rd EDITION RULES made things even wost since we getting screwed out of your deserved XP awards.

I have little confidence in OE, after all KotOR2 managed to fuck up combat EVEN MORE that KotOR ...

obediah

Erudite
Drakron said:
BioWare made a error, they tried to make what is a party based system into a single character game and halfway they realized it was not going to work and so we got henchman.

what he said!

NwN because a "action" RPG due to the silly amount of enemies, the INCREDIBLE STUPID IDIOTIC DECISION TO MAKE THEN GIVE 10% OF THE XP THEY SOULD UNDER THE D&D 3rd EDITION RULES made things even wost since we getting screwed out of your deserved XP awards.

what he said!

I have little confidence in OE, after all KotOR2 managed to fuck up combat EVEN MORE that KotOR ...

uhm...what he said!

Especially the first part - the ability to allow a player to pause and control a party would have made the difference for me. I played NWN for a few hours, and then spent the rest of the day cursing and looking for my UA disks.

Azarkon

Arcane

Because what matters is the combat, right? Especially right after you bashed NWN for being made into an action RPG...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BIO fucked up? Really? All the sales, and the existence of a sequel proves that theory wrong. Espicially since NWN's combat is MUCH better than any other D&D game ever except for TOEE 9well, TOEE's combat system, anyways).

Yes. Better than the IE games. Better than the GB games. Better than all the rest.

Game over.

Fuckin' morons.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Yea, those are really nice screenshots.

I guess old Fearg wasn't lying! :lol:

Screaming_life

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
Screaming_life said:

No, no it isn't. Bioware did the original NWN, but the sequel is being developed by Obsidian, which is composed of a lot of ex-Black Isle talent. Now, thats not to say they won't be pressured to not deviate to far from Bioware's formula, but we shouldn't immediately dismiss it since all things Bioware tend to be meh.

i agree but the original quote i was replying to was referring to the first NWN.

I expect a solid but largely uninteresting game... with some kind of epic story of course! ;)

Anoik

Novice
The problem with NWN was that the game was developed around multiplayer (in my opinion), and they put in the off line module as a bonus. But the off line module was bad, very very bad, and boring.

RGE

Liturgist
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Oooh, pretty. Nice & moody, I like it.
That's my opinion as well, though the tilesets glare at me and I've seen equally good (or even better) screens from NWN modules. But it's a good thing that they at least put the bar at 'unpaid modder' level. :)

Screenshots look fine to me, but foggy. I hope it's not always going to be that gloomy. Finally managed to wrangle 3D graphics around to the point where they're getting backgrounds and scenery that approaches the "obsolete" hand drawn stuff, I see.

And Bioware didn't do the "original NWN", either. (don't mind me, just feeling contrary ATM.)

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
RGE said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Oooh, pretty. Nice & moody, I like it.
That's my opinion as well, though the tilesets glare at me and I've seen equally good (or even better) screens from NWN modules. But it's a good thing that they at least put the bar at 'unpaid modder' level. :)

I don't think that NWN2 uses tilesets... at least not from what I read on the forums. I think that terrain is painted down, spruced up with placeables and environment settings for some mood.

If so, I'd say it looks pretty good. Especially when you consider that this is not a single-player game. I'd be interested to see what they've done with the DM client.

MarFish

Liturgist
Drakron said:

Yea, I'm sure they are trembling and crying all over the error that caused them to sell somewhat 2.5 million copies of a game. I'm sure they'll avoid doing such horrible mistakes in the future.

MarFish

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
Screaming_life said:

No, no it isn't. Bioware did the original NWN, but the sequel is being developed by Obsidian, which is composed of a lot of ex-Black Isle talent.

Please suck some more Troika cock on the way, you are unbalancing the universe right now. Nothing against Obsidian but companies should be rated based what they recently did, not what some few guys did in the last century. Or at least mention the great achievements of Lionheart and IWD2 in the same sentence with talent. KotOR 2 was ooookkk, but certainly it was not a ticked for free rides, even if some people who worked on it might have touched the magical Tim Cain or parts of his body a while back. It's the same nonsense you've been spewing around before ToEE hit the shelves, second coming of Cain, da new BioWarez, bla bla bla, you should have learned by now.

As for the screenshots, I have to say the look good and they seem to keep the NWN feel as well, which is cool.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
MarFish said:
Please suck some more Troika cock on the way, you are unbalancing the universe right now.

Odd thing to tell me to do considering I never mention Troika once, or even refer to them in my reply. All I did was point out NWN2 was being made by Obsidian, not Bioware. This was to tell people who have had bad opinions of Bioware games shouldn't immediately dismiss this title because it wasn't be developed by Bioware. Where the heck did you get Troika from? They left Interplay before Black Isle ever released a game(I think).

Nothing against Obsidian but companies should be rated based what they recently did, not what some few guys did in the last century. Or at least mention the great achievements of Lionheart and IWD2 in the same sentence with talent.

So I use a word borrowed from proffesional sports with a positive connotation(i.e. talent) to say Obsidian has Feargus Urquhart and Chris Avellone working for it, who did in fact work for Black Isle. I should now go back and mention some of the bombs associated with Black Isle? I already said Black Isle, and a reasonable and knowledgable person can draw whatever links between the two they want. And when last century was only 5 years ago... I think its more than fair to mention what they did last century. But I didn't!!!! So why are you on my case? I didn't even say that NWN2 was likely to be good, I just said it was in different hands then Bioware, and some of those hands use to work at Black Isle.

KotOR 2 was ooookkk, but certainly it was not a ticked for free rides, even if some people who worked on it might have touched the magical Tim Cain or parts of his body a while back. It's the same nonsense you've been spewing around before ToEE hit the shelves, second coming of Cain, da new BioWarez, bla bla bla, you should have learned by now.

First off, what does Tim Cain have to do with Bioware or Obsidian? In a small industry they probably know each other... but I certainly didn't bring him up. Second, I didn't have the internet access when ToEE hit the shelves, so I certainly wasn't spewing anything about it. In fact, I've never played ToEE on account of it being dubbed a dungeon crawler, which I typically don't like. Finally, I don't even understand what the heck you are saying at the end there. What the bloody should I have learned?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom