Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Titan Quest devairy at GameSpot

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Titan Quest

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/">GameSpot</a> has a <A href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/titanquest/news.html?sid=6139157&mode=previews">designer diary</a> where <b>Brian Sullivan</b> talks about founding <a href="http://www.ironlore.com">Iron Lore</a> with some rich dude he knew in school and more. Here's some of the more:
<br>
<blockquote>On the technical side, we decided to develop our own technology after determining there was no third-party tech that would allow us to create the game we wanted to. Our first programmer, Max McGuire, spearheaded the development of our graphics technology, enabling the great visuals we have in the game. He also developed an incredibly sophisticated terrain system that allows streaming worlds, and that combines tiles with a height-map system, along with a realistic-looking texture-blending system. To go along with the terrain system, we developed a powerful level editor that is incredibly easy to use. We will ship this editor with the game and expect it to be very popular among modders.</blockquote>
<br>
Super easy level editors kick ass.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>EvoG</b>!
<br>
<br>

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Yes, its true - nowadays every developer, when talking about game development, stresses graphics, not gameplay. That is really worrying since we all know that even the hardest graphic-whores wont enjoy the game with super-mega-uuber-cool graphics, but empty gameplay.

I mean, that would even be great PR - talk about your gameplay innovations (and there is definetly some room for innovations) rather than how cool graphics you are making.

They, for example, could have added, that this terrain heightmap reflects on the game and how.But no, they blend textures instead of making game.

Balor

Arcane
Well, it's not that obvious - gameplay is kinda different for everyone, like, for instance, some may absolutely hate realistic schedule of NPCs and shops cause they want to get quests/sell loot 24/7.
But graphics, if it's good, is equally good for everyone.
It's lame, of course, but I suspect it's true.

franc kaos

Liturgist
Balor said:
Well, it's not that obvious - gameplay is kinda different for everyone, like, for instance, some may absolutely hate realistic schedule of NPCs and shops cause they want to get quests/sell loot 24/7.
But graphics, if it's good, is equally good for everyone.
It's lame, of course, but I suspect it's true.

I really liked this
One of the first things that jumped out at me is that, as of yet, Titan Quest has no real storyline or characters, just a setting -- Ancient Greece and Egypt. Indeed, according to Iron Lore, they believe that the storyline of an RPG is so important that they're not going to risk screwing it up by doing it themselves. Instead they've spent the first 18 months of the development cycle getting the technology and the gameplay right. They wanted the game's technological systems to be fun enough in their own right that a great storyline and a deep, rich world would be the icing on the cake, not a desperate attempt to hide flawed gameplay structures.
from a preview. I'm gonna use this in another thread to make a point. It sounds pretty interesting, but why does every game company need to make an action RPG. I think everyone needs to start writing it out longhand, Role-Playing Game, not just as a game classification.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I would disagree that everyone agrees on good graphics. For instance, there is a huge argument between fans of World of Warcraft and Everquest II over which game has the better graphics. Some people say that the more "realistic" graphics are, the better, whereas others prefer more stylistic graphics.

I'm talking out my ass here, but I suspect that the older gaming demographic has a greater tendency to prefer stylistic graphics. When you're old enough to have seen several generations of "realistic" graphics that everyone once cooed over, and noticed how those graphics look like shit just a few years later, you start to appreciate graphics with a classy, non-realistic style.

Go back to 1998... I'd say that the graphics in Grim Fandango have aged a lot better than those in Half Life or Thief.

bryce777

Erudite
DamnElfGirl said:
I would disagree that everyone agrees on good graphics. For instance, there is a huge argument between fans of World of Warcraft and Everquest II over which game has the better graphics. Some people say that the more "realistic" graphics are, the better, whereas others prefer more stylistic graphics.

I'm talking out my ass here, but I suspect that the older gaming demographic has a greater tendency to prefer stylistic graphics. When you're old enough to have seen several generations of "realistic" graphics that everyone once cooed over, and noticed how those graphics look like shit just a few years later, you start to appreciate graphics with a classy, non-realistic style.

Go back to 1998... I'd say that the graphics in Grim Fandango have aged a lot better than those in Half Life or Thief.

That's an interesting point.

I agree.

That is why I have decided to go for very stylized graphics instead of graphics that are supposed to portray reality. Also, it makes it easier for me to use graphics from several artists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom