Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Vault takes a look at Titan Quest

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Iron Lore; Titan Quest

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> has posted a <a href=http://titanquestgame.com/>Titan Quest</a> <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/665/665224p1.html>"first view"</a> article, summarizing what little is known about the game.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>We haven't seen much on the project during the past six or seven months, which has led some observers to wonder about its progress. At the moment, there isn't a great deal of buzz or anticipation; admittedly, this may change when publisher THQ ramps up its publicity efforts over the coming months. Despite the positive initial indications noted above, it's currently not easy to have any solid feeling for how the game will actually play.
<br>
<br>
There's definitely ample reason for optimism with respect to how Titan Quest will turn out. However, it would seem prudent to exercise at least a modicum of restraint so as not to become overly enthusiastic until we know more about it, especially how it plays.</blockquote>
<br>
It's nice that some sites show more caution and reason instead of posting "OMG! This game is so awesome and graphics are so purty! It will be the best game ever!"
<br>
<br>

Chefe

Erudite
Well, I think the game looks promising.

It's nice that some sites show more caution and reason instead of posting "OMG! This game is so awesome and graphics are so purty! It will be the best game ever!"

IGN is changing their style? :lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Chefe said:
Well, I think the game looks promising.
It does, but it's nothing more than "Diablo in Ancient Greece" game. If that's what you expect then the game is promising, otherwise... I hope they will spend less time thinking of what makes a good action RPG and more time studying D2 - the bible of action RPGs.

IGN is changing their style? :lol:
IGN wouldn't, RPG Vault might.

Chefe

Erudite
Yea, that's pretty much what I expect.

Moving away from elves, dwarves, and trolls is a good first step though. No need to rush things.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
WHAT!!! No elves??!! You filthy bastard. So, I'm going to have to look at normal human titties (the human is normal, not the titties, which will most likely be not)? Disappointing.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The game will probably get panned by the media with low-80% scores unless THQ starts bribing them. It's the same with every other game.

Chefe

Erudite
Who cares? It'll pave the way for more RPGs (action or traditional) to NOT USE ELVES and other Tolkieneque fantasy bullshit that we've been being fed for way to long now.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Chefe said:
Who cares? It'll pave the way for more RPGs (action or traditional) to NOT USE ELVES and other Tolkieneque fantasy bullshit that we've been being fed for way to long now.

No, it won't. Diablo didn't have elves back in 1996.

Chefe

Erudite
It still had the typical fantasy world, though. To an extent.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Ultima IV didn't have elves, and that's way back in '85.

As long as D&D is still the king, mainstream, standard of "fantasy" then we will be subjected to elves and such because hey, apparently that's what sells.

Bobbin

Novice
Being a lurker usually I think I will step up for this one since I was able to play it on the Games Convention in Leipzig. The one thing that really stands out, and not just on the screens, is the environment. Very seldom did I see any game which put so much effort into details. It really had a world-ish feel to it. In most games you just know that the game worlds ends there, just over the wall. Titan Quest managed to make you totally forget about it. Also fights looked and felt very dynamic and diversified. However, I only played a small portion of the game so I can't really foresee if this also applies to the full game. Well, to summarize this: I usually prefer 'real' RPGs like Arcanum and the likes and Diablo was the one Action-RPG that got me. Titan Quest looked even more dynamic but also added more RPG mechanics (which is good I hope), well, it just seemed to do everything right. And no, I'm not a pr guy, it was just that I didn't expect anything but after the Games Convention that was the one game that I had to tell my friends about :)

Chefe

Erudite
Bobbin said:
Being a lurker usually I think I will step up for this one since I was able to play it on the Games Convention in Leipzig. The one thing that really stands out, and not just on the screens, is the environment. Very seldom did I see any game which put so much effort into details. It really had a world-ish feel to it. In most games you just know that the game worlds ends there, just over the wall. Titan Quest managed to make you totally forget about it. Also fights looked and felt very dynamic and diversified. However, I only played a small portion of the game so I can't really foresee if this also applies to the full game. Well, to summarize this: I usually prefer 'real' RPGs like Arcanum and the likes and Diablo was the one Action-RPG that got me. Titan Quest looked even more dynamic but also added more RPG mechanics (which is good I hope), well, it just seemed to do everything right. And no, I'm not a pr guy, it was just that I didn't expect anything but after the Games Convention that was the one game that I had to tell my friends about :)

Thanks for the review.

The details, especially the little ones, are something that really impressed me when looking at the videos and screenshots. Also, the wide arrange of skills and the ability to create custom classes that they promise sounds really good.

How did you feel about the combat? Was it more Diablo style, Dungeon Seige (ugh) style, or something else completely?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom