Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News King of Dragon Pass Released on Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: A Sharp; HeroCraft; King of Dragon Pass

The latest edition of King of Dragon Pass, the genre-blending CYOA classic originally released back in 1999, in which you lead a clan of Iron Age Nordic tribesman in the fantasy world of Glorantha, is now available on Steam. This particular release was developed by HeroCraft, who also ported the game to Android and Windows Phone last year based on the game's 2011 iOS version. It is not the same as the GOG release from 2012 which is based on the original PC version, and as such it carries a higher price tag - $12 rather than $6. Here's a trailer and some details from original KoDP developer A Sharp:

King of Dragon Pass will be coming to Steam on 28 July. But the game has been available for mobile (iOS, Android, and Windows Phone), as well as the original version (either on CD or as patched to be downloadable by GOG.com). So what exactly is coming to Steam?

The version on Steam is essentially the mobile version, but tuned for desktop and laptop screen sizes (I ran it on a 30 inch iMac, but it should run on a 1024 x 576 netbook). HeroCraft has been responsible for the Steam versions, since I’ve been busy with Six Ages, so I am not completely sure of the specifics. But I believe the Steam achievements are the same as those we added in 2.0. There are also Steam Cards (which may have some new art).

So if you played on Windows or Mac before, you’d be moving from 1.7 to 2.2. There are 48 new scenes and 4 new illustrations (plus a new Lore map). There are also new advisors, and a lot more advice in management screens. There are also more treasures. We made many bug fixes (such as unblocking two of the original scenes), and fixed typos. You no longer have to worry about sheep. The economics system should no longer be quite as harsh, with death spirals less likely. (Rest assured that the game is still difficult, especially on the Hard setting.)

The Tula screen was too difficult to rework, but it wasn’t part of game play. And HeroCraft originally started their porting before our scene contest, so those scenes are currently only in the iOS version.

We like to avoid spoilers, so it’s hard to talk about just what the four dozen new scenes are about. We did mention the Troll Hero before, however. And here’s the artwork for one of them.

So if you have played King of Dragon Pass on a laptop or desktop, but not a mobile device, there’s a lot of new stuff. And if you haven’t played at all, now’s your chance!​

No word on whether this version will make it to GOG, but based on previous experience with these kinds of Steam rereleases, I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Seems like this might finally be the ultimate edition I've been waiting for. Still going to wait for them to patch it up though. Apparantly there is some missing content and other technical mishaps going on at the moment. Devs already commented that they've run into some problems but that all content will be put into this version. Which frankly makes it a must buy for me. Amazing to see this gem make it back into the light so strongly lately!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/29/king-of-dragon-pass-new-version-steam/#more-304375

Barbarian

Arcane
I had no idea the phone versions had new content. I don't play much on my android phone but having dragon pass on it as a potential passtime would be very neat.

I played the game less than two years ago. Would you guys say the new content enough to justify a replay and purchase?

leferd

Augur
Will probably get it after a Steam sale. In the meantime, it's still very solid on iOS.

flabbyjack

Arcane
It's already one of the few 'perfect' touchpad/smartphone games, so there's no need to get it on Steam too... but I'm glad this is finally on Steam so more people can see what a real video game should be.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've been a marathon of new games thanks to the RPG Renaissance and have wanted to revisit some of my old favorites. Maybe this is my cue.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Apparently one of their devs is russian and has a VAC ban, talk about random. Buying it anyway though.
In Russia it works the other way around, you enter Steam on a VAC ban then work your way though the dota 2 ranks insulting enough people until you make a name for yourself, then you get a full account.

It's already one of the few 'perfect' touchpad/smartphone games
Except it doen't work on Android phones :killit:

A shame that the tulla screen won't return. From what I hear the only reason it was removed was because reworking all of the assets to fit the phone screen and be visible would be difficult, so surely adding it back in to the PC version wouldn't be too much to ask?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom