Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview NWN2 Q&A and preview at 1Up

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Neverwinter Nights 2

<a href="http://www.1up.com/">1Up</a> has a combo <A href="http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3145707">preview and interview</a> about <A href="http://www.atari.com/nwn2">Neverwinter Nights 2</a>. The preview part is fairly lackluster, but there's fun things in the interview section like:
<br>
<blockquote><b>1UP: You've been working with Dungeons & Dragons on several games, for many years. Do you ever find it restrictive?
<br>
<br>
Feargus Urquhart:</b> I think a lot of it is...when you first start making games you're just really excited, and at some point it comes to: "I want to make the game I want to make." And then eventually you get over that, and you realize that this is your job -- you get to come in every morning and make games, and hang out with the press, and go to E3 and all those things. You get over the idea that there are things you can't do exactly the way you want to do them. Of course: there's a license and there are rules to follow. But the good thing is that if you accept the license for what it is, you can tell whatever story you want. It's almost the difference between a good fantasy movie and a bad fantasy movie: In a good fantasy movie, the fantasy is just a backdrop, and the story is the reason you watch. How we try to look at our games is...we can tell whatever story we want, or do whatever we want with the game; we're just doing it within a license. Having said that, do we get frustrated? Of course.
<br>
<br>
Let's say we want a monster to look or act a certain way and it's something that Wizards of the Coast doesn't feel fits in with Forgotten Realms -- then we don't get to do it. And sometimes we put time and energy and emotion into it...and it kind of blows. But you roll with it. If you're saying that the license is stopping you from making the game, maybe that's an excuse. Maybe you need to try harder. We've all played licensed games that are amazing, and we've all played licensed games that have sucked ass. It's all about how the developer goes about it. </blockquote>
<br>
Okay, you're a painter.. But you can only paint fruit. See, fruit paintings is what the majority of people out there are willing to buy. You may want to paint more detailed landscapes, but those only appeal to a smaller segment of the population so you can't. For you, there's fruit. Aren't you happy you became a painter?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I thought this was the News Section. Not the Spam Section.

R00fles!

Visbhume

Prophet
Re: NWN2 Q&A and preview at 1Up

Saint_Proverbius said:
Okay, you're a painter.. But you can only paint fruit. See, fruit paintings is what the majority of people out there are willing to buy. You may want to paint more detailed landscapes, but those only appeal to a smaller segment of the population so you can't. For you, there's fruit. Aren't you happy you became a painter?

A most unfortunate metaphor! The Still life is a honored tradition in the pictorial art.

From Wikipedia:
A still life is a work of art which represents a subject composed of inanimate objects. Popular in Western art since the 17th century, still life paintings, such as of flowers or fruit, give the artist more leeway in the arrangement of design elements within a composition than do paintings of other types of subjects such as landscape or portraiture.

Ellester

Liturgist
I’ve never had a desired to create a mod, but from what I’m hearing from these articles. It seems like this will be the first time one can really create what one wants, at least when it comes to d&d games. NWN mods at first were all cookie cutter, same buildings and dungeons, etc… It looks like the mods will all have a distinctive look and feel to them. I have to admit I’m starting to get interested, as the tool set sounds pretty sweet.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Re: NWN2 Q&A and preview at 1Up

Visbhume said:
A most unfortunate metaphor! The Still life is a honored tradition in the pictorial art.

From Wikipedia:
A still life is a work of art which represents a subject composed of inanimate objects. Popular in Western art since the 17th century, still life paintings, such as of flowers or fruit, give the artist more leeway in the arrangement of design elements within a composition than do paintings of other types of subjects such as landscape or portraiture.

Which is why wikis suck. The MAN just put that in there to keep the indentured painters on a short leash.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I do think Feargus' point is well articulated and spot on. Nice to hear some straight talk for a change.

Kuato

Liturgist
I guess that means the best part about working with the D&D license is if the game doesn't meet expectations we can always blame WoTC or Atari :)

Drakron

Arcane
Yes ... reminds me when Tomb Raider 2 bombed and they blamed the TR:AoD poor sales for the movie failure.

Second Chance

Liturgist
dojoteef said:
I do think Feargus' point is well articulated and spot on. Nice to hear some straight talk for a change.

Agreed 100%.

I dont understand your remarks proverbius. If he's saying A, it's because he's saying A. If he's saying not-A, it's because he's saying not-A. Can't you be objective for a change? Or is that because he didn't mention the word "FALLOUT" every sentence?

If WotC / Atari are cutting his wings then sure, let him blame them if things go wrong! ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom